Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Americus , Georgia
Elec. Brakes

I have a new ford F-350 DW with a built-in brake controller. My question is will this work with the new 2006 elec. brakes?
Bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Opinions will abound, but if you are seriously considering using your truck with a new Airstream (with disk brakes), you should contact the factory for the final answer. Don't trust your dealer.

Any controller will work with drum brakes.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Welcome

Bruce,

Welcome to the forums!

Another "reliable source" if you are talking disc brakes would be Dexter axle. As they are the manufacturers of the Airstream axles with disc brakes for 2006!

I hope this helps,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi bruce

YES the ford brake controller will work with the electric/hydraulic disc brakes and the drum brakes on the 05 and later airstreams.

there WAS some confusion about this when the switch to disc occured. while at the airstream factory i had one of their techs call ford. eventually a ford engineer exchanged info with the airstream tech....

basically the 2 systems work perfectly together.... with one exception for the electric/disc system, as i understood......

at a complete stop with the brakes constantly applied, the trailer brakes will release after a time, instead of staying engaged. this has to do with how the actibrake circuit board receives the signal from the controller and somehow protects the trailer brake system. so if one where to stop and then keep a foot on the brake pedal (say at a stop light/rr crossing) the trailer brakes would release leaving the truck brakes engaged.....then as the truck/trailer start to move the signal strength to the trailer increases as the speed increases with full strength at 20-25? mph as i recall. during regular driving when the brakes are used normally the controller signal is received at full strength all the time.....

i may not have explained this correctly but that's how i understood them..

what i do know is that i have an 05 250psd with the tow command system and an 05 with the disc brakes x6. after the initial adjustment of the boost and dialing in the system, mine have worked great! 10k miles towing without an issue. the trailer brakes work better once warmed up....like most disc systems. i'm very happy with the ford set up.....and partly selected the ford based on the integrated controller and other key towing features.

there are at least 2 threads on this topic....try searching tow command with disc brakes for the original posts/threads.

axleman.....i'm not sure dexter would know one way or the other or would accept the legal responsibility for the answer....the brake systems is not their product....it's actibrake i think, and while airstream has switched axle vendors my 05 has henschens...i don't think the switch was made till august 05.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
No flames intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
axleman.....i'm not sure dexter would know one way or the other or would accept the legal responsibility for the answer....the brake systems is not their product....it's actibrake i think, and while airstream has switched axle vendors my 05 has henschens...i don't think the switch was made till august 05.

cheers
2air'
2air'

First let me say – I am not trying to offend.

The Actibrake was used in conjunction with the Kodiak disc system applied to Henschen axles. Airstream no longer uses Henschen axles, thus they no longer use the Actibrake. The new axle supplier is Dexter and Dexter uses a proprietary system manufactured by Dexter - only.

Yes your 2005 had the Henschen/Kodiak system however Bruce clearly states 2006 model.

As the largest axle manufacturer in the U.S.A. - Dexter designed and engineered their disc brake system. I know for a fact that will know about compatibility with a Ford truck.

Additionally – I was just pointing out in Tom W’s statement that someone other than Airstream may know this answer!

Sincerely,
Henry
Old 01-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
_

. , .
axleman

hey no offense perceived. aren't we all just sharing info and experiences...

while i was aware of the axle change, i wasn't aware that the change also involved the actibrake/kodiak setup. that's great info and sure seems logical that dexter would do the full tilt. the only 06 i've seen sure had an actibrake fluid reservoir in the tongue box.....perhaps it was an early 06....

so as the largest yada yada, does dexter make discs and rotors and the controller and hydraulics and so on? or do they assemble the bits from other vendors and send it all to the frame vendor.....just wondering since the 05 system has bits readily available from gm and napa....

given airstream and dexter are involved, seems a call to either could provide an answer. so you think dexter tested with all the common brake controllers and will be willing to answer questions on compatibility......

cheers
2air'
Old 01-02-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
axleman

hey no offense perceived.

so as the largest yada yada, does dexter make discs and rotors and the controller and hydraulics and so on? or do they assemble the bits from other vendors and send it all to the frame vendor.....just wondering since the 05 system has bits readily available from gm and napa....

given airstream and dexter are involved, seems a call to either could provide an answer. so you think dexter tested with all the common brake controllers and will be willing to answer questions on compatibility......

cheers
2air'
2air'

Check out Uwe's thread a63forme - he installed the Dexter system before Airstream did - that guy rock's man!

