Old 03-21-2017, 03:07 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Torsion axles are usally mounted to the trailer frame with 2 bolts per side. As the suspension cycles the tire moves for and aft. The tire is at its most aft point when the axle arm is at 0 degrees. So yes axle placement by Airstream could be a possible issue. But there are more variables as well. Without personally inspecting one that is rubbing, there no real way to tell.

SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Moving axles for or aft can drastically change weight distribution through center of gravity. Tongue wt is affected. Be careful, good be good or bad.

xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Relocation or modification of the fenders would seem to make the most sense.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Garland , Texas
Just had a thought.. possible tire issue due to axle problem and no tool to lower the spare...... not a good combo
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
Just had a thought.. possible tire issue due to axle problem and no tool to lower the spare...... not a good combo
My thoughts too ... :-(
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Thanks for the tip I also bought a new basecamp and called the number and mine is on the list too. The dealership didn't even know there was a recall.
ToddA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Found out my Basecamp is part of the recall too. I called the number and they confirmed that anyone who already has possession of their Basecamp is part of recall. I also noticed that my fresh water tank is leaking. I have a problem with the strike plate on rear door latch at top. Metal is very thin (also bent) and was rusted when delivered although I didn't notice until later. Noticed today that there was water in the side door threshold. It rained last night but door was closed and locked, not sure how the water got in. I hope Airstream stands behind their product
Old 03-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2019 22' Sport
Roswell , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA View Post
Found out my Basecamp is part of the recall too. I called the number and they confirmed that anyone who already has possession of their Basecamp is part of recall. I also noticed that my fresh water tank is leaking. I have a problem with the strike plate on rear door latch at top. Metal is very thin (also bent) and was rusted when delivered although I didn't notice until later. Noticed today that there was water in the side door threshold. It rained last night but door was closed and locked, not sure how the water got in. I hope Airstream stands behind their product
I've had mine since 2/11/17 and have never had it out except back to the dealer to be fixed; no lemon law in Ga (trailer) so am considering returning it; this is the one I still want but am beginning to lose faith in Airstream; what other issues will be caused by new axle and smaller tire?
KayakGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Garland , Texas
Our service dept talked to Airstream today and they stated they have not come public with the recall.. ( we are all way ahead) .. and they do not have a fix. According to our guy they plan to come out mid to late May with a voluntary recall ironed out so that would put the service guys at late June/July to have the parts to fix at the earliest. He stated that he has never seen this before and I am Just passing along the info. We have noticed wear on driver side and haven't loaded hardly any weight approx 2k miles on the road. The tire is visibly closer to the front wheel well on that side. (I posted this on issues thread sorry to be redundant) I am coming to the reality that I am spending a lot of cash every month on something that is no longer safe to use and it is very upsetting. Not sure what choices we have though. We are getting what we can fixed at the moment and will see how this plays out. I will be tuning in on any info y'all come up with going forward!
Old 03-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Airstream will not publicly announce the recall until May 9th, NHTSA Recall No. : 17V-155
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the link. At the bottom of the NHTSA document, there are more details about the timing of things, and a note about the torsion axle being redesigned. Presumably [IMO] the May 9 publication date is timed to occur after the details of the new axle are known.

How likely is it that a new axle can be designed, field tested, and approved in the next 6 weeks?

PS -- At the risk of beating a dead horse, it is shameful that this tire rubbing problem was not caught during the testing of the new Basecamp. What is going on with Airstream and Thor the parent corp?
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Note that the NHTSA report linked by RandyNH in Post #24 says only that the axle will be replaced, and says nothing about the wheels and tires being replaced also.
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

I just heard from my dealer that they will replace the tires to solve the problem. They told me to bring it in late April
Old 03-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Garland , Texas
Talked to airstream again and ours will be staying put at the dealership until the axle fix is completed. Airstream decided that not driving it anymore would be best. I will let y'all know if I find out any more details. Thanks

Tags
issue