Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #61
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
(3) I have noticed the running lights and one tail light turned on in our driveway, when it is not connected to power. Is this normal with the solar panels? Or have we possibly left a switch on somewhere that we should turn off (all four interior light switches are off...)?

(4) What do you recommend for leveling the Basecamp from side to side when parking it in an uneven campsite? My understanding is that the built-in stabilizer jacks are only supposed to be used for stabilization; and not for raising one side or the other. So I'm not sure what the best approach is to level between right/left.
As an "experienced" Airstreamer, I can say with confidence that your running lights and tail lights should *not* be on unless your BC is connected to your tow vehicle and the light settings for your vehicle are driving those lights (e.g. parking lights or headlights turned on). If those lights are on when the umbilical cable is not connected to your vehicle, something is probably amiss.

For leveling our trailer we have used both Lynx blocks and Andersen Levelers. Both work well. Andersen levelers are easier but both work great. We've also used boards in the past, but they are heavy, get really wet/dirty, and become unpleasant to carry around. You are 100% correct, the stabilizer jacks are strictly for stabilizing, and should never be used in an attempt to level the trailer.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
I spoke with our dealer about the water tank issue. Says that BCs that were manufactured before December are the ones affected. Which would be ours
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmnhead View Post
That holding tank vent looks like a problem. Our back hatch door was initially difficult to open (it took both hands to pull the latch open), but I can easily do it with one hand now. It may (or not) get easier with time.

Another pointer on doors - the guy doing the walk-through with us said not to use the deadbolt when towing because they can get stuck with all the motion. Well, needless to say, the door swung open on the road (although locked) and we were lucky not to hit anyone with it. I mentioned this to the dealership and they said they "would have a talk" with the guy that told us that. SO, be sure to use the deadbolt when towing the trailer.
Wow .. that's scary. I was told to always have the deadbolts locked when traveling.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
Here's a photo of my Basecamp…
Looks like you did not put a weight distribution hitch or sway bar on yours, am I correct? Gail
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
1987 23' Sovereign
1962 22' Safari
Dallas , Texas
Ours is at the dealership in Ft.Worth because of a water leak - exact problem several have described. We took it in Saturday and was told today they were waiting on Airstream to tell them how to fix it. Hubby wrote a letter to airstream politely expressing dismay since the dealership called it a "design flaw". Also, thanks to this forum, wrote dealership & airstream about the possible tank hole and whether ours is affected. I imagine it is.
And a shout out to Trae & Ann in Garland - we're in east Dallas. Deena & Victor
dpmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
1987 23' Sovereign
1962 22' Safari
Dallas , Texas
Just got a response back from Vogt RV - "when they were made aware of the issue by airstream" they checked all units, one needed repair. So ours should be okay, will still be checking thoroughly whenever we get it back.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmarshall View Post
Ours is at the dealership in Ft.Worth because of a water leak - exact problem several have described. We took it in Saturday and was told today they were waiting on Airstream to tell them how to fix it. Hubby wrote a letter to airstream politely expressing dismay since the dealership called it a "design flaw". Also, thanks to this forum, wrote dealership & airstream about the possible tank hole and whether ours is affected. I imagine it is.
And a shout out to Trae & Ann in Garland - we're in east Dallas. Deena & Victor

Hey BC neighbor!! Hope to run into you down the road someday!! We are regular weekend haunts of the TX state parks . We are taking ours in for the "tank issue" end of March so hope that have the leak figured out by then because although we haven't had the leak I can see the separation.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmarshall View Post
Just got a response back from Vogt RV - "when they were made aware of the issue by airstream" they checked all units, one needed repair. So ours should be okay, will still be checking thoroughly whenever we get it back.

Haha if only we had that luck in the lottery! They told us that the ones made before dec were affected and we took delivery of the first one at Vogt. The second one which was a red rock they ordered would have been manufactured in November too. (it's the one we originally were going to take delivery on but the deal fell thru on the one we ended up with). So whomever owned that one probably has the defect too. I would definitely question the possibility if anyone purchased that one. It would have been off the lot.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:46 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Luna Sea service list

Made an appointment for Luna Sea March 9th was the earliest. Only issues I can see at this time is They have ordered me the tool for the spare and the ridge pole for the back tent. My service list is a place on the floor that at the least needs to be flattened out looks like small air pockets on the right side of the bathroom door. And my fridge is not working right , freezer good, regular fridge goes from correct to 50 degrees, will not hold good temp on either gas or elec. My first trip out of town is end of March so hopefully that won't be a problem. When I drop her I will ask for recall and design"flaw" info.

How do you post pictures ? I have some I'd like to share.
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Luna Sea floor

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0983.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	280403Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0984.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	280404
Old 02-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

Warren , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Gail,

Oh No!!!! I'm sure that is exactly where mine is leaking. I dropped it off yesterday and I was able to show them the water on the floor as it had just rained. The water comes in through the front, then under the counter/refrigerator and runs all over the floor. I'll try to attach some photos.

Katherine

Chalk up another one for leaking through the front and under the counter. I also had a leak right in front of the A/C unit.[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	280407  
Bogy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:34 PM   #72
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
1987 23' Sovereign
1962 22' Safari
Dallas , Texas
Glad you've been lucky on the leak issue - and I'm glad we got ours in before we had a serious disaster. We're planning to do some TX parks as soon as we get the BC back. We're so ready to get out there- hurry up airstream!l
Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
Looks like you did not put a weight distribution hitch or sway bar on yours, am I correct? Gail
No, I was told it isn't supposed to have a weight distribution hitch/sway bars. I didn't notice any issues when trailering. Land Rovers/Range Rovers have air suspension, so they self-level. Still no word on the cause of the leak... I don't think they have checked the seal around the vent yet (even though I asked them to). This has turned out to be quite a frustrating process.
4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Can't get one of the little legs out, anyone figure this out let me know, or they can deal with it on appt. day; made the bed out, it was cool, I have some Therma-rest pictures if anyone is looking for bedding ideas...Rain on Monday and Tuesday, leak checking. Can't wait to get on the road.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
No, I was told it isn't supposed to have a weight distribution hitch/sway bars. I didn't notice any issues when trailering. Land Rovers/Range Rovers have air suspension, so they self-level. Still no word on the cause of the leak... I don't think they have checked the seal around the vent yet (even though I asked them to). This has turned out to be quite a frustrating process.
Please at least use some form of sway control. Good luck, you've got a great trailer, hours and hours of memories to make.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #76
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Voice of experience here: Even after they've fixed the leak issue, keep a close eye on the area for a while. From what I'm reading here, it sounds like this leak is on the front of the BC. If so, continued verification of the fix will be especially important when towing through a driving rainstorm. One way to do that is put a towel inside your BC where the water got in before. If the towel is wet when you stop to check on things, you will need to have them try again at sealing the leak.

We had a similar experience with the forward storage door in our 27FB trailer. The door is in the front of the trailer behind the propane tanks. Took them three times to get the leaks around that door sealed up properly.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:24 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazgrass View Post
Can't get one of the little legs out, anyone figure this out let me know, or they can deal with it on appt. day; made the bed out, it was cool, I have some Therma-rest pictures if anyone is looking for bedding ideas...Rain on Monday and Tuesday, leak checking. Can't wait to get on the road.

We have the same issue with one of the table legs. Dropped it off at dealer service today, for them to look at this week as well as repairing/replacing the 7-way cable for tow vehicle connection (running/tail lights on when not connected...).

I'm definitely interested in bedding ideas. Do you have photos you can post a link to?
Diocletian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:40 PM   #78
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Seattle , Washington
Took delivery of our BC late January, the technician mentioned the fresh H2O tank problem, and that our unit came off the line after it was solved. We do have a leak above the front window just left of center, similar symptoms to those mentioned earlier. Side door leaks during freeway driving in heavy rain. Dealer couldn't reproduce window leak earlier, so will be trying them again soon. Otherwise, we enjoy our little "Dot" a great deal! Heading out again soon!
nwcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
We have the same issue with one of the table legs. Dropped it off at dealer service today, for them to look at this week as well as repairing/replacing the 7-way cable for tow vehicle connection (running/tail lights on when not connected...).

I'm definitely interested in bedding ideas. Do you have photos you can post a link to?
They are on "count down to delivery" (Basecamp)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #80
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
North Tonawanda , New York
Sorry you folks are experiencing water leaks, very disappointing. Hopefully there will be a quick permanent fix. I'm curious if anybody has any feedback on the optional tents or the solar power offered, my point being one of the main selling points is to " hitch up and go" for that quick get away which would not make the tents useful? And with no 3 way fridge the solar seems a unnecessary option, yes,no?
Twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote