Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pearland , Texas
'08 Basecamp

So the decision is pretty much made. I've looked at quite a few other brands that seem to have the same purpose and I'm pretty well sold on the Basecamp being the way to go. Planning on waiting till right after the first part of the year to get one.

Has anyone heard anything about some of the problems being fixed in the new '08s? Heard anymore about the possibility of making a bigger one?

If they didn't address any issues, i can pick up an '07 at one of the dealers here probably for a decent price.

Would love to buy a 19' or 23' CCD instead but need to be able to haul a 4wheeler with me. have to add a CCD down the road for the trips i don't need the 4wheeler.
rhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi rho'

there were tenative plans for a double axle version...

i've seen the drawings of it, which are now mia

as i think the bc may be d/c'd soon.

getting the actual inside scoop on the bc is a pia

bol with your purchase.

fyi...

don't pay msrp

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pearland , Texas
here's a question. can anything be done so that i can haul a 19' or 23' CCD with my tailgate down? i don't see it being possible.

if one of those fancy hitches is on there will it stretch it out far enough?

if i could put a 4wheeler in the bed of my truck this wouldn't be an issue, i'd buy a CCD, but one won't fit with the tailgate up. that's what i get for buying the CrewMax Tundra instead of the Double Cab.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pearland , Texas
so the local dealership has an '07 basecamp on the lot with all the accessories. MSRP on it is $31,400 and on their website they're showing a Reduced Price of $25,900.

Fair enough or not? I've never bought a travel trailer, not sure of the mark-up. whatcha think?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Although the Basecamp is a really cool looking tow behind. I think you really have to think long and hard about actually owning one. It's not really a travel trailer and it doesn't really seem well suited to carrying ATV's or the like. Plus, for what you get, it's super expensive.If it's just your tailgate stopping you from getting the the 19' or 23'CCD, why not just take the tail gate off and use tie-downs and a net type tail gate?
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I'm w/ craftsman on that thought. Not to confuse you but you would be much much more comfy in a CCD. The tie down only idea will work w/out the tailgate....also I have a Tundra D-Cab....they still don't fit

wooo...I just started reading the rest of my morning threads. This would be right up your alley....might want to be patient.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/airstreams-new-toy-hauler-37974.html.............
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
This is a somewhat expensive option, but purchase of a Hensley Arrow hitch would solve your tailgate problem. This hitch places a much greater distance between the tow vehicle and Airstream allowing use of the tow vehicle's tailgate. This option would allow you to purchase a REAL trailer such as the 19' or 23' CCD and enable you to carry the ATV in the bed of the pickup with the tail gate down. Though expensive as hitches go, this is a much cheaper option than a purchase of a base camp which rumor has it is to be discontinued. It also allows you to tow safely with the best available hitch. As previously stated, the Base Camp is not really a travel trailer and doesn't offer the comforts of the 19' or 23' CCD trailers.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
How much additional length do you need to leave the tailgate down?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
rhoward, Welcome to the FORUMS and HAPPY Birthday today!!
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:10 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Markup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoward
Fair enough or not? I've never bought a travel trailer, not sure of the mark-up. whatcha think?
It about 100% for the Airstreams. Dealer cost to MSRP.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
It about 100% for the Airstreams. Dealer cost to MSRP.
Hey Michelle...this seems "a bit" high...what is your source?

100% mark up would be such...$50,000 MSRP = $25,000 dealer cost. My best understanding is that a $50,000 MSRP would have a dealer cost of about 70%-75%...say $35,000-$37,500.

Any other input?

Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
One of the dealers let it slip. don't ask me which one. I intentionally forget those things.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pearland , Texas
i appreciate all the input. I love the CCD, just concerned that I would be leaving it at home and packing the tent up alot for a few of the trips I always make, not sure I could get anything longer than a basecamp there. After some research, looks I would be way over my payload if i put a 4-wheeler in the bed of the truck combined with people and the tongue weight of the trailer.

me and my better half are definitely at odds on this. she is against the basecamp as well as against the price tag of a CCD. Her option is to spend 20K - 25K on an SOB that is either a toy hauler or just standard TT. I just see a huge quality difference when i look over an airstream versus the SOBs I've looked at. And to be blunt, 99% of TT companies need to completely fire their design team, especailly their interior design group and start over. I've yet to see an SOB that I wouldn't immediately have to gut and redo.

if it was just me (and on a lot of my trips it is just me) I would have already bought the Basecamp, fits me perfectly. Just doesn't fit her.

I like the idea of the new toy hauler on the other thread but I'm sure that if the 23' CCD is at the top of my price range then that one will be well beyond what i want to pay and definitely beyond what i want to tow.

And thanks for the Birthday wish!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #14
_

. , .
hi rho'

i'm not so sure the basecamp is any more 'off road' worthy than other small single axle streams....

and price on these b/c things is greatly discounted now, it has to be to move them.

dealers will likely take a loss or write it off to the advertising budget.

you are still paying about 10,000$ per gallon of fresh water in the basecamp.

if your target price is 20-25k$, look for a used 22 or 23 or 19.

it's easy to get snowed by a shiny new interior, but a preowned unit QUICKLY becomes your baby too....

and getting a used unit means that should you quickly want another size/model, the hit isn't so large.

besides it reads like you are gonna be doing things outdoors most of the time anyway.

your trailer should have a toilet, adequate hot water and holding tanks, room to cook, fridge and a useful bed and the minimum of leaks....

the b/c has none of those things, well except the leaks.

you be surprised where a standard a/s can go, IF you go slow enough.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
offroadability

We pull a 25 footer.

We boondock %80 of the time in the desert.

If there is any trace of a dirt road you can go there. You just slow down and pick your path. True we've had to stop and roll a rock outta the way. You also have to be carefull in washes. The trailer articulates more than you'd think.

What I looked for is where the water tanks are located and where the dump valves are located. When you look at some trailers you can see where on your first trip out you just know they are gonna get ripped off.

The Safari Sports are norrower and lighter than the regular Airstream trailer. Got nice big bathrooms too. Consider with the lighter wieght of a sport putting a bar across the back of your cab and haulin the four wheeler wheels up on that. You should be able to close the tailgate and have a nice trailer for the wife's comfort.

Good luck in your hunt.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote