Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
White Paint for roof ?

Hi , I am new to this site and have enjoyed reading some of the topics on here.I am probably asking about something that has already been visited. Have any of you ever painted the roof of your trailers with Kool Seal Elastoramic roof coating that can be bought at Camping World ? I have a 1991 34 ft trailer and the clear has pealed off in some places and have thought about painting it with this paint. But I don`t know if there would be any ill effects. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks Davis
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 08:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Question Also interested in the same

Hello.. we are getting ready to paint our 1975 26' Argosy.. taking the antenna off and having Fantastic fans put in prior to this .. My Husband is doing the body work and prep as that is his line of work.. and getting someone to paint it for us.. have considered this option also.. Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 09:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Davis, Don't do it. Ruins the looks and the resale value. If anything, tape off the center section of the roof just past the rivit line each side of the vents/AC and at the ends just past the rivit lines where the curved and straight sections meet. Use the fibered aluminum coating by Elixer (thinned a bit so it will brush easier). Apply in two coats about 5 days apart to allow it to cure. Won't peel, seals rivits, quiets the roof in rain, and you really can't see it from the ground unless you're really tall. If you're really concerned with resale value, don't even do this. Buyers want bright silver! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Thanks for the replies.Davis
Old 05-29-2004, 10:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Davis,

I am interested in the white roof as well. It is on the new units.

I am going to be at the factory next week. Intend to ask what they are using and if it is preapplied by Alcoa same as the clear coat.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 04:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
wingfoot1;

I think many of us would be interested what and how the factory applies to the new units roof. Please follow-up with this post when you return.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 07:24 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot1
Davis,

I am interested in the white roof as well. It is on the new units.

I am going to be at the factory next week. Intend to ask what they are using and if it is preapplied by Alcoa same as the clear coat.
Davis,
That is what it looks like to me. Aluminum is available in a variety of prefinished panels from the manufacturers. I am seriously considering coating the top panel of mine with a white elastomeric coating (Kool Seal is one brand) I will mask it and only paint the top center panel. I don't think it would affect the resale value on my unit, given that mine is one of the more common and less desirable units JMHO tho

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 08:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
If you look at some of the old caravan photos, you will see a lot of white roofs, especially the caravans that went through Africa and Egypt. Man, how did they do it without air conditioning?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 03:35 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Wingfoot1,

I would be very interested in what you find out at the factory.Thanks to all who have replied. Davis