Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
2007 or 2008 Basecamp?

I know there were some issues with 2007 basecamps that were supposedly addressed in the 2008 models. Some potential leaks and door issues? Anything else?

Considering that used 2007 models can be found in the $17k-$19k range while new 2008 models can be found for $22k and up, is it worth spending the extra $$ for the 2008? Will the 2008 models always have a better overall resale value down the road?

Thanks
pgg61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi '61 and welcome to the forums...

my understanding is the b/c has been deeceed...

the resale price on these units will continue to PLUMMET regardless of production year....

until settling at some very baseline price, as in utility trailer values...

and given how little can be carried inside, even that may be a poor comparison for pricing or market demand...

u might try describing...
-WHAT is planned for a tow'd trailer,
-HOW u plan to tow it and
-if CAMPING is part of the goal...

while the b/c looks cool outside and has some neat interior trim bits,

it is really best suited as a vendor booth, or rolling advert/display thing.

or it might be an ok backyard cabana thing...

and since it is a primarily a fiberglass shell with some shiny skin tacked on...

i REALLY question the durability and long term issues for owning one that gets used much.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Thanks for the predictions. See two posts down for the answers to most of your questions. I'm looking for what the real differences are between 2007 and 2008 models.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
_

. , .
email tech support in j/c, they can describe any changes...

for example, the door hinges have a better, but still wimpy retention strap on the new versions.

and a quick read of the basecamp threads can give you first hand info form the 6 or 7 owners here.

i don't think there are ANY changes (07 to 08) that will affect RESALE value.

IF trying to buy one of these, start with airstream of arkansas.

if gene doesn't have 1 or can't get one, he'll still give you the best pricing info.

for star gazing, IF you plan to go off road at all, get the one with the off road tire/wheel package.

the other model with low profile performance tires and wheels would not be ideal for rocks or pothole roads

u could easily find a used a/s trailer in the 16-19ft size that would serve the same purpose of hauling gear...

and it would have real rv features, like a water tank and bed and toilet and fridge and heater.

and the resale potential is much much better for a real 'stream.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Thanks 2air.

I did talk with Gene at Arkansas and he was helpful. Sounds like the two biggies between '07 and '08 are the heavy duty axle being standard on '08 and the door straps. Seems like best thing to do would be to find a used '07 at a good price now or wait until the '08 prices come down further.

I do like the looks of the Bambi but that would be more than I'd need and more than twice the price.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
PGG61,

07-08 BC? I would follow recent sales, it appears that the last units of the BC are selling at higher average sales price than before ( read appreciating ) and the earlier units are also selling at higher average price post discontinue news. I saw an 08 unit sell for 30k at Colonial and I bot my there on consignment in Feb.08. Last used units I have seen are trading 19k to 20k low-end. I think that with the limited number of copies that the price will rise in the future. Are there 300 buyers that might want one?
That's the question. I bot mine at the height of the gas crisis to try to get the best price and now that gas per gallon is coming down there appears to be a correlation to the BC entry Airstream option. Can you imagine what a Bambi would be worth if only 300 were ever made? Scarcity, novelty and packability. I put alot of stuff in there for my trip last week to Upstate N.Y.
You noticed these trends in your previous note, I would say that my experience confirms what you are noticing.
My two cents, buy the used and save the money for gas.

Stylin,
BizCamp