Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #421
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
New Basecamp Looking Good!!!!

As there are many posts of some folks who got early models and certainly had issues, I'll update the group with my new delivery. We ordered our BC in October of last year. It arrived in February of 2017. We patiently waited for the axle recall work to be done which delayed our original pickup date. Then the fridge recall got issued which got done just before our pickup this past Saturday May 20.

We were very anxious to see our new BC for the first time based on many issues raised on the forum. We are very pleased to report our BC looks great. The workmanship is very satisfactory. The team at Colonial Airstream was terrific. We received a detailed demonstration and walkthrough from Kevin. We met the service and parts department who reviewed the standard procedures for warranty work. Without asking, he mentioned they are willing to send out replacement parts that I could change myself. As the dealership is not close to me, I will gladly do the necessary work (I actual enjoy doing this kind of stuff). Colonial had the potential issues list of all the items of concern that we emailed to them. Each item was checked to ensure it was correct and properly installed. The experience was very positive and we are relieved as you could imagine, especially given all the negative experiences folks have been having.

It towed nicely behind my 2017 RAM 1500 (no weight distribution / anti sway hitch, regular plain jane drop 2 5/16" ball). It survived a 3.5 hour traffic nightmare from central NJ through NYC (BQE included!) to Long Island. The BC tucked nicely on the side of my house as we had hoped.

We plan our first trip this coming weekend so we will see how everything works!

Some small issues we noticed:
1. It appears the height of the low tables in preparation for bed mode are slightly too high. I need to examine this further. The fold outs do not sit cleanly on the bench and table. FYI - AS added an O ring within the table leg receiver to address the problem people were having where the legs wouldn't come out.
2. Rear screen is not stretched out enough for all the snaps to reach. I am thinking it will need some time to stretch out.
3. Some USB ports, solar status panel and systems level status panel are either partially or completely obstructed by the cushions. I bet later model years will relocate these.
4. As some folks have mentioned, a traditional "cigarette lighter" style 12V port would be advantageous and offer a larger degree of flexibility. The BC does not have one. Looks like you could add one rather easily. Perhaps this makes it to the new models!
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:23 AM   #422

Cherryville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I now have 3000 miles on my BC and am now glad I bought it. In someone's comments a non owner mentioned mold issues. There are NO mold issues. The dealer (Bay Area Airstream) has worked hard at rebuilding the things because of poor design and quality control from corporate. It suits my needs perfectly. It's easy to handle and comfortable. I just returned from Yosemite and it was HOT. The air conditioner is very noisy but very welcome. First time out with the new axle and tires. It's finally working out.
I am the non owner you speak of. If you develope a leak rest assured you will have mold. Other owners have had this issue. You state the dealer is rebuilding the things because of poor design and QC from corporate? My points exactly. Poor designs and engineering don't sell for $35-40k. Noisy A/C, new axles and the long list of other serious issues? If this is Airstreams best, just think about the hidden shoddy work you don't see on the assembly line.
A few posts up another new BC owner talks about the dealership being so nice to send him parts that he could install? Are you kidding me? Would anyone buy a new car or truck and be satisfied with this?
You just cannot make this stuff up...unbelievable. Yes, your right I am the non owner and will be a never owner.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #423
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
New to this forum and hace read all of the issues with the BC. My wife and I had really considered a BC for travel as she will be retiring in the near future.

Based on what I have read and learned on here there is no way I would ever consider purchasing a 38-40k BC. Leaks, mold issues, axle replacements, holes in water tanks, doors not stay secure, to name just a few, where is the quaility control with Air Stream? Sounds like a post BC purchase employment system for dealerships to keep their techs busy.

Thanks to the many BC owners on this forum for posting up the issues. I can't imagine laying out 40k plus and having to deal with any of the issues posted on here. This is 2017, one would think that anything Air Stream would be top shelf. Wow, it appears not so. Our closest dealer here in Western NC is a few hours away in SC. So running a BC back to a dealer for poor design flaws or QC is not something I find appealing.

Again thank you for this information. This research has saved my wife and I from making a very poor financial choice.

-Patriot
Quote:
I am the non owner you speak of. If you develope a leak rest assured you will have mold. Other owners have had this issue. You state the dealer is rebuilding the things because of poor design and QC from corporate? My points exactly. Poor designs and engineering don't sell for $35-40k. Noisy A/C, new axles and the long list of other serious issues? If this is Airstreams best, just think about the hidden shoddy work you don't see on the assembly line.
A few posts up another new BC owner talks about the dealership being so nice to send him parts that he could install? Are you kidding me? Would anyone buy a new car or truck and be satisfied with this?
You just cannot make this stuff up...unbelievable. Yes, your right I am the non owner and will be a never owner.
Since your only two posts on this forum are telling us you are not, and never will be, an Airstream owner, why are you even here? And why are you bothering to remind us you will never own one?
There are many other models of RVs out there, good luck finding one that meets your expectations.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:31 AM   #424
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Patriot, I was with you up until your last sentence.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:37 AM   #425
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto.

Patriot your message is loud and clear.

Thank you.

No need to repeat it again in my opinion.

Happy Trails . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #426
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
A trailer isn't a car or truck, so I'm not sure why you are trying to compare them. They aren't even manufactured in the same way. I bought my trailer from a dealer 1100 miles away, and would much rather replace a minor part myself than tow it to a dealer and wait however long to get the appointment. I suspect that most AS owners do at least some of the minor work on their trailers themselves, just so that they know it's done right and so that they are confident they could take care of some things if they come up while traveling.

None of my points are intended to excuse shoddy workmanship, because that's different than things coming up during the 2 year warranty that need attention, and that was the point of the parts being sent to the owner.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #427
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I appreciate this thread and the Basecamp owners describing their issues with the new design. We will be looking at the Basecamp this fall and it has been very helpful to know the problem areas we should be aware of.