Dexter does it all - soup to nuts - all pieces included.

The Kodiak system is a great system - I sold it for years (before I retired in August of this year)! The Dexter system is great also.

Thanks for not taking offense - I learn a lot from these forums also.

Regards,
Henry
Old 01-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Americus , Georgia
Elec Brake controller

Thanks to all of you. I will call ford tomorrow.
Bruce H
Bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi bruce and others

contacted dexter via email,
and asked about this issue......

here is their email reply:

"Ford in-cab controller vs. Dexter EH-actuator....."

"Dear Sir,
As far as we know the controller works with our electro-hydraulic
actuator. However we had reports that earlier models of our actuators
created on rare occasions an error message on the display while the
brakes kept on working normally. This was resolved with actuators with a
serial number 2000 and above.

Sincerely

Lutz Kolano
Product Design Engineer
Dexter Axle
Phone: 574-296-7361"

cheers
2air'
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Ford?

Hey that makes me wonder what Bruce was able to find out from Ford?

Just Curious,
Henry
Old 01-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Axleman, I had problems communicating in this forum since last summer. Now I am back and was hoping to order my axles for my 70 overlander. I had a great quote from you but now I read that you retired last summer. Can I still order these axles at the price quoted by you and who do I contact? Also do you still recommend the same axles with disc brakes?
Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Actibrake and Airstream

Let me jump in on this one. As the GM of an Airstream dealership I can say with certainty that Airstream is STILL using the Actibrake actuator. Yes, they did decide to go with Dexter axles and disc brakes on the Classics (ONLY the Classics get disc brakes, all others electric drum), but they have a strategic relationship with Actibrake and will continue to use the Actibrake actuator. The Actibrake unit has been successfully tested with the Tekonsha/Ford brake controller installed on the Super Duties (per Actibrake). If you are ordering a Safari or International, you will be getting the standard electric/magnetic drum brakes that have been used for years and the Ford controller works on those as well. BTW, presently you can't order disc brakes on the Safari and Internationals. You have to either have a qualified dealer do the retrofit or take it back to the factory.

David Tidmore
GM Roger Williams Airstream
Weatherford, TX
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbw
Let me jump in on this one. As the GM of an Airstream dealership I can say with certainty that Airstream is STILL using the Actibrake actuator. Yes, they did decide to go with Dexter axles and disc brakes on the Classics (ONLY the Classics get disc brakes, all others electric drum), but they have a strategic relationship with Actibrake and will continue to use the Actibrake actuator. The Actibrake unit has been successfully tested with the Tekonsha/Ford brake controller installed on the Super Duties (per Actibrake). If you are ordering a Safari or International, you will be getting the standard electric/magnetic drum brakes that have been used for years and the Ford controller works on those as well. BTW, presently you can't order disc brakes on the Safari and Internationals. You have to either have a qualified dealer do the retrofit or take it back to the factory.

David Tidmore
GM Roger Williams Airstream
Weatherford, TX
David,

That's GOOD NEWS - I sold the Actibrake unit for several years, prior to retiring in August of 2005. That is one fine piece with great customer support.

What you are saying then is that the Actibrake is used in conjunction with the Dexter disc brake axle - that's petty cool. I did not know that.

Thanks,
Henry
Old 01-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Sorry 2air'

2air',

Oop's, you tried to tell me that - sorry. Sometimes the rock on my shoulders can be dense!

Regards,
Henry
Old 01-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
_

. , .
axleman and others

no offense taken and no apology needed. none of us have all the answers and we are all open to learning from each other.....i hope.

the important thing is that bruce can be reasonably sure his truck with play nicely with the airstream, and if he wants to verify the controller, he can look inside the box on the tongue.

it's always nice when david tunes in and takes the time to post here....i'm hoping to stop by his shop next month and say hello.

so for those keepin' score....sing along with me........

tow command connected to the actibrake,
the actibrake connected to the dexter,
the dexter connected to the alcoa,
the alcoa connected to the goodyear,
the goodyear connected to the roadway,

and all work to stop the 'load....

i'm happy
cheers
2air'
Old 01-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Well said!

Quote:
axleman and others

no offense taken and no apology needed. none of us have all the answers and we are all open to learning from each other.....i hope.

cheers
2air'
2air'

Well said my friend!

Like you - I like to learn. These forums are a great source for my education!

Regards,
Henry