Old 09-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I believe the older drip caps were made of 1100 series aluminum. I did away with the old ones a made some that suite my eye out of 3003 h14. I can send pics of the fabrication progression to those interested.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Craig - those look great. If you're not careful, you may start getting orders.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T
I believe the older drip caps were made of 1100 series aluminum. I did away with the old ones a made some that suite my eye out of 3003 h14. I can send pics of the fabrication progression to those interested.
Craig,

Looks great, can you make old 1950's Hehr window frames also?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the compliments. Sorry about the typo..suit. They take a considerable amount of time to fabricate, especially when you factor in the learning curve with the new tools. There are some very good metal shaping sites with all the info needed to get started.

I believe the Hehr window frames are 1100 also as they braze very easily (PO screwed most of the windows shut for storage and the holes need to be filled and finished). They would be a pretty straight forward build with a suitable box brake.

The drip caps are a lot more touchy feely. After the major shaping and planishing is completed they need to be formed to match the curvature of the trailer over the windows. These caps are 4" not including the flange. Fitting the curve of the trailer at each end of the cap can be a great test of patience for a beginner like myself.

All that said, I really like the the clean look of the Bowlus trailers!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Nice craftsmanship on the caps, Craig....beats the heck out of that "new" cap Greg was showing us in his post....I wish I were half as talented with metal as you two are.

Frederic
Old 09-03-2005, 06:44 AM   #20
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
hey craig, i would love to see the fabrication process you used for your drip caps. i'm restoring our '59 18 footer as well, and if everything goes smoothly, i'll be tackling those in a few weeks.

did you mess with the main drip cap over the door? mine's a little dented, but i think i can reshape it. i am tempted to make it out of something more sturdy. i guess it all depends on how many pieces of aluminum i have left over after the skin replacement.

most of my window drip caps are cracked, though so i will have to fabricate something there.

got any other pics of your trailer?

jordan

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:51 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

The drip caps were/are being done on my '57 El Rey. The '58 Traveler is pretty much done, but I would like to make a new cap for the door too. I'm pretty sure you can still locate original looking drip caps for the windows. Rob on the Vintage Vacations forum has directed people to a source.

I chimed in once the thread mentioned fabricating. Email me and we can talk about the Traveler door cap and drip cap fab stuff.

Craig@thehelix.com
Old 06-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can

hey craig, i would love to see the fabrication process you used for your drip caps. i'm restoring our '59 18 footer as well, and if everything goes smoothly, i'll be tackling those in a few weeks.

did you mess with the main drip cap over the door? mine's a little dented, but i think i can reshape it. i am tempted to make it out of something more sturdy. i guess it all depends on how many pieces of aluminum i have left over after the skin replacement.

most of my window drip caps are cracked, though so i will have to fabricate something there.

got any other pics of your trailer?

jordan
Craig,

I too need to fab a new door drip cap. Can you show the photos of your process with some dialog? Thanks in advance.

JT ( 54 Breadloaf )
Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

If your door drip cap is similar to our '58, then it will be relatively
straight forward because there will be no compound curves. You basically
make a cardboard template that fits how/where you want it on the trailer. Leave ample clearance for the door opening because this will change depending on how you trailer is leveled at various camp sites. The bent up flange that rivets to the trailer will need to be slit in a few spots allowing it to curve over the door way the way you want the aluminum piece to fit. Once happy with the fit, lay the template out flat on a sheet of 3000 series (.032") aluminum and cut out. Bend the flange, the use a shrinker/stretcher to stretch the flange to curve the drip cap. Use plenty of blue masking tape on your trailer to protect during the fit/stretch/fit/stretch and repeat phase. When satisfied with the fit, add bevel to the flange, then sand and polish out the stretching marks along with the rest of the drip cap.

Here is a version of the shrinker and stretcher. I bought mine from Eastwood.

Metal Shrinker/Stretcher Set

Craig
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Quote:
If your door drip cap is similar to our '58, then it will be relatively
straight forward because there will be no compound curves. You basically
make a cardboard template that fits how/where you want it on the trailer. Leave ample clearance for the door opening because this will change depending on how you trailer is leveled at various camp sites. The bent up flange that rivets to the trailer will need to be slit in a few spots allowing it to curve over the door way the way you want the aluminum piece to fit. Once happy with the fit, lay the template out flat on a sheet of 3000 series (.032") aluminum and cut out. Bend the flange, the use a shrinker/stretcher to stretch the flange to curve the drip cap. Use plenty of blue masking tape on your trailer to protect during the fit/stretch/fit/stretch and repeat phase. When satisfied with the fit, add bevel to the flange, then sand and polish out the stretching marks along with the rest of the drip cap.

Here is a version of the shrinker and stretcher. I bought mine from Eastwood.

Metal Shrinker/Stretcher Set

Craig
Thanks Craig,

Sounds like another excuse to buy some more cool tools! It seem like getting the bend to look right on the tip of the eyebrow might be the trickiest part of the process. I'll give it a try.

JT