Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #281
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
Did you try to register the name "lemon drop"? If not, I am totally going to do it. If you did, can I be "Lemon Drop, Too"
I've tried, but I keep getting an 'error message highlighted below', except there is no highlighted message ... I assume they just don't like the name ??
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #282
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Doors flying open are not a safety issue. The only potential safety item ive seen is the axles. The other problems are just super aggravating, unnecessary.
You obviously don't own one!!!!! I could go have a 'sit down' with my insurance agent tomorrow and ask him; "If the door of my camper flies open while I'm traveling down the road and injures someone, how liable am I?" I know the answer ... it IS a safety issue!!!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #283
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Was the deadbolt retracted when you found the door open?
The deadbolt was in the locked position when the door flew open, as was the handle lock. And it IS a safety issue. Another vehicle or a pedestrian or a cyclist could have been hit by the swinging door. It was definitely a distraction for me until I could pull off the road safely!
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:30 AM   #284
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
AirstreamInc -- have you stopped participating in this forum? After two posts in March, you seem to have dropped out.

Thank you for a reply clarifying your participation here.

Peter

[click on arrows in quotes below to see those post locations]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
pt.reyesfan please don't hesitate to reach out to our customer service and technical support team for help with this. They can be reached at 1 (877) 596-6111, option 2. -- CP
Quote:
LMNhead, we're really sorry to hear you and others are having an issue with removing the tabletops in your new Basecamp. There is supposed to be a rubber o-ring inside the cup on the bottom side of each table. The o-ring is supposed to keep the posts from jamming inside the cups. If you're able to remove the table, can you please check to see if those o-rings are there?

PS -- A reply about the Basecamp's "mixing valve" at the Truma heat/water heater unit would also be appreciated, as requested a while ago on that thread:

[click on arrow in quote to go to that thread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for your post on the other thread, and welcome to the forum!

Perhaps you could review this entire thread, and comment on why so many Basecamp users are having to figure out this [mixing?] valve, which is not in the owner's manual apparently.

Thanks,

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Julie View Post
We had the same exact problem with ours. Our valve was wide open when we received the unit. Not sure why they would ship them like this.

This valve is not in the manual from Airstream or Truma. It is some mixing valve as it connects the cold water supply directly to the hot water side. This doesn't make a lot of sense sense as the pressure on both sides should be equal and mixing would depend on the random pressure drops in the system. BUT, it looks like there might be a pressure regulator that reduces the inlet pressure to the Truma as its maximum rated pressure is around 40 psi, yet the typical pump and city water is regulated to around 50 with the internal regulator. IF this is the case the cold water would be at 50 and hot at 40 and having that valve open would push LOTS of cold water into the hot side.

Who knows, it's a shame Airstream can't hop on here and provide tech support. I have to say the lack of support on all these issues, the axle issue without a lot of comments from Airstream are making me second guess my choice. I thought they were a premium brand, but what a cruddy product launch. I returned mine to my dealer with rubbing tire issues and a laundry list of necessary fixes.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #285
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi OTRA. Thank you for flagging the conversation on the mixing value. Let me check with some of the folks on our technical team and get back to you on this! CP
Old 04-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #286
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
OTRA15, here's what I've found:

When Basecamps are made in Ohio, it's part of our manufacturing process to winterize each of them before they're shipped to our dealers. I think the mixing value you're referring to is actually the winterization value to help drain all of the water of the system to prevent freeze damage.

As part of the personal delivery inspection, the orientation of that system should be part of the overview. I'll make sure to pass along that feedback. Also, we're always updating the manual based on feedback. You can find the latest version of the 2017 Basecamp manual on our website or by searching "2017 Basecamp Manual."
Old 04-14-2017, 04:47 AM   #287
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
A door flying open at 50 MPH, which strikes and kills a pedestrian when it swings out in the wind, is not a safety issue?

I would say towing a trailer at 50mph less than 2 feet from a pedestrian would be an inherent safety issue. Since that would be what you would have to be doing in order for a pedestrian to be struck by your hypothetical flying open door.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #288
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
What if the door breaks off after flying open while in transit? C'mon, it's a safety issue. Move along, nothing to argue about here.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #289
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
What if the door breaks off after flying open while in transit? C'mon, it's a safety issue. Move along, nothing to argue about here.
disagree, just a pain in the neck, but not a safety issue.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #290
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Updated Owner's Manual ... who knew?

