Old 08-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
1988 34' Excella
Rincon , Georgia
Vent leaking

New at this 1989 Ecella vent leaking. Question how do you get on the roof more to the point will it hold you? Or what do you do to fix the leak?
Thanks Grumpy Keith

Grumpy Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Yes, you can walk around on the roof--it will hold you. I typically try to put my weight only on the rivet lines, but this topic has been hashed over many times, and many folks offer the assurance that they step between the rivets all the time without issue. Just do not put any weight on the formed end-caps. They dent quite easily.

As for getting up there, I find leaning a ladder against the awning rail does the trick. If you are really going to do a bunch of work up there (ie., swapping out an AC unit), then renting some scaffolding to have a platform to work from is never a bad idea.

Once you find your leak...well it all depends on the nature of the leak, but sealants such as Parbond or Vulkem are usually the thing to use.

good luck!

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
The roof can hold you, but only where you see rivets, you will dent the roof if you put pressure anywhere else.

I use a 2x6 that is 4ft long, that is covered in old carpet, it allows me to sit on the board that spans at least two ribs along the roof. Works well for me, and have yet to dent my roof. Just be slow and careful.

damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote