Old 05-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
The CriscoCan
1969 27' Overlander
Hamilton , Texas
Need information for '72 Excella 500

Anyone have specs and/or floor plans for '72 Excella 500. Can not find any info on Airstream Inc. sight. Weights etc. We are looking to purchase one in very good shape except for some minor problems. Will Fantastic fans and covers fit in the roof vents? This one has the center bath and we were told had a double bed that has been changed to twins. How hard to change to king? is there room? What came standard in this model? Thanks for any help.

CriscoCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Did you look at this site: Airstream, Inc :: 1970's ? Some of the catalog items are listed in different years.. I am pretty sure the Excella 500's were a 31' version at slightly lower trim level than Sovereign's. I thought they appeared first as '73 models, but someone else can weigh in..

Old roof vents are semi-worthless (more noise, ,less air moving..), but they are generally wired for 12V power and fit 14" square, which should accommodate a Fantastic fan with some effort. We had dealer install 2 in our '88, replacing one motorized fan vent and 1 basic crank-up vent lid.. (WELL worth doing!) If rear bed fits in sideways as shown on Sovereign floorplans, then there may not be either width or length to upgrade to King bed.. Only way to tell for sure is to get into trailer with tape measure and see what space there is.. Be careful also about either wheel wells, plumbing work or external storage compartments designed to sit under bed, as those may limit your options as well.

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Don't think a king will fit. Maybe a queen but you are best to leave the 2 twins IMHO. Look at the 73 floorplans and spec sheet. I have a 77 and have 2 fantastic vents. The drawback to the fantastic vents is that you have to remove the light fixtures which are part of the original vent fan assemblies and those areas may be a little dark as a result but on the plus side the 12v power is already there for the fantastic vents. I replaced the vent in the front living area, which was no loss as I have a chandelier and the 2 12v reading lights and in the rear, which in your trailer could be the overhead lighting in the bedroom. I have a rear bath and the vent is between the 2 closets and it can be a bit dark when looking in the closet for something. The little lights in the closets help.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Break out the tape measure and check! The please take some pictures and also it is not will it fit it is how the heck ya getting it in there? Shell off bed in shell on?
Gotta get busy! Have a great day! Now where did I put those revits?
RM66caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
The CriscoCan
1969 27' Overlander
Hamilton , Texas
Thanks for all the replies. After we had a good look at the Excella in person we decided not to purchase it. The owners had not used it for many years and even though it was stored under a RV port the unuse has show very badly. The rear bed was originally twin converted to double with a piece of plywood then back to twin. None of the doors on inside would open easily and most cabinet doors were falling apart. None of the vents would open and there was some electrical problem, I was able to splice and wire direct/ I calls it hooking up backward / to panel to check fridge and AC. both worked but were only cool. Also owner had added ugly bare bulb florescent lights under kitchen sink and in rear bedroom. We just don't think it was worth the $8500 the were asking and offered $5000. No take! So we are working on our '69 Overlader.
CriscoCan is offline   Reply With Quote