Airstream commented (finally) and stated: Also, we're always updating the manual based on feedback. You can find the latest version of the 2017 Basecamp manual on our website or by searching "2017 Basecamp Manual."

My owner's manual is dated December 2016, the updated manual on Airstream's website is dated March 2017. Are we required to buy a new manual? I haven't gone through all of it, but there are some differences/updates.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #291
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Airstream please comment about doors flying open

Airstream, could you please comment about concerns many Basecamp owners have regarding reports of the side door flying open while traveling down the road. Instances reported occurring when both locks were engaged. Many of us feel that this is a safety issue that needs to be addressed by Airstream.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #292
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Clearly!

A reminder for the argumentative amongst us -- The Argue Thread!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ead-60297.html

Old 04-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #293
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
OTRA15, here's what I've found:
. . .
Thanks for the reply, which would also be helpful on the specific thread linked earlier about the valve.

Peter
Old 04-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #294
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thornhill , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
I just wanted to thank everyone for posting information on these issues. We had ordered a Base Camp back in late February and recently made the difficult decision to cancel it. It was actually the water leaking issues that bothered us the most. We did receive a call from Airstream but even after that discussion did not feel confident that the issues has been addressed. The dealer was very accommodating and is returning our deposit.

Very disappointing that we had to do this but we just did not have the piece of mind to move forward in this first model year with all these quality issues given the price point. We may revisit next year or consider a different model.

@4WetPaws - At this point request a refund or a replacement. You should not have to go through this!
Scrambles, I feel your pain. I sold my Alto before my due diligence and axle recall. I was thinking of the Basecamp as ideal for my needs, primarily due to the heated and insulated holding tanks. I used my Alto in all 4 seasons. Fortunately I found out about the many problems with the Basecamp and Airstreams in general. Popping rivets, leaks and rotting sub-floors. My Alto is all aluminum and nothing to rot or rust, except for the coupler, which has to be steel for strength. I had my Alto for over 7 years. Minor leaks. Easy fix. I doubt anyone has had to gut their Alto. Lighter by 1000# than Basecamp and payload of 1000#. Worth looking into it. Check Safari Condo website.
Victor J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #295
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
You bet, Gail. Looking into this now.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #296
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Gail, thank you again for flagging the discussion in this thread.

We haven't received any reports of this happening with both locks engaged when Basecamp is underway. Safety is always an Airstream priority. If anyone is concerned about their entry door while in transit, please reach out to Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at 1 (877) 596-6111, option 2.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #297
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J View Post
Scrambles, I feel your pain. I sold my Alto before my due diligence and axle recall. I was thinking of the Basecamp as ideal for my needs, primarily due to the heated and insulated holding tanks. I used my Alto in all 4 seasons. Fortunately I found out about the many problems with the Basecamp and Airstreams in general. Popping rivets, leaks and rotting sub-floors. My Alto is all aluminum and nothing to rot or rust, except for the coupler, which has to be steel for strength. I had my Alto for over 7 years. Minor leaks. Easy fix. I doubt anyone has had to gut their Alto. Lighter by 1000# than Basecamp and payload of 1000#. Worth looking into it. Check Safari Condo website.
Thanks Victor J for the insight to Alto. I was actually looking at those just last night, they have some well thought out features and nice interior finishes.
Scrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #298
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Gail, thank you again for flagging the discussion in this thread.

We haven't received any reports of this happening with both locks engaged when Basecamp is underway. Safety is always an Airstream priority. If anyone is concerned about their entry door while in transit, please reach out to Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at 1 (877) 596-6111, option 2.
Thank you Airstream!! Folks on the forum, if you have commented about your door flying open, could you contact Airstream so they can look into this. Thanks very much!! Gail
Old 04-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #299
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Posting here and Axle thread . Got my recall letter today, ( very exciting)
jz
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #300
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Got a call from Airstream this morning

I got a call from Airstream this morning, I left voice mail yesterday after I received my axle recall letter. I discussed the issues I've had with my camper. He said the axle should be shipped to my dealer within about 2 weeks (also said he'd include the spare tire tool, which I still haven't gotten). He said that they are getting ready to issue a service bulletin on the 'leaky' vents behind the LP bottles. They have not received any reports on concerns about doors flying open with both locks engaged. Pleasant conversation and he was very apologetic for all the problems.