Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2017, 01:05 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WetPaws View Post
. . .
Check out the "basecamp issues" thread . . .
. . .
Here FYI: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...es-162632.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
2017 Basecamp Axle Recall

Also have had a real tough time getting table tops off after sleep configuration. Super snug fit and takes quite a bit of wobbling back n forth to loosen up and get them off. That's sure to cause a problem with the floor mounts in future.

Gotta say I have sustained a number of forearm and hand injuries already taking that propane cover off. What kind of design is that?? It's sure to break sooner or later or I'm gonna wind up needing sutures from an injury from it.

Another thing I noticed when I pulled into a rest stop was what appeared to be a significant leak around all the outside water line valves underneath. I noticed it after I had topped off and left campsite and stopped a short time later at a rest stop and saw a puddle underneath my BC. Could this be the holes in the top of the water tank issue? By night time the leaking completely stopped - maybe because we drained the fresh water tank down enough below the holes?
FricknFrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:02 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum FnF. You are in good company unfortunately. Check the other more general Issues thread linked in Post #61.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Got a call from Airstream this morning

Posting this under 'issues' and 'axle recall'.

Got a call from Airstream this morning

I got a call from Airstream this morning, I left voice mail yesterday after I received my axle recall letter. I discussed the issues I've had with my camper. He said the axle should be shipped to my dealer within about 2 weeks (also said he'd include the spare tire tool, which I still haven't gotten). He said that they are getting ready to issue a service bulletin on the 'leaky' vents behind the LP bottles. They have not received any reports on concerns about doors flying open with both locks engaged. Pleasant conversation and he was very apologetic for all the problems.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
greeneville , Tennessee
basecamp recall

After I used my basecamp, I was cleaning it and noticed how little clearance there was between the tire and the wheel well (toward the front of the camper). It was about 1/2" on the left side and about an inch on the right side. The difference between the measurements made me wonder about the alignment going down the road, but I was more concerned about the lack of clearance. That's why this recall does not surprise me.
forddealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
On our 2015 23D International Serenity, the street side wheel well had about ½" of skin to the leading edge of the wheel well opening from the plastic wheel covering. The curb side had nearly 2" of skin in the same area. We used tin snips to trim the curb side to the same dimension as street side and the 15" ties and wheels upgrade from the stock 14" tires and wheels worked fine.

The BC folks are getting the opportunity to discover the QC issues that have plagued most other models in Airstream's production for many years.

Even as so obvious as leaving the word "AIRSTREAM" brand name off the back of our 2015 23D International Serenity. Somehow that and many other issues were also not noticed during the PDI (pre delivery inspection) by the selling dealership.

Buying the highest list price trailer does not ensure great QC at Airstream....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
So much for my appointment on the 25th.

Just got a call from the dealer to postpone my appointment. Despite sending a letter that suggests that the owners should get on the stick and set up appointments with dealers, axles and wheels are being shipped by common carrier which means about two weeks.

Airstream appears to be devoid of planning and strategic thinking.

But, they are sorry for "any inconvenience".
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2019 22' Sport
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FricknFrack View Post
Just found out about all these issues when I called my dealer Colonial to ask an unrelated question. Without ever seeing this forum before today I can confirm I have had all the same issues: leak from closed ceiling fan, flood from under the fridge thru the vents behind propane tanks, missing spare crank, also a leak through a side wall seam towards back on driver side that dripped onto seat cushion soaking it...and now I know about the axle/tire issue...AFTER our 2000 mile one-way trip to our new home in Utah [emoji849]. Sounds like my new favorite toy is gonna be sitting at the AS dealer in Salt Lake City for a while [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]
News from Georgia- axles will arrive Friday and I will get mine changed out next week; the vent in front has been reinstalled with lots of caulk and the drain under the frig has been opened (?) so they believe my leak is fixed after hosing it down many times; I haven't even had it long enough to fill the water tank to make sure that doesn't leak but will be done my the dealer. Hats off to Southland in Ga. Looking like camping may be right around the corner!!
KayakGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
So much for my appointment on the 25th.

Just got a call from the dealer to postpone my appointment. Despite sending a letter that suggests that the owners should get on the stick and set up appointments with dealers, axles and wheels are being shipped by common carrier which means about two weeks.

Airstream appears to be devoid of planning and strategic thinking.

But, they are sorry for "any inconvenience".
Airstream told me to go ahead and make an appointment with my dealer ... HA ... I'm not doing that until my axle arrives!! One is supposed to be shipped to my dealer, with my name on it, along with the spare tire tool that I've never received.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #70
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Basecamp community,

We've just published a resource page to provide more information on the voluntary Basecamp safety recall.

Please be sure to check out the FAQ section. If there are questions not covered there, please reach out to our customer service team or post here so we can update the resource page.

Thank you for being Basecamp owners and for your patience. The safety of all of our products is paramount.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakGa View Post
News from Georgia- axles will arrive Friday and I will get mine changed out next week; the vent in front has been reinstalled with lots of caulk and the drain under the frig has been opened (?) so they believe my leak is fixed after hosing it down many times; I haven't even had it long enough to fill the water tank to make sure that doesn't leak but will be done my the dealer. Hats off to Southland in Ga. Looking like camping may be right around the corner!!
That's great news! I sent off an email to Southland to see if they can give me a date our BC will be ready. Thanks for the heads up! ~Nancy
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #72
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
greeneville , Tennessee
update

My dealer called me yesterday and told me my parts for the recall will be in in about 2 weeks. I also addressed some of the leaking issues I have read about in previous posts. He said they will check all outstanding bulletins and look at any other issues I have. I am a new car dealer and this is not my first camper. I bought it just for 1-2 night camping with my grandson. The engineering and layout are amazing. I guess I just expected more from Airstream in terms of quality. If the cars I sell had as many issues as this camper, the NHTSA police would shut Ford down!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
greeneville , Tennessee
PS Is the quality any better on larger Airstreams????
Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Evidently no.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Airstream's Customer Service priorities might be a bit out of whack

One theme that has drifted in and out of the various posts about problems with the roll out of the Basecamp is the notion that Airstream has been haphazard in both the introduction of the trailer as well as their response to the problems that have been experienced by buyers who relied on the Airstream name when making a decision to purchase a Basecamp.

I have not had the leaks that have been reported despite our trailer sitting uncovered through 10s of inches of rain in northern California this year, including driving head on into some of the more dramatic downpours at 2-3" per hour.

The door stays shut on the road and I have yet to find any crimps in gas tubing.

We had an early bump in the road as my dealer failed to do the dealer prep for the tent mounting hardware, but they quickly rectified that and threw in a Walbernizer (sp?) skin treatment for my 200 mile round trip to get the parts installed.

But, we do have a tire that sits close enough the the right fender flare to have caused slight rubbing on the flare and we are waiting for new wheels and an axle.

When I received the recall letter, I called my dealer to set up the axle/wheel swap. The appointment was for next Tuesday, the 25th. That appointment was canceled by the dealer when their call to Airstream revealed that that my axle/wheel set would not be delivered to them for 2-3 more weeks. I began to get the impression that this recall effort is being implemented by a committee that does not communicate very well.

In the meantime, I had left a message with Airstream Customer service upon receiving the recall letter and yesterday, they returned my call.

Imagine my disbelief to hear that the first sets of axles/wheels are arriving to dealers this week and that they are designated for dealer stock, not units like mine that have already been purchased. Yes, that is what I was told.

The logic that was offered was that Airstream was trying to keep track of where axles/wheels are needed and, since Basecamp owners have options to go to any dealer or even non dealers in order to get the swap, that in order to control and track what is needed and where, they decided to go for what they know first and supply the dealers with parts for their existing unsold Basecamps.

I asked, "Are you listening to what you are saying? You are making a case for refitting dealer stock now and ignoring the needs of existing buyers who will now have to wait 2-3 weeks while you supply parts for unsold units. I can't imagine a more tone deaf approach to supporting existing customers, some of whom have had to park their Basecamps because of the axle recall".

The Airstream Customer Service person became quiet for a moment (as the logic of what she was hearing began to sink in) and then said she would look into the possibility of placing existing customer's needs over the decision to do dealer stock first. I have not heard back from her.

My dealer was stunned to hear of the exchange I had with Airstream and they assured me that any axles/wheels that they receive will be reserved for existing customers.

I am beginning to believe that the glitches that have accompanied the introduction of the Basecamp are not simply the sort of growing pains that I was willing to take in stride, but rather come from a tone deaf approach to the reasonable and wholly justified needs of Airstream's purchasers.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
This is so Sad
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
One theme that has drifted in and out of the various posts about problems with the roll out of the Basecamp is the notion that Airstream has been haphazard in both the introduction of the trailer as well as their response to the problems that have been experienced by buyers who relied on the Airstream name when making a decision to purchase a Basecamp.

I have not had the leaks that have been reported despite our trailer sitting uncovered through 10s of inches of rain in northern California this year, including driving head on into some of the more dramatic downpours at 2-3" per hour.

The door stays shut on the road and I have yet to find any crimps in gas tubing.

We had an early bump in the road as my dealer failed to do the dealer prep for the tent mounting hardware, but they quickly rectified that and threw in a Walbernizer (sp?) skin treatment for my 200 mile round trip to get the parts installed.

But, we do have a tire that sits close enough the the right fender flare to have caused slight rubbing on the flare and we are waiting for new wheels and an axle.

When I received the recall letter, I called my dealer to set up the axle/wheel swap. The appointment was for next Tuesday, the 25th. That appointment was canceled by the dealer when their call to Airstream revealed that that my axle/wheel set would not be delivered to them for 2-3 more weeks. I began to get the impression that this recall effort is being implemented by a committee that does not communicate very well.

In the meantime, I had left a message with Airstream Customer service upon receiving the recall letter and yesterday, they returned my call.

Imagine my disbelief to hear that the first sets of axles/wheels are arriving to dealers this week and that they are designated for dealer stock, not units like mine that have already been purchased. Yes, that is what I was told.

The logic that was offered was that Airstream was trying to keep track of where axles/wheels are needed and, since Basecamp owners have options to go to any dealer or even non dealers in order to get the swap, that in order to control and track what is needed and where, they decided to go for what they know first and supply the dealers with parts for their existing unsold Basecamps.

I asked, "Are you listening to what you are saying? You are making a case for refitting dealer stock now and ignoring the needs of existing buyers who will now have to wait 2-3 weeks while you supply parts for unsold units. I can't imagine a more tone deaf approach to supporting existing customers, some of whom have had to park their Basecamps because of the axle recall".

The Airstream Customer Service person became quiet for a moment (as the logic of what she was hearing began to sink in) and then said she would look into the possibility of placing existing customer's needs over the decision to do dealer stock first. I have not heard back from her.

My dealer was stunned to hear of the exchange I had with Airstream and they assured me that any axles/wheels that they receive will be reserved for existing customers.

I am beginning to believe that the glitches that have accompanied the introduction of the Basecamp are not simply the sort of growing pains that I was willing to take in stride, but rather come from a tone deaf approach to the reasonable and wholly justified needs of Airstream's purchasers.
Good grief ... sad, but I'm not surprised that fixing and selling more seems to be important to AS, since it wasn't terribly important to them to let us know that we had faulty units. The recall letter did instruct to call them to set up where to get the axle replaced, I assume they don't always expect one to go back to the dealer from whom they bought the camper. At least my dealer is just a 40 mile drive. I feel doubly sorry for those whose dealer is further off.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Anyone have pictures of the new ride height versus the old ride height? And what's the new hitch ball centerline supposed to be now?
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #79
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:

Bborzell,

Thank you for being a Basecamp owner and for being an active member of the Airstream community. We were saddened to learn about your experience. Providing excellent customer service is a priority at Airstream.

Quickly addressing this voluntary recall and ensuring the safety of our products is also a priority. Airstream is working closely with our independent dealers to expedite these repairs to help minimize any inconvenience.

Once a field fix was identified, Airstream immediately purchased parts to address this recall for all affected Basecamps. Since we know the location of dealer-owned Basecamps, Airstream shipped replacement parts to address the recall for those units.

To give owners the most flexibility, they can choose their preferred and most convenient Airstream dealer to address this issue. As soon Airstream receives a recall repair request, our suppliers are immediately drop shipping necessary parts to the customer-specified location. Given the opportunity, we would always prioritize the repair of a customer-owned Basecamp.

We can always do better and have used your feedback to update the Basecamp recall FAQ page. We have also addressed your experience and concerns with our customer service and technical support team.

On behalf of 785 hard working families at Airstream, thank you for your business. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
Thanks Airstream for the new low profile tires on my Basecamp with the axle recall...now I can drive in style down the Vegas Strip with the all new Basecamp Low Rider Edition [emoji23]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	284149
FricknFrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
issue