Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This is my heritage. In addition, it is said that the Scot Presbyterians fled to the south during the Whisky Rebellion to escape the taxes and distill their own. Thus Southern Redneck "moonshiners". That is why I do take some offense to the way the term is used sometimes. My ancestors fought the Brits for religious freedom, fought taxes, and are considered dummies.....how?

"Historical Scottish Covenanter usage
In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell.[21][22] Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.[23]

Dictionaries document the earliest American citation of the term's use for Presbyterians in 1830, as "a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians of Fayetteville [North Carolina]".[10][22]"

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I like what they are doing, but I want to be a redneck when I grow up! Maybe the original windows were trashed, as well as the whole interior so they are upgrading to modern duel pane windows. A little grey paint on the frames after the skin is polished and the small mansion is good to go. Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Is the term "redneck" politically correct?

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
The owner of any RV has the property rights to change it any way they want. If they like it, it is their to do what they want. Spartans have nice birch plywood inside them, but they are not very good travel trailers.
Care to share your thoughts/ experiences on why Spartans are not very good travel trailers?

Pete
Petethefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petethefeet View Post
Care to share your thoughts/ experiences on why Spartans are not very good travel trailers?

Pete
I think the large ones were pretty much designed as "park Trailers". Heavy, bulky and as such, somewhat ill-handling. I believe they had residential appliances and furnishings as well. "Travel" being the operative word....they are really nice and well built trailers.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #26
Always lost?

1975 31' Excella 500
Chestermere , Alberta
as far as I have been led to believe the term "redneck" is a complement. It shows that you have been hard at work outside doing real labour for a long day or days and have earned your red neck. If at the end of that long day you choose to relax with a few too many wobbly pops and some country music in an old camero or a glass of lemonade and a good book in your bedroom that is a lifestyle choice.
news2me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Jeff Foxworthy on "Rednecks"
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
As someone born deep in the South, redneck is only a mildly derogatory term meaning someone who tends to do just enough to get by, and nothing more.

Though I thought it was in poor taste, I also wondered about that big round hole. I think Spartans still somewhat maintained something like a monocoque design. I wonder if the lack of structure in that big hole would break that trailer on a big bounce down the highway.
Born, raised, educated and have lived in the deep south most of my 74 years. The term "redneck" I believe came into being during reconstruction following the War Between the States. There were so many displaced families in the south and for many of these, the only way to make a living was tenant farming. Such farmers were mostly uneducated white men and some black men with families. The white farmers were notably sunburned with red necks which earned them the name. Black farmers for the most part were exempt from the term. Because the white farmers were often uneducated, the term gradually became descriptive of their ignorance of academics as well as their appearance which was often ragged because of their home made clothing. Though the term was probably often meant to be derogatory, these folks were notably proud Christian people who wore the label somewhat proudly because it meant they were taking care of their families by hard work and honesty in their dealings.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #29
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
Though the term was probably often meant to be derogatory, these folks were notably proud Christian people who wore the label somewhat proudly because it meant they were taking care of their families by hard work and honesty in their dealings.
Sorry for my thread hijack.

Then by your own definition, it's about time Americans put a "Red Neck" into the White House but unfortunately I'm not sure any of the candidates for President meet that criteria as most are very priviledged and have hidden agenda's/IOU's to pay off. Oh they throw bible verses out there to draw in the Christian right, but would be the first to light a campfire with it if it turned cold.

By your own criteria the only redneck President I know of, which by I have allways respected for his honesty, is Jimmy Carter. It was unfortunate that events out of his control lead to his demise. He is, and will allways be a very good and decent man.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
"By your own criteria the only redneck President I know of, which by I have allways respected for his honesty, is Jimmy Carter. It was unfortunate that events out of his control lead to his demise. He is, and will allways be a very good and decent man."

I totally agree
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote