Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Growing old but not up

1972 29' Ambassador
St. Louis , Missouri
Window Replacement

The wrap around windows are in pretty bad shape so replacement is the next option. Two wrap around windows, 5/32 Olympic rivets, rivet remover kit, rivet shaver, rivet gun and sealant. Am I missing anything?
riskstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
When you say they are in bad shape, what do you mean? If they are broken, then yes, replacement is what you have to do. If they have water between the panes or something like this, then there are quick and dirty methods of draining the water, or you can rebuild the window as a single pane. Do a search for "wing window rebuild" and you'll see some discussions. I rebuilt mine without too much trouble. The reason I suggest a rebuild vs. a replacement is that you will never get the rivet holes to line up in the new window vs. the old, so you will end up drilling new holes in the shell to mount the new windows. If they should happen to fall between the old holes, then great, but likely, they will fall very near the old holes, and you will end up with a fairly marginal joint.

As for your materials, the rivet removal tool is not altogether necessary--you can just mark the rivets with a center punch and drill them out, or shear them from the side with a sharp putty knife. The metal "clamp bar" part that holds the wing window to the center window will likely get beaten up in the process. They are fairly cheap, so you might want to order a couple while you are putting in your order. I soaked mine in liquid wrench and then pushed them up using a block of wood and an air hammer and avoided any new damage. The last guy to replace the windows had beat the clamps with a hammer, and they were pretty scarred up.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskstl View Post
The wrap around windows are in pretty bad shape so replacement is the next option. Two wrap around windows, 5/32 Olympic rivets, rivet remover kit, rivet shaver, rivet gun and sealant. Am I missing anything?
1972 Airstream's did not use wrap windows, that are 40 inches wide.

But they did use "wing" windows along the sides of the front window, that are 14 inches wide.

Argosy trailer's, did use the wrap windows.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Growing old but not up

1972 29' Ambassador
St. Louis , Missouri

First, thanks to Andy and Belegedhel. I will be the first to admit to my inexperience but what I lack in that department is surpassed by my perserverence to make it right. I guess it would be better to start from the inside and work my way out. Below both wing windows where they join the center window is wood rot. There is a third area under the carpet in front of the sofa curb side (Pictures included). I thought this was due to leaking windows but the more I read I suspect its not the windows. Any suggestions as to where to start?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	195378   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	195379  

Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	195380  
riskstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskstl View Post
First, thanks to Andy and Belegedhel. I will be the first to admit to my inexperience but what I lack in that department is surpassed by my perserverence to make it right. I guess it would be better to start from the inside and work my way out. Below both wing windows where they join the center window is wood rot. There is a third area under the carpet in front of the sofa curb side (Pictures included). I thought this was due to leaking windows but the more I read I suspect its not the windows. Any suggestions as to where to start?
Start with the window gaskets.

Then clearance lights.

Check for adequate sealer on the exterior edges of the wing windows and the front window.

See if any rivets are missing from the front hold down plate.

Lastly, check the fasteners for the front rockgurad, if you have one.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Look real closely at the rivet heads on your wing windows. Both of the windows on my trailer had been replaced at some point and put back in place with Olympic rivets. They were not well sealed, and the rivet heads may have leaked as well, and I had similar rotten spots in my floor. I also found that the front windows will leak at the clamped seam between the center window and the wing windows, especially at the top.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote