Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #181
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
The other thing that any owner can for do themselves is to change the mounted tire out, the installed spec'd tire is 225/55R18 with a diameter of 27.7” switching out to a 225/45R18 would change that to 26" pulling it back away from the well more than 3/4” which should be fine if it was "just" making contact.
I feel bad that when I provided these numbers I used the wrong information, from the manual, since then multiple sources have confirmed the correct information.

The numbers stated above would not work for weight rating, which led to the other search.

Following up on the correct information, I wanted to provide tire sizes that would actually work and meet specifications.

255/45R18XL this is the same width tire, just a smaller diameter, these would pull the tire back 1” from the well and have a derated capacity of 3506 lbs @ 51psi (for two)

265/45R18XL this tire is slightly wider, normal is 10” these are 10.4” so you would need to check fit. These would only pull back 3/4” from the well. Being a larger tire and holding more air they have a derated capacity of 3607 @ 50 psi (for two)

Note - all tires need to be XL
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #182
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thornhill , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
I've had my Basecamp a couple of weeks. Still waiting for the dealership to mail me the title, so I can get tags for it. I did notice that the seal on the bathroom door sticks to the door when you open it, which in my opinion will make the door not waterproof. On the hinge side of the door facing, the seal was not installed properly, in my opinion, and the sticky part sticks to the door when you open it. I will ask about a recall on the water tank. That is discouraging! Also, the tube that holds the sewer hose was too small to hold the hose they sold me. The cover on the hose prevented the hose from going in. I took the covers and sanded four of the 'tabs' down with a disk sander and the hose now fits.
AS recommends treating all door and window seals with silicone to keep them supple and prevent them from sticking. Have you tried that? My BC is to be delivered in May. Any advice on what to look for in delivery inspection?
Victor J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J View Post
AS recommends treating all door and window seals with silicone to keep them supple and prevent them from sticking. Have you tried that? My BC is to be delivered in May. Any advice on what to look for in delivery inspection?
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to rain on your parade, but you might want to check this other thread on the recall underway:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ll-164157.html

Not sure if your Basecamp will be reaching the dealer on schedule, as the factory is not shipping any because of the recall (as I understand things anyway).

Hope this situation works out for everyone.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #184
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
Ok we dropped off our BC today to get the fresh water tank replaced, black tank sensor fixed etc etc. but the interesting thing is we took a good long look at the tire/axle issue before heading out and there is really not much clearance. Strange thing is on the driver side the tire was noticeably much closer to the front of the wheel well than on the passenger side. No wear on passenger but the driver side which was closer showed wear to the wheel well. We have traveled probably an accumulation of 2000+ miles over 7 trips and have never had hardly any cargo other than a bed roll and some misc pots pans etc. tanks empty.. and that's it, so be careful!! not sure you can totally judge the problem occurring only when trailer is loaded down. Have about 5 issues including this that we are having worked thru. They seem pretty confident in fixing them all. Fingers crossed... I really want this to work out!
Thank you for your comment on your driver side tire showing closer to the wheel well and showing more wearing. I have mainly paid attention to my curb side tire, as my SUV is parked so close to the street side tire. Today, I looked at my street side tire and it is rubbing significantly on the wheel well, plus it is VERY close to the wheel well just sitting. I called Airstream again and they told me to contact my dealership and get on the books for the 'fix' ... when they come up with something. My dealership wanted something in writing from me regarding this, so I sent the service manager an email. Photos accompany. I've pulled it three times, home, back to the dealership and then to a local RV place for help with the brake controller. Less than 130 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0016.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	282259   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0020.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	282260  

Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #185
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Quote:
Thank you for your comment on your driver side tire showing closer to the wheel well and showing more wearing. I have mainly paid attention to my curb side tire, as my SUV is parked so close to the street side tire. Today, I looked at my street side tire and it is rubbing significantly on the wheel well, plus it is VERY close to the wheel well just sitting. I called Airstream again and they told me to contact my dealership and get on the books for the 'fix' ... when they come up with something. My dealership wanted something in writing from me regarding this, so I sent the service manager an email. Photos accompany. I've pulled it three times, home, back to the dealership and then to a local RV place for help with the brake controller. Less than 130 miles.

