Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2017, 04:23 AM   #241
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We only have had our initial stock Basecamp since last fall. It did have a rain leak but it was an easy fix and has been fine since.

We had two Basecamps arrive this week, they came on a transport from Ohio through huge winds and rain and they were both completely dry. Workmanship was much better on both of them. I wonder if the production stoppage over the axle maybe gave them some time for additional training.

In the plant they would have their best people on the more complex parts of the build so something that seems simple and is repairable like bending a gas like is done by the less capable probably newer person. Those darn pesky humans they just seem to be error prone, too bad they can't use robots or aliens. However considering how completely new this product is and all the new production techniques I am pretty impressed at how well done they are.

I don't personally care for the 2 inch height increase and if it was mine I would use the stock axle with a 3/4" spacer but most people are not as picky as I am about such things. I'll hook one on the Kia this week and see if it made any difference in how it tows.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:14 AM   #242
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post

We had two Basecamps arrive this week, they came on a transport from Ohio through huge winds and rain and they were both completely dry.

I don't personally care for the 2 inch height increase and if it was mine I would use the stock axle with a 3/4" spacer but most people are not as picky as I am about such things. I'll hook one on the Kia this week and see if it made any difference in how it tows.

Andy
Andy, what tires, and what size are they, did the new Basecamps come with?
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 AM   #243
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
We stayed overnight at the factory on March 26 and there was a field full of new basecamps. I walked around the service garage and saw 10 new basecamps waiting to go in for service and 1 inside. Must be finding problems right on the line.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:53 AM   #244
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Those are units that were on the line already when the axle issue arose. They are in que to have their axles replaced.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:04 AM   #245
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Tires are Goodyear Assurance 235/55R x 18 
Name:   IMG_5467.JPG
Views: 589
Size:  97.5 KB
sorry the photo isn't better

Old 04-09-2017, 06:31 AM   #246
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there is a thread on the axle recall:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ll-164157.html

And this information would helpful there as well IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #247
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
We only have had our initial stock Basecamp since last fall. It did have a rain leak but it was an easy fix and has been fine since.

We had two Basecamps arrive this week, they came on a transport from Ohio through huge winds and rain and they were both completely dry. Workmanship was much better on both of them. I wonder if the production stoppage over the axle maybe gave them some time for additional training.

In the plant they would have their best people on the more complex parts of the build so something that seems simple and is repairable like bending a gas like is done by the less capable probably newer person. Those darn pesky humans they just seem to be error prone, too bad they can't use robots or aliens. However considering how completely new this product is and all the new production techniques I am pretty impressed at how well done they are.

Andy
Andy, Could you provide more specifics. Where exactly was the leak, what was causing it and what you did to fix it?

That would be helpful. Thanks!
Scrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #248
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Tires are Goodyear Assurance 235/55R x 18 Attachment 283047 sorry the photo isn't better
Andy,

The vents behind the LP tanks look a little different… do you know if they came out with a different design (that's what has been causing mine to leak)?

Katherine
4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #249
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
I wish I'd read this forum before I bought my basecamp. It all started on day 2 of ownership (Feb3): side door flew open while driving, 1st leak from front roof. A little while later, second big leak in front from vents, cap fell off of sewer hose storage resulting in lost hoses on 101 South; faucet blew off while is use, saturating me; third big leak in the front vents yesterday (gallons of water on the floor while being stored). Can't find info concerning recalls, website won't recognize my VIN. I bought AS expecting quality. Wow. Three major leaks, possible danger from axle. Its going back to the dealer for the 3rd leak tomorrow. And dont get me started about the propane cover.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #250
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
2017 Basecamp
Lacey , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I wish I'd read this forum before I bought my basecamp. It all started on day 2 of ownership (Feb3): side door flew open while driving, 1st leak from front roof. A little while later, second big leak in front from vents, cap fell off of sewer hose storage resulting in lost hoses on 101 South; faucet blew off while is use, saturating me; third big leak in the front vents yesterday (gallons of water on the floor while being stored). Can't find info concerning recalls, website won't recognize my VIN. I bought AS expecting quality. Wow. Three major leaks, possible danger from axle. Its going back to the dealer for the 3rd leak tomorrow. And dont get me started about the propane cover.
Sparkle,

Welcome to the beta testing life… sorry you are also having issues with your BC. I think the side door is definitely a safety issue. They "repaired" mine as the latch wasn't matching up with the lock… shoddy work at the factory, but at least it seems to stay secured now. Best of luck with the repairs… let us know how is goes.

Cheers!
Katherine
4WetPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #251
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
Sparkle,

Welcome to the beta testing life… sorry you are also having issues with your BC. I think the side door is definitely a safety issue. They "repaired" mine as the latch wasn't matching up with the lock… shoddy work at the factory, but at least it seems to stay secured now. Best of luck with the repairs… let us know how is goes.

Cheers!
Katherine
So, is that now two campers (or was there a third one) that have had the door fly open going down the road?
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #252
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Was the deadbolt locked when the door opened?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #253
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
When my door flew open while I was on the highway, both locks were locked.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #254
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Was the deadbolt locked when the door opened?
I know one person commented that, during their orientation, they were told not to lock the dead bolt. I was told to lock the dead bolt. This is all SO ridiculous.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #255
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
When my door flew open while I was on the highway, both locks were locked.
Good grief! I'm glad that I noticed early on in the forum that no profanity was allowed .... TRUST ME, my dog's ear are burning at my house :-)
Old 04-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #256
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Seattle , Washington
2 and a half month report

After taking delivery near the end of January, we've been out several times with Our Basecamp in mostly lousy weather. Random bullet list of our experience so far:

Minor leak near the front, likely above left center front window, hasn't recurred since dealer took a look (keeping close eye for leaks described here).

Tires are Goodyear Assurance 235/55R X18 like Andrew T., have yet to check if it is part of that recall, there isn't any rubbing against wheel well on our unit.

Tank readings seem reasonably accurate, hasn't been an issue.

Hot water works (did have to turn a valve as instructed by dealer), 2-1/5 gallons of it takes a bit of practice to shower with!

Tables (at low setting) come apart with the application of a gentle rocking force, they suddenly release after a bit of that.

Took about 10 minutes to install visor for first time, needed to remove plastic trim from track, came right out, be careful of a couple sharp edges. Rolled it up for future use.

Outside door functions securely, a little leaking while driving in very heavy rain and traffic. Will have dealer take a look next time it's in.

Completely happy with the form factor and how usable it is, seems to be a very good match to our style, wants and needs. We are extremely happy with our Basecamp, and hope that AS sorts out these issues!

Heading out again Easter weekend.
nwcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #257
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Flagstaff , Arizona
Our door flew open during transit as well. We got our BC at the end of February and it has been at the dealer for the last three weeks getting repairs and waiting for the axle fix.
basecamp516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #258
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcamper View Post

Tires are Goodyear Assurance 235/55R X18 like Andrew T., have yet to check if it is part of that recall, there isn't any rubbing against wheel well on our unit.
WAIT, you took delivery of your BC in January and you have tires that they have only decided to use within the last two weeks. The original tires were 255/55 R18, why would you not have those?
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #259
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
1987 23' Sovereign
1962 22' Safari
Dallas , Texas
I think we're going to contact Airstream directly - between the unrepaired leak and the axle recall - I'm losing patience, especially since our dealer is not giving us a timeline of when repairs will be complete. They blame it on Airstream and they may be right. But this is ridiculous. It's spent way more time at the dealer than with us and we overwhelmingly fit requirements for invoking the TX Lemon Law. If the leak/axle problems are a design flaw which cannot be adequately repaired, then it's time for a full refund or a new model.
If anyone has had any luck calling Airstream, I'd appreciate a response. So bummed.
dpmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry this is such a lousy situation for you, but welcome to the forum! You might get better info. on the axle recall on the thread specifically about that:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ll-164157.html

Good luck!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmarshall View Post
I think we're going to contact Airstream directly - between the unrepaired leak and the axle recall - I'm losing patience, especially since our dealer is not giving us a timeline of when repairs will be complete. They blame it on Airstream and they may be right. But this is ridiculous. It's spent way more time at the dealer than with us and we overwhelmingly fit requirements for invoking the TX Lemon Law. If the leak/axle problems are a design flaw which cannot be adequately repaired, then it's time for a full refund or a new model.
If anyone has had any luck calling Airstream, I'd appreciate a response. So bummed.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote