Old 08-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #1

2002 30' Classic S/O
Spanaway , Washington
What wax to use after just washing our AS

What wax should I use after just washing our 30' Classic LTD S/O, 2002? I do not want to strip and wax after each washing.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I think there are many possibilities....I have seen many folks use "walbernize" wax.

Some use that maguires synthetic type (forget the name).

I use Griot's Garage Paint sealant once per year. I also use their spray on wax after most of my monthly washes....I use it sparingly...it helps me to dry it without getting water spots when I wash it when its too hot outside.

but many ways to skin a cat...lots of threads on this subject as I recall.

I will strongly endorse the Griot's Garage microfiber towels...just get a pack of 3 - a bit pricey sure, but after you use them, I hate my other types (although I have tried only a few other brands).

Good luck

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
I use a Mothers Carnuba wax and then follow on their Showtime Instant Detailer spray. The Detailer spray make the bug wipe right off with a micro fiber cloth. Only wax my AS once a year, but after every wash, I hit it with the Detailer spray. I also spray the windows with the detailer spray. Just spray your clean soft cloth, wipe it on in small areas, ad then wipe dry with a second clean soft cloth.
I am not a dealer or salesman, nor do I own stock in the company that manufactures these products, just been using them on my Street Rods for years and very happy with the results.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We wash with Glare that Airstream sells. Love it!!! It puts a shine on that is really nice. Just got done wiping down the stone guards with WD-40 and taking off some water spots with it. Shiny, shiny, shiny!
Airstream also suggests Glare wax, but we haven't had an opportunity to do that yet.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I think there are many possibilities....I have seen many folks use "walbernize" wax.

Some use that maguires synthetic type (forget the name).

I use Griot's Garage Paint sealant once per year. I also use their spray on wax after most of my monthly washes....I use it sparingly...it helps me to dry it without getting water spots when I wash it when its too hot outside.

but many ways to skin a cat...lots of threads on this subject as I recall.

I will strongly endorse the Griot's Garage microfiber towels...just get a pack of 3 - a bit pricey sure, but after you use them, I hate my other types (although I have tried only a few other brands).

Good luck
Agree totally on the microfiber clothes. Don't get the cheap ones, and don't use any fabric softener while washing them and don't use dryer sheets when drying them. They will work better and last longer.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Many owners will tell you they have found the best polish. We use Glare products as sold in the Airstream Store, but it is no better or worse than any quality modern quality polish. Don't skimp, buy good product.

Oh, and some owners have not used any in 10 years and their panels look as good as the rest of us.

It is more important to look for any nicks or minor corrosion while wiping it down after washing, and touch it up with a good clear coat touchup pen. Some small corrosion spots may need clean up and treating with CorrosionX before painting.

For more detailing and future corrosion protection Corrosion it is good to apply CorrosionX to all aluminum edges, rivets, and external fittings such as tail lights and door handles. Do this on a regular schedule ever few months, especially if exposed to coastal salt air or northern road salt.

Apply 303 UV Protection (a good commercial product) to exterior sealants, seals, plastic and fiberglass every few months as well.

And it is good to protect the steel parts under the shell such as axles, tire mount, stabilizer jacks, and storage tank straps with CorrosionX or Boeshield T9 (which leaves a paraffin wax residue).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"showtime instant detailer spray"...

well I am interested...I get some bug bits, and a few things from trees or weeds that are a B*$% to get off with my microfiber cloth during drying and such....I may try this out...thanks.

Also WD40 on the rock guards...gotta try that...I gave up on those water spots

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I recently went thru the Airstream factory tour. Don a long time employee now retired said that he uses Turtle wax on his, next best is walbernize.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
shiny

Yeah, we brought ours home(new) washed it. Just used Turtlewax Zipwax-wash and micro-fiber clothes. Very nice.
Then put it in the storage facility(inside) and used the Walbernize. Never had used Walbernize or ever heard of it , WOW !
I said to the wifey, They must have never shined our AS while it on the dealers lot ! It made a huge difference.

Easy to use, I had it in a old Mothers showtime spray bottle, worked like a champ, easy on easy off.
Like I said, I had never used Walbernize before, but it was easy to use and had very good results. That was two months ago and its still super shiny.
Have a good one !
Old 08-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
We have the same trailer as you. I have been using a product called Liquid Glass. It goes on and wipes off easily. I wax with it once per season just before we go to FL for the winter. The water beads up nicely for the whole year so I know it is still doing its job.
Dan
Old 08-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I JUST finished my Walbernizing job. Had trouble with the birds and bees, for real. The birds were making deposits as I worked and the bees were trying to chase me away. The Walbernize seam to attract them. Lucky, no stings.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
We have the same trailer as you. I have been using a product called Liquid Glass. It goes on and wipes off easily. I wax with it once per season just before we go to FL for the winter. The water beads up nicely for the whole year so I know it is still doing its job.
Dan
Plus 1 on Liquid Glass. It's an acrylic polymer, doesn't yellow, fade, or crack, and stays on a long time. Such a long time that you can build it up with subsequent treatments. I'm using it to try to prolong the life of my Plasticoat on my old Excella.

BTW, after years of using only microfiber towels on show cars, I find that plain old cotton cloths work better with Liquid Glass and are easier to work with. Removes the residue more efficiently. And it's such a pain to have to wash a microfiber cloth every time you drop it (I'm clumsy).

In addition to the protection, it looks great. I was at a rally recently with mostly newer trailers and mine was the shiniest one there. I was proud of the old girl.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #13

2002 30' Classic S/O
Spanaway , Washington
Thank u all. Lots of great information.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Liquid glass gets another vote, twice a year easy on easy off, Florida sun is always on.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums