Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Found out my Basecamp is part of the recall too. I called the number and they confirmed that anyone who already has possession of their Basecamp is part of recall. I also noticed that my fresh water tank is leaking. I have a problem with the strike plate on rear door latch at top. Metal is very thin (also bent) and was rusted when delivered although I didn't notice until later. Noticed today that there was water in the side door threshold. It rained last night but door was closed and locked, not sure how the water got in. I hope Airstream stands behind their product [emoji53]
ToddA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2019 22' Sport
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA View Post
Found out my Basecamp is part of the recall too. I called the number and they confirmed that anyone who already has possession of their Basecamp is part of recall. I also noticed that my fresh water tank is leaking. I have a problem with the strike plate on rear door latch at top. Metal is very thin (also bent) and was rusted when delivered although I didn't notice until later. Noticed today that there was water in the side door threshold. It rained last night but door was closed and locked, not sure how the water got in. I hope Airstream stands behind their product [emoji53]
I've had mine since 2/11/17 and have never had it out except back to the dealer to be fixed; no lemon law in Ga (trailer) so am considering returning it; this is the one I still want but am beginning to lose faith in Airstream; what other issues will be caused by new axle and smaller tire?
KayakGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Our service dept talked to Airstream today and they stated they have not come public with the recall.. ( we are all way ahead) .. and they do not have a fix. According to our guy they plan to come out mid to late May with a voluntary recall ironed out so that would put the service guys at late June/July to have the parts to fix at the earliest. He stated that he has never seen this before and I am Just passing along the info. We have noticed wear on driver side and haven't loaded hardly any weight approx 2k miles on the road. The tire is visibly closer to the front wheel well on that side. (I posted this on issues thread sorry to be redundant) I am coming to the reality that I am spending a lot of cash every month on something that is no longer safe to use and it is very upsetting. Not sure what choices we have though. We are getting what we can fixed at the moment and will see how this plays out. I will be tuning in on any info y'all come up with going forward!
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Airstream will not publicly announce the recall until May 9th, NHTSA Recall No. : 17V-155
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the link. At the bottom of the NHTSA document, there are more details about the timing of things, and a note about the torsion axle being redesigned. Presumably [IMO] the May 9 publication date is timed to occur after the details of the new axle are known.

How likely is it that a new axle can be designed, field tested, and approved in the next 6 weeks?

PS -- At the risk of beating a dead horse, it is shameful that this tire rubbing problem was not caught during the testing of the new Basecamp. What is going on with Airstream and Thor the parent corp?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Note that the NHTSA report linked by RandyNH in Post #24 says only that the axle will be replaced, and says nothing about the wheels and tires being replaced also.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Fort Walton Beach , Florida
I just heard from my dealer that they will replace the tires to solve the problem. They told me to bring it in late April
ToddA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Talked to airstream again and ours will be staying put at the dealership until the axle fix is completed. Airstream decided that not driving it anymore would be best. I will let y'all know if I find out any more details. Thanks
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2019 22' Sport
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA View Post
I just heard from my dealer that they will replace the tires to solve the problem. They told me to bring it in late April
According to my dealer, Southland (Ga), the new axles have been approved and will be shipped soon; I will get a new axle, 3 tires; it will raise height of trailer 2 " and tire is smaller; a 4 hr fix when axles arrive; Dealer has concerns about the large vents behind gas tank- as potential water problem- looking at the roof, a lot of rain can pour down that front wall in the middle where the vent is; so will see what happens. RV of the Year...
Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakGa View Post
According to my dealer, Southland (Ga), the new axles have been approved and will be shipped soon; I will get a new axle, 3 tires; it will raise height of trailer 2 " and tire is smaller; a 4 hr fix when axles arrive; Dealer has concerns about the large vents behind gas tank- as potential water problem- looking at the roof, a lot of rain can pour down that front wall in the middle where the vent is; so will see what happens. RV of the Year...
That is my dealer too! They know about those leaks behind the tanks and that front wall problem because I have had my Basecamp there TWICE since 2/4 to get those issues fixed. They still have my Basecamp awaiting the axle fix...so thanks for the update on that. I hope I can have it back soon.
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:54 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakGa View Post
According to my dealer, Southland (Ga), the new axles have been approved and will be shipped soon; I will get a new axle, 3 tires; it will raise height of trailer 2 " and tire is smaller; a 4 hr fix when axles arrive;
. . .
Great news for everyone to know that the axles have been approved, and that a total solution is in place. Adding 2" of height should help keep those rear corner skid plates higher off the ground, which was a concern when the first videos came out last year.

Does anyone have the specs for the new tires? Hope the replacement tire is of a similar or better quality.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Does anyone know if Airstream is offering any compensation for this major inconvenience? Our BC is pretty loaded with options, but a second battery for the solar system or SOMETHING would give me a warmer feeling about being their guinea pig.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2019 22' Sport
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmnhead View Post
That is my dealer too! They know about those leaks behind the tanks and that front wall problem because I have had my Basecamp there TWICE since 2/4 to get those issues fixed. They still have my Basecamp awaiting the axle fix...so thanks for the update on that. I hope I can have it back soon.
I work around the corner so stop in every week to see what is happening; 2 BC's sitting there- your's and mine; by the time we receive anything from Airstream, this may be resolved; someone mentioned compensation- would be nice- insurance for something sitting at the dealer a month...
Old 04-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2019 22' Sport
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmnhead View Post
I work around the corner so stop in every week to see what is happening; 2 BC's sitting there- your's and mine; by the time we receive anything from Airstream, this may be resolved; someone mentioned compensation- would be nice- insurance for something sitting at the dealer a month...
Old 04-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
I just spoke to our dealership - they say the axles are still about a month out. I also asked about possible compensation from Airstream, since our Basecamp has spent more time at the dealership than with us (while I'm paying to hold a storage spot, interest on a loan, and insurance). He said I would have to contact Airstream about that. Any ideas from the group?
Old 04-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Bennington , Vermont
Hello, been lurking for a while, first post.
My wife and I just purchased a Basecamp and are also on the axle recall list.
We knew going into it that this was an issue but after a quick call to Airstream it seemed that it would only be a couple weeks.
We had been planning to take it to our first horse show of the season and finally ditch the motel/hotel thing for good. Now it seems it may take longer? hard to know but I am also a little irked about paying for a trailer and insurance that I cant use. I liked the suggestion above where someone had said how about a second agm battery. Seems to me that it's fair, certainly less than we will spend on hotel and eating out for the week, and adds to the overall value of the trailer. Perhaps we could get a petition going?
Old 04-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Bennington , Vermont
I emailed airstream customer service a couple days ago to let them know our concerns re. The post above and asked about throwing us a second agm battery. Have not heard a peep.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Warren , Pennsylvania
2017 Basecamp Axle Recall

Picked up my basecamp today after round 4 of fixes and sales manager printed this out for me. Confirms what many have been talking about. Diameter of new tires will be 28.2" rather than the 29" ones currently on the models.[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1491691197.889118.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	283021  
Bogy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #39
Rivet Master

If I received an email with those spelling and grammar errors, I would think it was a phishing email from a foreign country. Seems their spell check is done at the factory.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

According to that letter, they will be using Goodyear Assurance (any model) and they will not affect the GVWR.

Unless they have convinced Goodyear to manufacture a brand new tire for the Basecamps, they do not manufacture an XL tire in this size, therefore they are all SL tires with a maximum rating of 1764 lbs, so even at that two would be 3528 lbs except they are SL and need to be derated for trailer use so that comes out to 3207 lbs, which DEFINITELY changes your GVWR.

They needed to change the aspect ratio of the tire, not the width (which then affects the aspect ratio), tire strength is a matter of structural strength (E rated vs XL vs SL) and air volume. Making the entire tire smaller reduces the volume too much and probably shortens the sidewall too much to construct it as an XL

If they actually go with the tires stated in that letter, be sure you know the numbers. The ABSOLUTE minimum number that can be stamped on the sidewall of a non ST tire and not affect your carrying capacity is 1925 lbs

Let's hope either I am incorrect or that letter is, or this issue isn't resolved yet.

Tags
issue