That looks EXACTLY like ours. Thanks for the pics.
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you guys read the details in the NHTSA recall linked recently on the Recall thread? Confirmation of your observations.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #187
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have you guys read the details in the NHTSA recall linked recently on the Recall thread? Confirmation of your observations.
I have read it. I have called and told Airstream warranty that mine is rubbing. I asked if they wanted photos, she said no. I sent photos to my dealership.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V155-9120.PDF
Old 03-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #188
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Quote:
I have read it. I have called and told Airstream warranty that mine is rubbing. I asked if they wanted photos, she said no. I sent photos to my dealership.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V155-9120.PDF

Called airstream and had the same conversation today. They are taking the stance that it is fine to continue using the trailer as long as the tire shows no wear regardless of the wheel well showing rubbing. Not sure how I feel about that. Would love to hear some opinions on this. I definitely told them this is not happening with a heavily loaded trailer and the contact occurs under normal driving conditions.
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Called airstream and had the same conversation today. They are taking the stance that it is fine to continue using the trailer as long as the tire shows no wear regardless of the wheel well showing rubbing. Not sure how I feel about that. Would love to hear some opinions on this. I definitely told them this is not happening with a heavily loaded trailer and the contact occurs under normal driving conditions.
Here is my opinion of that ... that is a HUGE liability on Airstream's part to tell you that ... I would have wanted that conversation recorded to include the name of the person that told you that. I am NOT pulling mine except back to the dealership to get it fixed. I have only pulled mine under normal driving conditions, Interstate only and it rubs!! Someone said, and I can't find the post; friction could cause a fire, plastic to rubber friction, causing fire to consume your camper. Mine is PARKED. LOL The fact that Airstream has not found it important enough to contact the owners is also troubling to me. If not for the forum, how many of us would even know about the axle recall? I think one person said they got a letter. And while I'm on a roll ... sorry ... let me go one step further ... say your axle causes you to have a wreck ... you seriously injure someone, or worse .. will your insurance company stand behind you when they find out you are pulling a camper with a recalled axle!? Mine wouldn't. Would Airstream back up that they told you it was okay to tow ... I bet not. Be safe, there is plenty of time to camp in the future. Airstream has GOT to solve this problem for the safety of all concerned. I found the comment I recalled, from RandyNH: Long term contact and rubbing would cause excessive heat to built up and be dangerous to the tire, I would also think it could cause the plastic wheel well to catch fire and consume the trailer, but bumpy entrance and access roads would just be more detrimental to the plastic wheel well.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #190
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
I am still waiting to get my rebuilt BC back from the dealership… I haven't heard from them since last week. I will check my wheels for any evidence of wear and tear… if so, I won't take it back. There's no way that I am towing it if it is not safe.
4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This all begs the question....where is Airstream, and why aren't they responding to any of this?

We know they have a presence on these Forums.

Their silence is deafening.

Maggie
Old 03-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #192
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
I am still waiting to get my rebuilt BC back from the dealership… I haven't heard from them since last week. I will check my wheels for any evidence of wear and tear… if so, I won't take it back. There's no way that I am towing it if it is not safe.
If you have to tow it, I would just stop frequently and check to make sure there isn't any excessive heat building up or any tire wear. I doubt Airstream is going to replace tires if 'we' cause the damage. :-)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #193
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
I found the comment I recalled, from RandyNH: Long term contact and rubbing would cause excessive heat to built up and be dangerous to the tire, I would also think it could cause the plastic wheel well to catch fire and consume the trailer, but bumpy entrance and access roads would just be more detrimental to the plastic wheel well.
Just to be clear, I didn't mean cause panic, just caution. It should take long term exposure to rubbing to cause a fire danger, extended periods of driving like in a cross country trip where you do long day drives. Short/local trips or overly bumpy roads where contact would be intermittent should just cause the tire to wear down/scrape the wheel well damaging it.

So yes, I would think stops to check it would be a good idea, partly to watch how much damage is being done. I'm curious as to how thick that plastic wheel well is, behind it is metal, so once the tire wears out the plastic then the metal will wear out the tire, if it's that shallow. Your picture has that tire even closer than I thought it was.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #194
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Check for signs of previous rubbing when you go to pick up the trailer - or have the dealer do that before calling you to come get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #195
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Just to be clear, I didn't mean cause panic, just caution. It should take long term exposure to rubbing to cause a fire danger, extended periods of driving like in a cross country trip where you do long day drives. Short/local trips or overly bumpy roads where contact would be intermittent should just cause the tire to wear down/scrape the wheel well damaging it.

So yes, I would think stops to check it would be a good idea, partly to watch how much damage is being done. I'm curious as to how thick that plastic wheel well is, behind it is metal, so once the tire wears out the plastic then the metal will wear out the tire, if it's that shallow. Your picture has that tire even closer than I thought it was.
My street side tire, which is rubbing, is WAY closer to the wheel well than the curb side tire, which is not rubbing. I'll check the thickness of the plastic tomorrow. ... I don't think there is metal behind it. I appreciate all your input into this matter :-)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #196
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
SoCal , California
Quote:
We purchased our Basecamp on 3-12. We left it at the dealer to take care of some warranty items we noticed when we looked at it on the lot. They ended up having to keep it for two weeks to fix the issues and order parts. We were due to pick it up on 3-25. During that time notice of the recall came out. Our dealer called us the night of 3-24 and said we couldn't pick it up, Airstream issued a stop delivery on the units until they are fixed. He said they could not release our unit to us.

If Airstream feels the issue is a safety concern, which I agree with, they should NOT be telling people to use the trailer. This is particularly bad given the potential consequences of a tire failure on a trailer, especially on a trailer as the driver in the tow vehicle cannot hear or feel the issue.

The notice of recall indicates the recall will "start" on 5-9. To me, it looks like the notified the NHTSSA on MARCH 9 of a eminent and intended recall but the actual recall is forthcoming, once they know what the actual fix is. Every recall notice I have seen (I am in the auto business) describes the issue AND the fix. Since the fix is unknown they can't technically issue the recall.

The last paragraph on page 2 of the Part 573 Filing is interesting:
"On March 8, a determination was made to initiate a recall. The hold on BaseCamp shipments was continued until the redesigned torsion axle became available for replacement on March 10, 2017"

Craziness. Both Airstream and the dealer network need to do a better job communicating these issues and timelines. These trailers are not cheap, particularly disappointing buying one and not getting to pick it up.
Joe_Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:06 PM   #197

2017 Basecamp
Bothell , Washington
Info on Fix

I talked to the GM of my Airstream dealer today. I am waiting delivery of my basecamp that I purchased on 3/19. I was told that the fix is to install a new axel that will increase ground clearance for the BC by two inches. I am assuming that this will raise the overall hight of the BC. Airstream will still need to produce/purchase and ship the new axels to the dealers. I was not given a date but I would guess this could take at minimum several weeks. He also told me that they were not informed of the issue until 3/20. Was anyone else given a different date? Was I just unlucky to purchase the day before or could it be possible I am not being told the truth????
RSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:59 AM   #198
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSawyer View Post
I talked to the GM of my Airstream dealer today. I am waiting delivery of my basecamp that I purchased on 3/19. I was told that the fix is to install a new axel that will increase ground clearance for the BC by two inches. I am assuming that this will raise the overall hight of the BC. Airstream will still need to produce/purchase and ship the new axels to the dealers. I was not given a date but I would guess this could take at minimum several weeks. He also told me that they were not informed of the issue until 3/20. Was anyone else given a different date? Was I just unlucky to purchase the day before or could it be possible I am not being told the truth????
Welcome to the forum, albeit in this baptism by fire fiasco! I do not believe that the fix will have the consequences you imagine, but reading the NHTSA recall details will inform. FYI here is the other thread specific to this BC axle recall "issue" --

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ll-164157.html

. . . where RandyNH has the NHTSA link in Post #24.

Good luck to all! We have been following the BC threads, as it looks like a great replacement for a larger AS, for owners who wish to down-size. Maybe next year!

Peter

PS -- Post #186 below -- click on arrow to go to that post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #199
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSawyer View Post
I learned about it via the forum on 3/20. When I asked the salesperson that I bought mine from when they heard, she said they got an email on 3/20.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #200
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:

Here is the thickness of the plastic that touches the tire. There is some thin foam inserted there that makes it look thicker, but it's not. I used a thickness gauge and I can get a quarter in the space, but not a quarter and a dime, so the plastic well is a bit thicker than a US quarter. When I tap on the wheel well, it sounds hollow behind it, so I don't think there is substantial metal right behind it. Just my evaluation. :-) What I measured, is the part that is coming in contact with my tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0563.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	282384