Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Lubricants with powdered graphite might work well IMO. A little bit goes a long way, and the exposed threads will stain fabric, but after the liquid evaporates, a fine layer of graphite will remain. Lock Ease is available everywhere:

https://www.amazon.com/AGS-LE5-Lock-Ease/dp/B000CIJUGA

There is a non-aerosol version sold in some places:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Grea...S7M30MXEGV1SJV

which we carry wrapped in a paper towel, inside a small zip-lock bag. Very lightweight and great for locks, deadbolts, etc.. Put a few drops on a key, and operate the lock. Instant improvement!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #102
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikechuck View Post
The strap wrench is a good suggestion. How have you been getting the table tops off the short legs, when you say patience what do you mean? After trying out a Basecamp at my dealer I just concluded that I was too heavy for the bed and that my weight had jammed the tabletops onto the short legs. The dealer took the table tops and knocked them off the legs with a rubber hammer which did not see like a good long term solution to me.

Curious what approaches others have come up with.

I was sort of joking with the "patience". We pull and pull and twist and curse at the tabletops...then give up for awhile. Then we try again and it just lifts off with no effort! It's some kind of plot by Airstream to make us insane.

Will try paraffin or graphite...great suggestions, thanks!
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2019 22' Sport
Forest Grove , Oregon
Water issues

2nd time back to the dealer with leaks; they fixed the one by the gas tank or thought they had; con't to have water by the refrig and a wet rug by the side door; I guess my "rug check" will be added to my checklist to get ready to take off. Mine has not left the driveway (except back to the dealer!)
KayakGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #104
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
I picked-up my BC yesterday after three weeks in the shop for repairs. Towed it home in a Pacific NW downpour. The side door was not sealed when I got home, despite securing both locks. The inside was full of condensation and once again, water on the floor from under the refrigerator/front counter. I dried it out with a space heater and towels, only to discover more water on the floor in the morning. Back to the shop again. Also, same frustration with the short legs and table tops. This is a lot of work and I haven't even used it yet
4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Another potential leak issue from the drian hoses.

I was draining my water pump as the temps were dipping below freezing and I wanted to make sure it was empty. There are two plastic drain hoses under the camper, behind the water tank. I noticed that only one was sticking out under the camper. The smaller of the two goes to the pump. I don't know if my reaching in and flipping the switch caused the smaller hose to draw back into the camper, but if that happens and you are not aware, it could potentially flood inside the area where the pump is. I put clamps on the outside of mine to keep the hoses from retracting back into the camper. I don't think the larger hose, the one of the left would have done that, but the smaller one definitely did. Photos.

I took the two photos from two different angles. In the top photo, the smaller hose is on the right, in the bottom photo, the smaller pump hose is on the left. Sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0312.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	281419   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0314.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	281420  

Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #106
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmnhead View Post
I was sort of joking with the "patience". We pull and pull and twist and curse at the tabletops...then give up for awhile. Then we try again and it just lifts off with no effort! It's some kind of plot by Airstream to make us insane.

Will try paraffin or graphite...great suggestions, thanks!
LMNhead, we're really sorry to hear you and others are having an issue with removing the tabletops in your new Basecamp. There is supposed to be a rubber o-ring inside the cup on the bottom side of each table. The o-ring is supposed to keep the posts from jamming inside the cups. If you're able to remove the table, can you please check to see if those o-rings are there?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
CC

Thanks for the useless rant.
Hold on now. I think it is good to hear dissenting opinions. Hardly useless for somebody who is considering buying one.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #108
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
LMNhead, we're really sorry to hear you and others are having an issue with removing the tabletops in your new Basecamp. There is supposed to be a rubber o-ring inside the cup on the bottom side of each table. The o-ring is supposed to keep the posts from jamming inside the cups. If you're able to remove the table, can you please check to see if those o-rings are there?

Hey Airstream Inc, could you look around the Basecamp threads on here and also comment on some of these other issues people are having? I put a list of most of them in the 'Spare tire-Got a call...' thread. We'd all appreciate it very much!
Thanks,
Rich
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
Hold on now. I think it is good to hear dissenting opinions. Hardly useless for somebody who is considering buying one.

But dissenting opinions don't need to be nasty and insulting.
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #110
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Went to an RV show a couple weeks back and to my amazement they had a Basecamp. I had no CLUE that Airstream brought these lemons back...they were a flop the first time around. I didn't know what I was seeing...like a time warp. I STILL can't believe it...they couldn't GIVE these things away years ago.

It had rained at the show and the Basecamp was wet inside; the door did not shut flush, and every single thing in that thing SCREAMED "cheap." The propane cover was already broken, and water dripped from the ceiling by the bathroom.

I saw the price and just laughed uncontrollably. How does ANYONE fall for such a farce???

Next they'll bring back the Squarestream 5th wheel. Those sold about as well.

True it is not complimentary of Airstream, but I don't think it was intended to be. There is no vulgarity here. To suggest it has no value seems intolerant of negative attitudes toward Airstream failures. I will concede that you are entitled to your opinion, but I did appreciate the frankness of the post by Rarestream. Thanks for your comment.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post

Hi Airstream, thanks for the reply. Both tabletops have the rubber o-rings in place. The tabletops only seem to jam on the short legs. However, they don't swivel easily into different positions on either set of legs. I'm going to try paraffin or graphite, unless you have another idea.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Hi Airstream, thanks for the reply. Both tabletops have the rubber o-rings in place. The tabletops only seem to jam on the short legs. However, they don't swivel easily into different positions on either set of legs. I'm going to try paraffin or graphite, unless you have another idea.
I checked my tabletops as well… same thing, the have the rubber o-rings, but they are impossible to get off of the short legs.
4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #113
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Quote:

Same here the long legs are nonissue but those short legs are impossible!! I dread nothing more than trying to pry those tables off in the mornings.
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #114
1 Rivet Member

Georgetown , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
Hi, I thought I'd start a discussion to see if anyone else is having any production issues with their 2017 Basecamp. I was told that the water tank needs to be replaced due to holes that were inadvertently drilled in the top during the installation of the tables (this happened on many of the first units). Also, both my BC and my friend's BC have leaks (we live in Washington State). I do love the BC, but I am concerned that the quality may have suffered in the rush to get them out on the market.
After reading various complaints, we were quite concerned and becoming anxious about taking delivery. Long story short, the delivery at Camper Clinic II was smooth as silk. Our salesman, Steve was actively involved to make sure of it. Our tech guy, Donald, knew his stuff, even though being new to the Basecamp. He had the answers to our concerns regarding leaks, door seals, door locks, cranks, tents, hot water, etc. The few items that he wasn't sure about, he found the answer for us. We were advised that people who had recently bought Basecamps were perfectly happy without WD or sway control hitches when towing with a Toyota Tacoma, like we are. Our 50 mile drive home confirmed this at speeds up to 70 mph. Donald guided us through the hitch-up and brake controller settings. We also had a parts advisor recommend a number of basic items such as sewage drain, water hose, surge protector, and locks for the hitch. The prices were reasonable after a $50 gift card and 10% discount. We bought augmented 7 year warranties on the trailer, wheels, and tires. Not cheap, but worth the peace of mind to us. All in all, we were very happy with the process and look forward to hitting the road soon.

By the way, on the way home, we stopped at an empty parking lot and practiced backing up the trailer. I recommend it if you aren't already skilled at this. Getting down our long narrow driveway turned out to be relatively easy after this.

I hope that this helps ease some of the anxiety out there.
Xrad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #115
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
Same here the long legs are nonissue but those short legs are impossible!! I dread nothing more than trying to pry those tables off in the mornings.
I think that the short legs are a problem because they are used when the bed is deployed and the table tops have the weight of two people pressing them onto the short legs.

I noticed the problem when my wife and I were checking out a Basecamp at our local dealer and I just concluded that I was too heavy for a Basecamp. Now I am more hopeful that this is not just a problem for heavyweights such as me and perhaps AS can come up with a fix that would make a Basecamp suitable for my use.

I will continue to monitor this helpful thread in this most helpful online community.
bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #116
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
North Tonawanda , New York
Would capped pvc pipe over the short legs cut to the length needed to support the bed work?
Twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #117
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
Dissenting opinions that are based upon no relevant experience are, in fact, useless.

Anybody considering buying a Basecamp is ill served by such rants.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
That would still be an opinion, in my opinion, and not a "fact" -- as to a different Basecamp being considered by a new buyer.

In any event, we "get" your dissatisfaction . . . and your point is well taken.

There is The Argue Thread for folks who want to dive into the consternation pool:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ead-60297.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #119
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Well, there's a major recall about to happen and it has nothing to do with the problems we've been discussing. At the dealership for another reason and happened to hear about it. Will get more details and will report back. It's something about the axles, but NOT a safety issue.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #120
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
2017 Basecamp Issues

Quote:
Well, there's a major recall about to happen and it has nothing to do with the problems we've been discussing. At the dealership for another reason and happened to hear about it. Will get more details and will report back. It's something about the axles, but NOT a safety issue.

Just googled it and it is talked about on rvtravel.com under breaking news thanks for the heads up ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1587.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	281616
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote