Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Nashville , Tennessee
Walbernize left cloudy streaks - what now?

Hello!

I used Walbernize Cleaner Polish & Glaze on my ‘56 Overlander. It left cloudy streaks. I applied by spray bottle, used a microfiber cloth to spread and then a new microfiber cloth to remove immediately after. Not sure what I did wrong, but now I’m wondering what I do from here. Is there another product I can use to bring back the shine? Should I try more Walbernize?

Thanks in advance for your help!
adarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
Did you try buffing the walbernjze off with a dry microfiber, after it hazed over?

Has the trailer been polished or is it just gray?
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
It was polished to a mirror shine about 4 years ago, and we haven’t done anything since. I just gave it a really good wash which brought it back pretty shiny, but I was hoping to kick it up a notch with the Walbernize. Maybe I should have picked another product?
Old 05-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yep...there are newer better products for sure, most any of the polymer sealants will do a better job.👍
We have used Griot's One Step for years with excellent results. (removes the light blemishes from washing without using microfiber) 🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Send a message via Skype™ to AirGT65
Don't use Wolbernize with vintage polished aluminum

I had the same cloudy streaks after I used Walbernize on our 1966 Globe Trotter last year. I was told by other vintage Airstream owners and several restorers that the mild abrasive in Walbernize is designed to take out swirls on later Airstreams with coatings, NOT vintage rigs like ours that have highly polished skins. The same goes for other "polishes" like the one from Griot. They create cloudy streaks in highly polished aluminum.
Taking this advice, I tried using the proceedure for final polishing in the Vintage Trailer Supply website and got great results with a smalal area that was particularly cloudy.
Here is a link to that website: https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...tream-s/46.htm
This summer I'm going to wash our Airstream with Dawn (to get rid of any wax and sealant) then re-polish the entire trailer. No sealer for me in the future.
I do wish that Airstream dealers, repair facilities and the manufacturer of Wolbernize would warn owners about this problem.
AirGT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Glare+ Polish. Perfect everytime.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Salt Lake City , Utah
Take a look at ceramic coatings, most people apply it over a clear coat. Since you had the surface polished there will be no clear coat, but the ceramic coating should still work. Most of the effort in applying is the prep work, but well worth it. Many examples of the process online. Good for about 3 years depending on the brand of coating you choose. Some minor scratch protection, easy bug and road grime removal when washing. I have the coating on my vehicles too. After washing, I dry them with an electric leaf blower because the coating is hydrophobic. Much easier to keep a large object like an Airstream clean.
broupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #8

2018 16' Sport
Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarling View Post
Hello!

I used Walbernize Cleaner Polish & Glaze on my ‘56 Overlander. It left cloudy streaks. I applied by spray bottle, used a microfiber cloth to spread and then a new microfiber cloth to remove immediately after. Not sure what I did wrong, but now I’m wondering what I do from here. Is there another product I can use to bring back the shine? Should I try more Walbernize?

Thanks in advance for your help!
I have used the same product on my Airstream and I think it works great. I believe the vehicle must be pretty clean... the clouding I believe is dirt! Thanks, Nick
LPPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
I hope not! My arms are going to fall off from all the scrubbing I’ve done this week!
Old 05-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
Thanks for all the product suggestions! I’ll look into trying something new out just to see.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
aspen , Colorado
Vintage unpolished

What about Walbernize on an unpolished ‘65?
jane labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I use GLARE Professional Polish on my 2017 25FB. I applied it to our recently professionally polished 68 Caravel. I noticed that I had to use a lot of elbow grease to get through the haze. We reside near the sea and need to keep the influences of salt air at bay.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote