Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
What is the small white thing on the street side

What is the small white thing on the street side of my Airstream.At first I though it was some kind on vent. But it appears to be a light?

And how do I get the control pantle down to change bulbs,is it hard

polishing going slow much rail of late Billy
housebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Ground Fault light

On some models, there is a light lens about the size of a quarter that will light up if the camp ground electrical service has wrong wiring.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
no the lights look about the size of pencle

They are not quarter size very small Billy
housebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
If the "white thing" is located below the forward window toward the front of the trailer on the street side, then it is likely your photo optic light monitor. There are two photo optic wires that run back to the tail lights. It is designed so that it "sees" what the tail lights are doing. The apparatas has what appears to be two small lens positioned one above the other. If both lens illuminate, then that means that both tail lights are working. When a turn signal is turned on, one of the lights will flash indicating that the turn signal is operating correctly and so on. It is designed so that you can monitor your tail lights while under way by simply checking your mirrors; however the one on my trailer does not align with the mirrors on my F-250 sufficiently to allow me to monitor my lights with the mirrors. Another problem that some people experience is that the fiber optic wires must be positioned correctly in the tail light housing for them to see the bulbs and therefore transfer the light all the way to the front of the vehicle. Sometimes they need slight adjustment in order to operate correctly.

My vote is that what you are describing is the fiber optic light monitor.

GStephens

In oder for
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Two thing on the raod side of the trailer that pass a lot of owners initially. The fiber optic taillight assembly. This allows light check if driving alone - brakes, blinkers and running lights. Pretty neat idea and works great if clean and aligned.

There is also a small, facetted button further to the rear on the roadside of my 73 Excella. This is a polarity check. It is useful when hooking up to city power with only two prongs. If the light is on, reverse the plug. It may flash once in a while and that is not a sign of reverse polarity. Also, a neat idea. My 71 landyacht di not have that feature.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote