Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
mixing self adjusting with manual electric brakes

Can't seem to find an answer. I Have an older 1990 tri-axle electric brakes. Recently one of brakes on drivers side (center axle) has begun sticking. All other 5 brakes seem to be working fine. Could see where the magnet was dragging on back of the backing plate. We are looking at changing out the backing plates on both RH and LH. I am running on older 2800# Henschen axles. These are 12" brakes and best i can tell the Dexter, LCI and AP Products, sources i have available locally seem to have same hole pattern and will fit the Henschen Hub.

My question is am i wise to go with self adjusting now or stick to manual; i.e. is it wise to go with self- adjusting with these two while the remaining two axles are manual adjust.

Also any thoughts about LCI or AP products, which are sold by Camping world.

Appreciate any feedback. Jim
griffithj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Personal preference....🤔

Jim.

Has manual adjusting when needed become a concern?

I prefer manual, ck at Spring get-ready and adjust if needed.
That way it's pretty easy to tell if the star wheel is free and everything working as designed.
Plus I've found some self adjusters apply unneeded drag.
Barely touching is best...no heat.

POI...I don't trust CW any further than I can throw a potato chip.
LP & dump only...unless OTR emergency, and then only for parts.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I put self adjusters on mine and they work great. The axles with the self adjusters will do the majority of the work because the manual ones will never be adjusted correctly. I expect you can just run two axles with 12 in brakes and be fine anyway. Also getting the same breaking force on all wheels is hard with manual adjusters. It probably won't hurt to mix them but expect problems with the manual brakes not pulling their load.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think it would be okay to put the self adjusters on just one axle. I think it would be better for a trailer of that age to just replace all of the brakes if resources allow. I put self adjusters and new drums from E trailer on my 1988 model trailer (10 inch drums) and they seem to be fine. Have about 10,000 miles on them. I do not know about the parts from Camping World.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Can not edit. Check etrailer for brakes. they have Dexter and cheaper sets.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I put a couple of these sets on mine. They work great. Almost have too much brakes. This replaces everything. Bearings were for 7000lb which gives you extra margin for wear. Yes they are Chinese bearings but are lightly loaded. You need to replace drums and backing plates. Worn out drums and magnet surfaces won't cut it. You get them in two days if you have Amazon prime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Smile Thanking all for the input on brakes

I read all the post and really appreciate all the feedback. I kinda got myself behind the gun though; I should have posted my question a 10 days ago when I had time to order Dexter self adjusting. Seemed to be mix reviews on whether should mix SA with Manual. Anyway, given my shortage of time, I did go ahead and buy the LPI or Lippert brakes self adjusting from CW; (paid about $80/) I checked them out this morning and all seems to be working good; hope I can still say that later on. Getting under the trailer doing manual adjusting is little tough for me so I am just hoping the self adjusting ones mix with the other two axle manual brakes. If not I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it.... The drums looked good and smooth on both wheels. Fingers crossed. Again Thanks; Thanks. Jim
Old 04-28-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
If you check drum temps with IR temp gun and they are running close good deal.

Not sure what I’d call close, that’s part of the study.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You did fine. There is no law that says you have to order stuff that you can find locally. Camping World carries good stuff. I just posted the e trailer as a possible source for reference. Dexter has had some brake problems in the the last few years. Two spectacular failures on our last caravan were fairly new Dexter brakes.

Got to face up to getting dirty and pulling the hubs to check my brakes. I seem to be a "grease magnet" when I work on these things. Better here than on the road though.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

With any brake system it's a good idea to do a "touch test" on the hubs and tires when you pull over. It does not take much time and you don't need a fancy IR gun. You never know when you *might* notice something ( = I did ...). Of course you also can have stuff fail and not notice it ( = I did that as well ...).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

With any brake system it's a good idea to do a "touch test" on the hubs and tires when you pull over. It does not take much time and you don't need a fancy IR gun. You never know when you *might* notice something ( = I did ...). Of course you also can have stuff fail and not notice it ( = I did that as well ...).

Bob
Not sure about fancy, and a IR gun can save getting dirty, save getting burned and is easy, faster and far more accurate than touch. For under ten bucks US and 12 for Canadian almost seems like stealing for fancy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Temperat...EAAOSwZrtcsTZe
Old 04-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Thumbs up Thanks again for the brake feedback.

Seems a smart idea to check the temp of the hubs on the road and easy enough to do.

So happens I do have one of IR guns so plan to take it along for just that purpose.

Again Thanks! Jim