We have owned two new Airstreams, traveling and camping in them for over 1500 nights. The towing quality is the best, there is value in design and pride of ownership, and when selling our Airstreams we learned the retained value is very good.

It is actual experience that makes this forum useful. I am hoping the present Basecamp owners work through their problems and continue to give us updates.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #428
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I am confident the 2018 Basecamps will be superior to the 2017 Basecamps, in terms of fewer obvious problems such as leaks, improperly installed door gaskets, screens that don't fit, and doors flying open in transit. The 2019 models may be better yet.

Airstream deserves significant heat for such a wobbly introduction of a new model, but there is plenty of reason to hope for and expect better from them in future BaseCamp model years. We'll see what they learned about new model introductions when the Nest and their much rumored B+ Sprinter-based camper are released. We'll also see what they've learned about producing a better BaseCamp model when the 2018 models show up. Crossing fingers!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #429
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2006 31' Classic
2008 25' International
Traverse City, San Diego , Michigan
In light of all I've read here I thought I'd make a post. No doubt many of the early Basecamps came with some frustrating problems.

I recently took delivery of a new Basecamp manufactured the later part of April. I had originally planned to buy one off the floor in December, but it was subject to the water tank issue so I ordered one instead.

After purchasing I went straight from the dealer to a campsite and started throughly testing everything. It was hot and humid when I picked it up and the following night it was in the 30’s. It also stormed hard several times then and since. It was a great opportunity to put it through the paces. The only thing I found wrong was a small water leak from a compression fitting under the seat on the road side, so I took it back to the dealer straight off and they fixed it. Not sure it would have been noticeable in the PDI. Other than that, everything has worked fine and I see no evidence of the issues that have plagued the earlier units.

I will agree (and hope Airstream is listening) a 12 volt plug mounted on the galley cabinet would be very beneficial for running a portable Fantastic Fan, which given the higher mounted windows would help generate some breeze with the doors closed.

So far, I am VERY HAPPY with the purchase, though I empathize with the early buyers and the problems they've had.
4streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #430
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
I'm going on week 5 with my BC sitting at the dealer waiting for all the parts to show up. Getting increasingly frustrated and impatient not only with just the long wait but also with lack of knowing when it might actually be done n back to me. It's not the dealerships fault I know but I just don't feel like there is any sense of urgency on part of corporate to do their best to make it all happen. They send out parts from who knows where without any tracking or knowledge when they will get there...I guess they made their sale and got their $$$$ n now is my problem n they will make it happen when it's convenient for them to get it done...[emoji58][emoji58][emoji58]
FricknFrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #431
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FricknFrack View Post
I'm going on week 5 with my BC sitting at the dealer waiting for all the parts to show up. Getting increasingly frustrated and impatient not only with just the long wait but also with lack of knowing when it might actually be done n back to me. It's not the dealerships fault I know but I just don't feel like there is any sense of urgency on part of corporate to do their best to make it all happen. They send out parts from who knows where without any tracking or knowledge when they will get there...I guess they made their sale and got their $$$$ n now is my problem n they will make it happen when it's convenient for them to get it done...[emoji58][emoji58][emoji58]
What parts are you waiting for? My axle and tires are in but my dealer was unaware of the service bulletin on the refrigerator. I've seen that bulletin and I don't like the 'fix' at all!! I think the grills on the front, behind the LP cover are being replaced, I could be wrong. Those may have to be ordered. I don't want to take mine to the dealer and have it sit there waiting for parts.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 PM   #432
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
Now it's the water tank that they are waiting for - replacing the one they drilled the holes into...it was ordered is all they can tell me.
FricknFrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #433
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FricknFrack View Post
Now it's the water tank that they are waiting for - replacing the one they drilled the holes into...it was ordered is all they can tell me.
Thank you.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #434
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
seattle , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
Colonial had the potential issues list of all the items of concern that we emailed to them. Each item was checked to ensure it was correct and properly installed. The experience was very positive and we are relieved as you could imagine, especially given all the negative experiences folks have been having.
This is so great to hear! I am picking up my BC on Thursday. Would you be willing to share the email you sent to them? I have been keeping a list of items to ask about. I am a rank beginner in travel trailers so any help or thoughts from others would be appreciated!
lovetosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #435
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
seattle , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4streams View Post

After purchasing I went straight from the dealer to a campsite and started throughly testing everything. It was hot and humid when I picked it up and the following night it was in the 30’s. It also stormed hard several times then and since. It was a great opportunity to put it through the paces. The only thing I found wrong was a small water leak from a compression fitting under the seat on the road side, so I took it back to the dealer straight off and they fixed it. Not sure it would have been noticeable in the PDI. Other than that, everything has worked fine and I see no evidence of the issues that have plagued the earlier units.

So far, I am VERY HAPPY with the purchase, though I empathize with the early buyers and the problems they've had.
Really happy to hear this as I pick up my BC on Thursday. I understand this is a forum for BC issues, but do you know if there another forum for people who are out using and enjoying their BC? I don't want to be insensitive to those experiencing issues as I may have some myself in the future!
lovetosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #436

Please feel free to start another thread to discuss your successful BaseCamp adventures! Can't wait to read about that, too.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #437
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Fans of the Basecamp thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...mp-157390.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #438

That seems more of a "fans" thread. Maybe it would be good to create a "BaseCamp Adventures" thread? Whatever, I'll read posts wherever they are.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:18 AM   #439
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
How do u start a thread, I love the BC Adventures idea.
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 AM   #440
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you *really* want to make the rest of us jealous of your Basecamp - post lots of pictures of the tiny / secluded sites you are camping in

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote