Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
I've had my Basecamp a couple of weeks. Still waiting for the dealership to mail me the title, so I can get tags for it. I did notice that the seal on the bathroom door sticks to the door when you open it, which in my opinion will make the door not waterproof. On the hinge side of the door facing, the seal was not installed properly, in my opinion, and the sticky part sticks to the door when you open it. I will ask about a recall on the water tank. That is discouraging! Also, the tube that holds the sewer hose was too small to hold the hose they sold me. The cover on the hose prevented the hose from going in. I took the covers and sanded four of the 'tabs' down with a disk sander and the hose now fits.

Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
Gail,

Thanks for adding to the discussion. I will ask them about the seal on the bathroom door and the sewer connector when I take mine in this week. I hope you get everything sorted out with your BC. They are really sweet units… I hope you have lots of happy adventures!!!

4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:44 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
2 easily resolvable issues

We got our BC with both tents. Had not set them up yet (we are in northern California where rain is now the order of the week).

Our sales guy sent me a link that showed the tent setup. The first thing the demonstrator demonstrated was the dealer prep mods that include snaps on the rear for the rear tent. The dealer overlooked the dealer prep install.

There is a rubber trim piece (black moulding) running along the wall/ceiling junction. It had a stickum bead that is about 1/4" wide and it optimally adheres to a flat surface like the top of the wall or the edge of the ceiling. If it is installed where the stickum bead is exactly at the ceiling/wall junction, it will be hit and miss and is likely to peel away and drop down. I had about 3 feet fall on the bathroom side.

The dealer is going to install the tent clips and throw in a free Walbernizer (sp?). They will also reset the moulding .

We have been through 8" of rain the past few days. No leaks.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
Gail,

Thanks for adding to the discussion. I will ask them about the seal on the bathroom door and the sewer connector when I take mine in this week. I hope you get everything sorted out with your BC. They are really sweet units… I hope you have lots of happy adventures!!!
It could also just have been the brand of sewer hose they sold me that caused the problem. Rhinoflex was the brand.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Window latches

I read some concerns about there being no screens on the window latch openings when you pop the side windows open. This would allow mosquitoes to get in the camper. I made Plexiglas inserts for my openings. I added a bit of mosquito-proof screen to them, but realized later that that wasn't necessary, since you have the big screen on the window. My inserts fit snuggly but I added drawer knobs to assist getting them in and out and when I snap the cover back on them, the knobs help hold them in place. The inserts have to be taken out when the windows are closed as the window opening 'handles' would hit them. Attaching (hopefully) rather poor cell phone photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Basecamp small window1.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	279724

Name:	Basecamp small window2.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	279725
Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
No screens on side window handle openings.

I read concerns about there not being any screens on the openings where the handles are to pop open the side windows. No screens would allow mosquitoes to get in the camper. I made Plexiglas inserts for my camper. I added a bit of screen to them, but realized later that it wasn't necessary since there are screens on the windows. The inserts fit snugly, but I added a couple of drawer knobs to assist getting them in and out. They have to be removed when the window is closed as the window opening handle would hit them. I will try to attach a couple of rather poor cell phone photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Basecamp small window1.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	279726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basecamp small window2.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	279727  

Old 02-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
I read concerns about there not being any screens on the openings where the handles are to pop open the side windows. No screens would allow mosquitoes to get in the camper. I made Plexiglas inserts for my camper. I added a bit of screen to them, but realized later that it wasn't necessary since there are screens on the windows. The inserts fit snugly, but I added a couple of drawer knobs to assist getting them in and out. They have to be removed when the window is closed as the window opening handle would hit them. I will try to attach a couple of rather poor cell phone photos.
Sorry this was posted twice. The forum kept timing out on me or something and I did not think it posted the first time.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Wow! That looks awesome Gail, nice craftsmanship! I'm not fully clear what the issue is. My memory is fuzzy from when we saw a Basecamp and put down our deposit. Isn't there a cloth flap that snaps closed over the window clasp opening? I'm guessing it's not sufficient to block bugs? Anyway, you better patent it before I copy it for our Basecamp when it gets here.
Has anyone tried the snap on screen for the rear door? Does that look like it would keep bugs out well enough?
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pekin , Illinois
Hi all.
I'm new here. The news about the QC on the water tank is disappointing. I have a deposit placed on a basecamp to be picked up early March. I will be sure to ask about the recall.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
Wow! That looks awesome Gail, nice craftsmanship! I'm not fully clear what the issue is. My memory is fuzzy from when we saw a Basecamp and put down our deposit. Isn't there a cloth flap that snaps closed over the window clasp opening? I'm guessing it's not sufficient to block bugs? Anyway, you better patent it before I copy it for our Basecamp when it gets here.
Has anyone tried the snap on screen for the rear door? Does that look like it would keep bugs out well enough?
The snap on screen for the rear door is really tight...so tight that we were not able to get the very bottom snapped on the first try. I think it will be better after some time to stretch a little.

The cloth covers on the window clasps are probably good enough for flies and most mosquitoes (unless they are very determined), but I wonder about creepy crawly things like spiders. And very determined mosquitoes.
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Does anyone know what holds the back hatch door securely open? On the unit we saw at our dealer, There was a sturdy, short canvas strap at the hatch hinge that stopped the door from swinging open too far to hit the outside of the unit, but I could not determine what would keep the door open in place so one could enjoy the hatch view on a breezy day without the door swinging. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Does anyone know what holds the back hatch door securely open? On the unit we saw at our dealer, There was a sturdy, short canvas strap at the hatch hinge that stopped the door from swinging open too far to hit the outside of the unit, but I could not determine what would keep the door open in place so one could enjoy the hatch view on a breezy day without the door swinging. Joe
Best we can tell there is nothing that keeps it open in the wind. We used a bungee cord looped around the inner door handle and the skid bar on the underside of the trailer. A light rope or strap would be better since the bungee will stretch.
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
I live in the South :-) ... lots of mosquitoes ... and I assumed, from some comments I saw, that the snap cover was not sufficient to keep mosquitoes out.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.B View Post
Hi all.
I'm new here. The news about the QC on the water tank is disappointing. I have a deposit placed on a basecamp to be picked up early March. I will be sure to ask about the recall.
Thanks for the heads-up.
I asked my dealership today and was told that my Basecamp was not part of the water tank recall.