Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Waxing my AS

I've been reading a lot on this excellent forum about the appropriate wax to use on our ASs. I have found that, after many years of waxing my boat, that the best wax out there is a pure carnuba wax such as Collonite. This wax is used on boats airplanes and vehicles of al types and I have found that it lasts longer than any other wax product. This is documented by Practical Sailor which is the marine Consumer Reports. Application is accomplished by slightly wetting down with a spray bottle the area to be waxed (about 3x3) and then applying the wax. I remove the wax with a microfiber cloth when it just begins to haze. I keep all my polishing and application strokes in line with the grain of the AL. Check out the attachments for what the products looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wax up (1).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	202279   Click image for larger version

Name:	installed propride (2).jpg
Views:	264
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	202280  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron Singerman Mem Wknd 2013 94 (2).jpg
Views:	228
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	202281  
Old 12-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Truly impressive results. Can you use a random orbit polisher for applying the wax?

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
I've used Collonite for years….on cars, kayaks, but not yet on our AS…..love the product. My cars always look like new!!!!!!

I special order it from the company, because no one carries it here. Merry Christmas. Zigi
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Collonite wax

I have found that if I use any form of power polishing that the heat generated tends to thin the amount of wax that remains after polishing. You will find that the removal of the wax is quite easy when you do not permit it to completely set up and just form a haze. You can get the Collonite at any West Marine or online @ Defender marine ( better pricing).

..ron<<
Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Will you wax ours, pleeeease?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Collinite Auto, Marine and Industrial Wax Products Official Site » Collinite

This company produces the longest lasting wax I have ever used. I use the 885 formula for everything! Boat, cars, Airstream, everything.

The nice thing about the 885 is that it includes no polish in the wax. You are only waxing. This is important as it allows you to control exactly when you want to clean or polish (other products). Many people do not realize that they are removing a small amount of finish when they use a polish/wax, polish, rubbing compound etc. Over the years this has impact!

I never use power tools for wax removal or application and I do a 38' sailboat 2 times each season. That includes topsides,decks and cabin.

A lot of my spare time goes to waxing but my stuff always looks good....

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote