Old 08-07-2016, 01:06 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 Argosy 24
Edmonton , Alberta
Sad...

Unfortunately I'm trying desperately to find an original 71-73 Excella 500 and every one I do find gets gutted! It's not fair! When there are soo many cheaper and in better shape newer ones to gut

Sorry for the rant...I hope your Reno goes well and you have many years of memories with your new shiny AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydbambi View Post
Good morning - apologies for the delay in reply.

Thank you for your interest in buying or trading for my AS. I have recently gutted the interior and starting to remove the original plywood subfloor. As suspected, the bathroom section is totally rotten and I need to get down to the frame to check condition. The rest of the floor looks to be pretty good - except for the around the door and at the front, under the windows. It's time for new insulation under the floor anyways.

I will also remove the interior panels and insulation. Once leaks are checked and fixed, I plan to go with a foam insulation before installing the interior panels.

I plan to stick build all the new cabinetry, with the thought to make it a modular and convertible design, for commercial and pleasure use. I'll post designs and photos once I get there....

Thanks again for your interest in my unit. Cheers!

Old 08-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stork View Post
Unfortunately I'm trying desperately to find an original 71-73 Excella 500 and every one I do find gets gutted! It's not fair! When there are soo many cheaper and in better shape newer ones to gut

Sorry for the rant...I hope your Reno goes well and you have many years of memories with your new shiny AS
It may have something to do with the interior being a horrible mixture of Star Trek and Good Times.
It feels like you're in a low budget airliner instead of a land yacht. But to each his own lots of people love it.

I recently purchased a 73 excella 500 center bath that was gutted by the PO and am doing frame up on it. They kept the interior but I won't be using it. Very cheaply made and surprisingly heavy.
And tambour doors on a moving vehicle? Best idea since rubber gaskets on vent pipes.

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-08-2016, 12:08 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 Argosy 24
Edmonton , Alberta
73' was the first year of gaudy...71'-72' have no wallpaper just the bare white walls...Tambor doors are a mixed blessing, you can leave them open and have easy access without the stupid door that is always in the way, they let light in from above so you can see easier in the cabinet and they automatically close if you leave them open while driving...but they have their issues too. A 71' Excella in original dark blue with the Excella 'wood grain finish' has a classy look. That was my whole point, leave the pretty ones original do whatever you want with the wallpaper years!
Old 11-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
stow , Ohio
The main differences between an Excella 500 and a regular AS is the Excella had upgraded carpet, upholstery, drapes, swag lamp, the high pressure laminate used in the panels was upgraded, of course the blue trim on the outside and the early Excellas had a retractable hose reel. AS had no trouble selling the Excella 500 as it became a status symbol among AS owners and a cut above the regular AS.