Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #501
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2006 31' Classic
2008 25' International
Traverse City, San Diego , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
I just went out and looked at my rear door seals. I have two inner, full seals, but the outer seal just goes over the top and down a few inches. Yes there is some dust inside the door frame. 4streams: Your outer seal goes all the way around your door? Also, the seal on the inside frame can easily be pulled way. Does than need to be glued into place??
GailMiller: Yes, the outer seal goes around the whole door jamb. The inner most seal only slides off if I pull on the edge of the jamb to get in the back door. Since it slides back on easily I don't think it necessarily needs glue.
4streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #502
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
I just went out and looked at my rear door seals. I have two inner, full seals, but the outer seal just goes over the top and down a few inches. Yes there is some dust inside the door frame. 4streams: Your outer seal goes all the way around your door? Also, the seal on the inside frame can easily be pulled way. Does than need to be glued into place??

Hi Gail,

Mine is just like yours (see picture). I had a leakage problem and my dealership thought it was because the inner seals meet at the same spot, bottom middle of the door, and there was a gap which could allow water to enter. They just used black silicone caulk to close the gap and it seems to be working fine now.

Erik

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	287637
badgeruw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #503
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeruw View Post
Hi Gail,

Mine is just like yours (see picture). I had a leakage problem and my dealership thought it was because the inner seals meet at the same spot, bottom middle of the door, and there was a gap which could allow water to enter. They just used black silicone caulk to close the gap and it seems to be working fine now.

Erik

Attachment 287637
Thank you Erik! Yes, mine is exactly like yours. I'll caulk it at the bottom gap.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #504
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Finally getting out to camp since getting it back from the recall work and running the air conditioning for the first time. Very cool on this 93 degree day cooled off nicely. Issue though kicked on the refrigerator and just checked on it after a few hours and not cooling down at all. Switched to gas and it immediately started to cool. It was not a problem before and wondering will the ac running cause the fridge to not cool on electric? This may sound dumb but I can't figure out why else it wouldn't work on electric but no prob on gas. Our other trips were in the winter /spring so no A/C needed on those times. Also side note the dealership worked on the grey tank sensor and left the grey tank full. Didn't notice until we are completely set up on our NO sewer site [emoji49]. Y'all lesson learned check that out first !!
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:19 AM   #505
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
FricknFrack,

Glad to hear you are finally getting to enjoy your BC as well. I notice that you are towing with a Range Rover Sport… me, too. What is your set-up for a brake controller? I am using a Prodigy RF wireless brake controller, but I am having difficulty pairing once I disconnect the trailer from my tow vehicle. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Katherine

Using the Prodigy also with our Rangerover and have not had any problems with pairing. Not sure why you are expecting it to pair after disconnecting from your tow vehicle? I just chock the wheels.
FricknFrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #506
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FricknFrack View Post
Using the Prodigy also with our Rangerover and have not had any problems with pairing. Not sure why you are expecting it to pair after disconnecting from your tow vehicle? I just chock the wheels.
It is only paired up when it is connected to your vehicle, I believe. Seems like I disconnected mine once, it said it was 'connected, but once I pulled out of range my camper it showed 'NC' (not connected).
Old 06-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #507
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
Quote:
It is only paired up when it is connected to your vehicle, I believe. Seems like I disconnected mine once, it said it was 'connected, but once I pulled out of range my camper it showed 'NC' (not connected).

Isn't that how it's supposed to work? Only when hooked up to the TV?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #508
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
Just to clarify…. Once I am finished towing the trailer and park it, I disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle. Then when I return to tow the trailer again, and hook it up, the brake controller won't pair with the trailer, it just says, "NC". However, if I connect the trailer to another TV, it will pair "C", then I can connect it to my car. Confusing, I know.
4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:09 AM   #509
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is noting "smart" on the trailer side of the 7 pin connector that hooks up the brakes and lights. The modern "reset this / stop that first" stuff does not apply on the trailer side. By far the most common issue doing a hookup is a dirty connector. Contact cleaner to wash it out and then silicone based lube to keep it dry is the normal fix.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #510
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
Just saw that Airstream is advertising the 'new' 2018 BC with an 'Upgraded electrical system including a multi-stage converter and an improved battery disconnect feature.'

What exactly is a multi-stage converter n why doesn't MY NEW 2017 BC have one? I don't even have my 2017 BC a half year n there's already a new & improved 2018 version? [emoji58]
Old 06-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #511
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
These new "features" are usually the replacements for the "inexpensive" parts they initially installed and are having issues with recently.

I watched our 2014 Classic being built in January of 2014. The 2015s came out in June 2014. We are so glad we purchased when we did. There is no way I would want any Classic since the start of the 2015 model year.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #512
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thornhill , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FricknFrack View Post
Just saw that Airstream is advertising the 'new' 2018 BC with an 'Upgraded electrical system including a multi-stage converter and an improved battery disconnect feature.'

What exactly is a multi-stage converter n why doesn't MY NEW 2017 BC have one? I don't even have my 2017 BC a half year n there's already a new & improved 2018 version? [emoji58]
Multi stage converter protects battery from overcharging by switching to trickle charge once fully charged. Short battery life common complaint with standard charge controller. For what you pay for AS, multi stage should be standard.
Victor J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #513
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J View Post
For what you pay for AS, multi stage should be standard.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #514
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
Thanks, Erik!!! I will ask my Land Rover dealership as I am not mechanically-inclined at all. It has been an ordeal to say the least.

Usually car dealerships are not much help with brake controls etc. Airstream North West should be able to install a prodigy P2 for you.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #515
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Around here at least, we have "custom equipment" outfits that do a pretty good job on things like brake controllers. They also sell hitches, caps, and 24" lift kits.

Bob
Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #516
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Around here at least, we have "custom equipment" outfits that do a pretty good job on things like brake controllers. They also sell hitches, caps, and 24" lift kits.

Bob

24 inch lift kits?!? Would love to see a picture of what that looks like on an airstream, lol. Assuming you mean for the TV.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:15 AM   #517
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
24 inch lift kits?!? Would love to see a picture of what that looks like on an airstream, lol. Assuming you mean for the TV.
Hi

Some of these guys are crazy enough (and a few are good enough) that you might get them to put a 24" kit on an AS. Indeed, the main target audience is the TV.

I wonder what happens when you call up the hitch factory and ask for a shank that will adapt to your stock Honda Civic to an AS with a 24" lift kit on it ?

Bob
Old 07-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #518
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Fridge issues on propane

Hello all!

We took delivery of our 2018 BaseCamp two weeks ago and love the size and design. Right away we discovered an issue with the fridge not cooling, while the freezer compartment works just fine. The dealership took a look and installed a second fan in the vent compartment to help move the fridge exhaust out faster.

Well, this solution works fine on shore power, but not on propane. We've discovered that on propane, our fridge will cool to a max of 58 degrees (day or night). Switching to shore power, it cools down to 35 or so in several hours.

When on propane, the flame shroud seems to generate so much heat it interferes with the fridge. It also heats up spots on the counter inside, above the fridge, which is annoying more than anything. Removing the tank cover and even the fridge vent to increase airflow (just as a test) had no impact on the fridge temp.

Anyone else having trouble with proper operation of the fridge when running on propane? We'd love to know if this is common or not and some ideas on fixes or hacks, before we take it in for service. We boondock exclusively, so this issue is critical for us.
thanks!
JuniperRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #519
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
It's under warranty. Don't accept "make-do" solutions. Insist that they put in a new fridge that works properly and then ensure that everything is ducted sufficiently so the fridge can do its job.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #520
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperRoad View Post
Hello all!

We took delivery of our 2018 BaseCamp two weeks ago and love the size and design. Right away we discovered an issue with the fridge not cooling, while the freezer compartment works just fine. The dealership took a look and installed a second fan in the vent compartment to help move the fridge exhaust out faster.

Well, this solution works fine on shore power, but not on propane. We've discovered that on propane, our fridge will cool to a max of 58 degrees (day or night). Switching to shore power, it cools down to 35 or so in several hours.

When on propane, the flame shroud seems to generate so much heat it interferes with the fridge. It also heats up spots on the counter inside, above the fridge, which is annoying more than anything. Removing the tank cover and even the fridge vent to increase airflow (just as a test) had no impact on the fridge temp.

Anyone else having trouble with proper operation of the fridge when running on propane? We'd love to know if this is common or not and some ideas on fixes or hacks, before we take it in for service. We boondock exclusively, so this issue is critical for us.
thanks!
One of my copper tubes, coming from my LP gas bottles, was crimped. My Basecamp is at the dealer now getting that replaced and the new axle. You might want to check your copper tubes and make sure one isn't crimped. Someone else mentioned a crimped one. Of course, if your other LP things are working, that's not the problem with your refrigerator. Just a thought though.