Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 340
I've had my Basecamp a couple of weeks. Still waiting for the dealership to mail me the title, so I can get tags for it. I did notice that the seal on the bathroom door sticks to the door when you open it, which in my opinion will make the door not waterproof. On the hinge side of the door facing, the seal was not installed properly, in my opinion, and the sticky part sticks to the door when you open it. I will ask about a recall on the water tank. That is discouraging! Also, the tube that holds the sewer hose was too small to hold the hose they sold me. The cover on the hose prevented the hose from going in. I took the covers and sanded four of the 'tabs' down with a disk sander and the hose now fits.
__________________

Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 54
Images: 1
Gail,

Thanks for adding to the discussion. I will ask them about the seal on the bathroom door and the sewer connector when I take mine in this week. I hope you get everything sorted out with your BC. They are really sweet units… I hope you have lots of happy adventures!!!
__________________

4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:44 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
 
Colfax , California
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 188
2 easily resolvable issues

We got our BC with both tents. Had not set them up yet (we are in northern California where rain is now the order of the week).

Our sales guy sent me a link that showed the tent setup. The first thing the demonstrator demonstrated was the dealer prep mods that include snaps on the rear for the rear tent. The dealer overlooked the dealer prep install.

There is a rubber trim piece (black moulding) running along the wall/ceiling junction. It had a stickum bead that is about 1/4" wide and it optimally adheres to a flat surface like the top of the wall or the edge of the ceiling. If it is installed where the stickum bead is exactly at the ceiling/wall junction, it will be hit and miss and is likely to peel away and drop down. I had about 3 feet fall on the bathroom side.

The dealer is going to install the tent clips and throw in a free Walbernizer (sp?). They will also reset the moulding .

We have been through 8" of rain the past few days. No leaks.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
Gail,

Thanks for adding to the discussion. I will ask them about the seal on the bathroom door and the sewer connector when I take mine in this week. I hope you get everything sorted out with your BC. They are really sweet units… I hope you have lots of happy adventures!!!
It could also just have been the brand of sewer hose they sold me that caused the problem. Rhinoflex was the brand.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 340
Window latches

I read some concerns about there being no screens on the window latch openings when you pop the side windows open. This would allow mosquitoes to get in the camper. I made Plexiglas inserts for my openings. I added a bit of mosquito-proof screen to them, but realized later that that wasn't necessary, since you have the big screen on the window. My inserts fit snuggly but I added drawer knobs to assist getting them in and out and when I snap the cover back on them, the knobs help hold them in place. The inserts have to be taken out when the windows are closed as the window opening 'handles' would hit them. Attaching (hopefully) rather poor cell phone photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Basecamp small window1.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	279724

Click image for larger version

Name:	Basecamp small window2.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	279725
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 340
No screens on side window handle openings.

I read concerns about there not being any screens on the openings where the handles are to pop open the side windows. No screens would allow mosquitoes to get in the camper. I made Plexiglas inserts for my camper. I added a bit of screen to them, but realized later that it wasn't necessary since there are screens on the windows. The inserts fit snugly, but I added a couple of drawer knobs to assist getting them in and out. They have to be removed when the window is closed as the window opening handle would hit them. I will try to attach a couple of rather poor cell phone photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basecamp small window1.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	279726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basecamp small window2.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	279727  

Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
I read concerns about there not being any screens on the openings where the handles are to pop open the side windows. No screens would allow mosquitoes to get in the camper. I made Plexiglas inserts for my camper. I added a bit of screen to them, but realized later that it wasn't necessary since there are screens on the windows. The inserts fit snugly, but I added a couple of drawer knobs to assist getting them in and out. They have to be removed when the window is closed as the window opening handle would hit them. I will try to attach a couple of rather poor cell phone photos.
Sorry this was posted twice. The forum kept timing out on me or something and I did not think it posted the first time.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
 
Rg416's Avatar
 
2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 116
Wow! That looks awesome Gail, nice craftsmanship! I'm not fully clear what the issue is. My memory is fuzzy from when we saw a Basecamp and put down our deposit. Isn't there a cloth flap that snaps closed over the window clasp opening? I'm guessing it's not sufficient to block bugs? Anyway, you better patent it before I copy it for our Basecamp when it gets here.
Has anyone tried the snap on screen for the rear door? Does that look like it would keep bugs out well enough?
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Pekin , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Hi all.
I'm new here. The news about the QC on the water tank is disappointing. I have a deposit placed on a basecamp to be picked up early March. I will be sure to ask about the recall.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
 
Lmnhead's Avatar
 
2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
Wow! That looks awesome Gail, nice craftsmanship! I'm not fully clear what the issue is. My memory is fuzzy from when we saw a Basecamp and put down our deposit. Isn't there a cloth flap that snaps closed over the window clasp opening? I'm guessing it's not sufficient to block bugs? Anyway, you better patent it before I copy it for our Basecamp when it gets here.
Has anyone tried the snap on screen for the rear door? Does that look like it would keep bugs out well enough?
The snap on screen for the rear door is really tight...so tight that we were not able to get the very bottom snapped on the first try. I think it will be better after some time to stretch a little.

The cloth covers on the window clasps are probably good enough for flies and most mosquitoes (unless they are very determined), but I wonder about creepy crawly things like spiders. And very determined mosquitoes.
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
jayseejay's Avatar
 
2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 527
Does anyone know what holds the back hatch door securely open? On the unit we saw at our dealer, There was a sturdy, short canvas strap at the hatch hinge that stopped the door from swinging open too far to hit the outside of the unit, but I could not determine what would keep the door open in place so one could enjoy the hatch view on a breezy day without the door swinging. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
 
Lmnhead's Avatar
 
2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Does anyone know what holds the back hatch door securely open? On the unit we saw at our dealer, There was a sturdy, short canvas strap at the hatch hinge that stopped the door from swinging open too far to hit the outside of the unit, but I could not determine what would keep the door open in place so one could enjoy the hatch view on a breezy day without the door swinging. Joe
Best we can tell there is nothing that keeps it open in the wind. We used a bungee cord looped around the inner door handle and the skid bar on the underside of the trailer. A light rope or strap would be better since the bungee will stretch.
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
Wow! That looks awesome Gail, nice craftsmanship! I'm not fully clear what the issue is. My memory is fuzzy from when we saw a Basecamp and put down our deposit. Isn't there a cloth flap that snaps closed over the window clasp opening? I'm guessing it's not sufficient to block bugs? Anyway, you better patent it before I copy it for our Basecamp when it gets here.
Has anyone tried the snap on screen for the rear door? Does that look like it would keep bugs out well enough?
I live in the South :-) ... lots of mosquitoes ... and I assumed, from some comments I saw, that the snap cover was not sufficient to keep mosquitoes out.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.B View Post
Hi all.
I'm new here. The news about the QC on the water tank is disappointing. I have a deposit placed on a basecamp to be picked up early March. I will be sure to ask about the recall.
Thanks for the heads-up.
I asked my dealership today and was told that my Basecamp was not part of the water tank recall.
__________________

Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NorCal : 2017 Olema Spring Rally April 7-9, 2017 (formerly at Casini) HootMon-Frau Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 14 04-01-2017 12:46 PM
2017 Basecamp Issues 4WetPaws Our Community 1 02-21-2017 10:20 AM
Think I'll go pick up our 2017 RV of the Year Basecamp tomorrow Bborzell Airstream "In the News" 2 01-25-2017 05:35 AM
love our Basecamp, but looking for solutions to small issues basecamper Base Camp 1 08-23-2009 09:16 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.