Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
50 psi in a load range E tire??

Going to buy tires for the trailer this spring. My trailer came with load range C tires and the factory inflation sticker shows 45 psi. The new Good year Endurance tires that are most poplar are load range E, max inflation 80 psi. There is a smaller Endurance that is load range D, 65 psi.

Not sure I like the idea of under inflating the load range E to 50 or so psi. Am very sure I do not want to run 80 psi.

Am currently running the P 15" Michelin XL tires. They are 4 ply rated.

What to do? Are the Endurance going to have more puncture resistance than the Michelins? Are they going to run hot if inflated to 50 or so PSI?

Is anybody running the D rated Endurance?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I run E carlise as endurance came out shortly after I pur. carlise but I run them at 65 psi. 80 is for heavier loads. My 2500 silverado has E tires and unless towing or loads run 60psi rear 55psi front, have did this way for yrs. IMO would pur. E rated run at 65psi.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Definitely do not run under inflated that much. Sidewalls will be way to soft.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Is anybody running the D rated Endurance?
Pretty sure the D rated Endurance are not available in 15". Besides a D rated tire is only good for 65 mph.

Most folks with the E rated Endurance are running between 60 and 80 psi. Don't ask me to give a definitive answer, because there isn't one.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
IMO, you should inflate your TT tires to max cold. If the endurance are rated at 80PSI cold that's where you should run them. Lower inflation will result in sidewall flexing under load, especially as the tire heats up, and potential failure. My2c
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
I have had several Goodyear blowouts and I hate those tires!!!!
I like the Mich. just fine, but the 10 Ply Carlisle are the best you can get!
Throw away your goodyears.
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
"E" rated tires

My tow vehicle is a 2013 Ford E150 Xlt Premium van factory equipped with "E" rated Michelin Defender tires. The inflation sticker in the door jamb indicates 55 PSI Front and 80 PSI rear. Front axle is rated for 3700LB. Rear axle is rated for 5700LB. GVW is rated at 8600LB. I run 50 PSI in front tires and 70 PSI in rear tires, towing or not towing. I have weighed both not towing and loaded up plus 23D airstream. All within limits. You should have no problem running 50 or 55 PSI in your "E" rated tire. Keep in mind that the MAX COLD PSI of 80LBS is needed to support the MAX weight rating listed on sidewall. Lower pressure means less weight on tire. Just MHO. (I have 1.5+ million miles driving Class 8 trucks all over the country, so I am very careful with my tire inflation and check them often.)
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
I have had several Goodyear blowouts and I hate those tires!!!!
I like the Mich. just fine, but the 10 Ply Carlisle are the best you can get!
Throw away your goodyears.
I agree about carlisles being very good as I have been running them for yrs. D rated now that they have E [10 ply rating] I have them and run at 65psi and never get hot and normal wear. At every stop I feel tread old habit of thumping tires if losing air and hubs for heat, and never felt any heat running 65psi. Plus I tow at 70 to 75 mph. I also have full fresh water leaving and do not dump until getting home for 4 day trips so wt. is a little heavy but with in limits of AS ratings I think?
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
Manufacturer's usually have a table of psi vs rated weight.

If this is for the 32', I have a 33' and am running Load E's at 80 psi.

If this is for the 25', I would definitely step up to higher than Class C as you will feel the improvement in how the trailer rolls from the higher psi. Just check to see if the manufacturer supports lower pressure than max cold rating. If the decision is to go with the Load E's, the 25' is possibly a little light for 80 psi, so your call on whether to air-up that high. Also, as already noted, check to see if there are further speed restrictions from a psi lower than max cold.

While not an exact comparison, it is common for light trucks to specify Load E's and then call for the front tires to inflate to ~50 as uraljohn points out. Ok, sure, one is a ST tire and the other is a LT which goes back to the point about checking with the manufacturer's table
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
My tow vehicle is a 2013 Ford E150 Xlt Premium van factory equipped with "E" rated Michelin Defender tires. The inflation sticker in the door jamb indicates 55 PSI Front and 80 PSI rear. Front axle is rated for 3700LB. Rear axle is rated for 5700LB. GVW is rated at 8600LB. I run 50 PSI in front tires and 70 PSI in rear tires, towing or not towing. I have weighed both not towing and loaded up plus 23D airstream. All within limits. You should have no problem running 50 or 55 PSI in your "E" rated tire. Keep in mind that the MAX COLD PSI of 80LBS is needed to support the MAX weight rating listed on sidewall. Lower pressure means less weight on tire. Just MHO. (I have 1.5+ million miles driving Class 8 trucks all over the country, so I am very careful with my tire inflation and check them often.)
I forgot to add that I run the Goodyear Endurance 15" tires that came on my 2017 23D at 70 PSI. My 23D loaded with all our stuff ready to travel weighs right at 5400LBS. Each tire is only carrying approx. 1350LBS. No need to run the MAX COLD PSI of 80 when so lightly loaded. Makes for slightly better ride for the Airstream and no shift of cargo. We travel pretty light in the trailer since our van has a cargo capacity rating of just over 2500LBS.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
What is wrong with your michelins? Put new ones on....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Keswick , VA
I replaced 4 year old Goodyear Marathons May 2017 with the "new" Goodyear Endurance. Since that time have put almost 20,000 miles on the trailer including one 13,000 3 month road trip coast to coast. I kept them cold inflated at 75-80 psi. Towed mostly 60-65 mph. These tires have worn exceptionally well. Never lost pressure. I spent a lot of time considering Michelin "truck" load range E tires or the GY ST (trailer) Endurance. When I called Jackson Center the tech absolutely recommended the Endurance tire. Very pleased I made that decision.
herkvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I run E rated Michelins. Inflate to 65 psi cold. When they warm up the pressure will increase to about 70 psi. This will allow a slightly softer ride, your cornflakes will stay on the shelf.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
I don't like Goodyear...tires... had my fill of their failures as well as their service... I went to mitch years ago and now that is about all I have been run'n for years... will stick with them till something else comes along...

As to tire size... if I were you.. I'd make the jump to 16 inch rims and tires.. much more common for the weight and indeed load range max...

As to tire pressure... most seem to go with a higher pressure... airstream trailers need soft rides.. else your going to be having strange problems...

That being said.. I go with the weight vs tire pressure as the manufacture requires...
A lot of people think that it effects the sidewall... breakdown.. and so want to pump 'em up... hard... but, so long as they are not getting hot in the sidewall.. let 'em flex... and save the trailer...
Another thing that a lot of them don't seem to understand is that when you blow 'em up hard... you can and will get higher tire wear... as the dual's will scrub .. where as if the tire is softer.. it will flex... and not leave its rubber on the road... so we have found...

Each to their own... but I only run 45 lbs of air in mine and they are the mitch 16 inch...which are the same as what is on the PU... and they seem to do quite well on my trailer... I use the tire pressure chart for the tire and load... and it seems to be right on... for the life of the tire... of which most of the time you will replace 'em due to age than wear 'em out... Keeping the sun off of 'em does extend the life also...

Good luck..
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkvet View Post
I replaced 4 year old Goodyear Marathons May 2017 with the "new" Goodyear Endurance. Since that time have put almost 20,000 miles on the trailer including one 13,000 3 month road trip coast to coast. I kept them cold inflated at 75-80 psi. Towed mostly 60-65 mph. These tires have worn exceptionally well. Never lost pressure. I spent a lot of time considering Michelin "truck" load range E tires or the GY ST (trailer) Endurance. When I called Jackson Center the tech absolutely recommended the Endurance tire. Very pleased I made that decision.
I could almost say ditto to what herkvet posted. The only difference being we have a 19' Serenity and went half as far (8,000 miles), but same PSI and MPH. So far the GY Endurance E's have been great, and no popped rivets (well no more than "usual") nor bounced items in the trailer.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA View Post
They do, but it makes no sense. Otherwise, we'd all be running our tires at 30 psi.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Ran 44 psi in the 15” Michelin’s on our 2013 25FB International Serenity. These were installed on the stock wheels. Upgraded our 2015 23D International Serenity from the stock 14” tires and wheels to 15” wheels and same model 15” Michelin’s we used on the 25FB and run 44 psi.

The 25FB scaled 6,900 pounds loaded and our 23D scales 6,063 pounds loaded. In Canada, they use six15” Michelin’s on the34’ Airstream.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #18
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
I don't like Goodyear...tires... had my fill of their failures as well as their service... I went to mitch years ago and now that is about all I have been run'n for years... will stick with them till something else comes along...

As to tire size... if I were you.. I'd make the jump to 16 inch rims and tires.. much more common for the weight and indeed load range max...

As to tire pressure... most seem to go with a higher pressure... airstream trailers need soft rides.. else your going to be having strange problems...

That being said.. I go with the weight vs tire pressure as the manufacture requires...
A lot of people think that it effects the sidewall... breakdown.. and so want to pump 'em up... hard... but, so long as they are not getting hot in the sidewall.. let 'em flex... and save the trailer...
Another thing that a lot of them don't seem to understand is that when you blow 'em up hard... you can and will get higher tire wear... as the dual's will scrub .. where as if the tire is softer.. it will flex... and not leave its rubber on the road... so we have found...

Each to their own... but I only run 45 lbs of air in mine and they are the mitch 16 inch...which are the same as what is on the PU... and they seem to do quite well on my trailer... I use the tire pressure chart for the tire and load... and it seems to be right on... for the life of the tire... of which most of the time you will replace 'em due to age than wear 'em out... Keeping the sun off of 'em does extend the life also...

Good luck..
Sorry, but I don't buy in to this theory. When I bought my first trailer, a 4 year old Bambi, the PO stated that he ran the the GYM's at 45-50lbs for a softer ride. So later, with the trailer fully loaded, while traveling along the interstate, the trailer starts dancing side to side and one wheel goes flat. It wasn't a blow out, the tire was fine. But the sidewalls were flexing enough until the tire bead broke and the tire lost all of it's air. So lesson learned - low pressure and flexing sidewalls will eventually cause a tire to fail. It's not the tire brand that's faulty, it's the users failure to properly maintain their tires.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
They do, but it makes no sense. Otherwise, we'd all be running our tires at 30 psi.
Seems the interpretation of the statement is to examine the tables and de-air the tire to match the weight. That is certainly one way to go.

The tables show the weight that the tire will support for a given psi. If anybody wants to lower their psi to match the table, that is fine, but not the point

Personally, I'd rather run at a psi that allows one tire to fail and the survivors to not have stress from the loss. Without looking at any given table, this is likely a higher psi than what the table shows for the trailer's weight presuming all tires are holding their own

To the point, the OP asked whether Load E's would work for the trailer at a pressure less than 80 psi and also did not specify which trailer was in play. With that limited amount of information, the answer still looks like a universal 'Yes'
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Sorry, but I don't buy in to this theory. When I bought my first trailer, a 4 year old Bambi, the PO stated that he ran the the GYM's at 45-50lbs for a softer ride. So later, with the trailer fully loaded, while traveling along the interstate, the trailer starts dancing side to side and one wheel goes flat. It wasn't a blow out, the tire was fine. But the sidewalls were flexing enough until the tire bead broke and the tire lost all of it's air. So lesson learned - low pressure and flexing sidewalls will eventually cause a tire to fail. It's not the tire brand that's faulty, it's the users failure to properly maintain their tires.
Yea, ST tires don't like to flex, But LT tires love to flex.

« Tpms? | Top | Tpms? »