Old 07-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Alright, first your work efficiency, then your indoor shop, now a picture of a shiny, fine trailer actually in the woods - you're killing me!

Seriously, congrats on getting to that stage - hope it is a great trip. I hope I'm not too far behind you.

Re the pic of the bumper, did you add any length to the frame rails at the rear when you welded your repairs? I don't think I have that much space.

Have fun,
Alan

Old 07-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Ryan,
As I sit here on my porch in NC, 75 degrees, preparing to go out and work on my trailer, I want ytou to know I am one...jealous...SOB!!! Have a GREAT weekend!

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Ok Boys, got her rewired up, insulated and one panel in this weekend...yay!! Want to get a new pigtail before I seal her up completely. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1404693599.225668.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	658.3 KB
ID:	215855Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1404693611.308324.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	692.9 KB
ID:	215856Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1404693622.993438.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	596.5 KB
ID:	215857 and a shot of someone who watches me work.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1404693658.812792.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	603.6 KB
ID:	215858

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 07-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Well thanks and I really wouldn't have been where I'm at without all the help and advice from you guys! I'm sorry to make you guys jealous. It sure was nice spending a few nights in the trailer after so many nights under it!!

Alan, Looking at your first set of posts where the black pipe is coming out, does that terminate into a Valterra fitting or is that 3" ABS? I happened to have a hole saw that cut a perfect hole for the slip end of the Valterra fitting. So I ended up cutting my 3" ABS just short so that when the Valterra slip was installed it stuck out only an inch or two. The clear 90 degree adapter is from Amazon and is a really tight 90 degree. Once the bottom of the bumper trunk is in it will drop out the bottom right at or just inside the angle that will go up to the bumper.

As for my weekend, she towed like a dream and other than my Suburban working a little harder you would have never know she was back there. I wish I would have taken a little more time and plumbed water to the toilet as that would have been a nice convenience. I had one leak where I forgot to tighten the fitting from the kitchen sink to the stop valve (oops!). I was wondering why the pump, which was also new, kept chattering when it was on. At first I thought it was just because I only had about 18" of total water lines.

There was a little pucker factor involved as we had a strange hail storm move through. Sun was shining and you could watch the hail falling out of the sky. Thank God they were soft and splattered on impact. But the size was cause for concern as some were just larger than golf ball! After I got it home last night I have it a good wash and checked things out. It didn't create any new dents and didn't pop out any of the existing dents and scratches either so it was all good.

Dave, your work looks awesome and I like your little visitor. Is the black plastic molded piece under your converter the top of the battery box? I must have a really early '71 model as mine doesn't have the side battery compartment. You are planning on reusing all the bathroom components, aren't you? I'm hoping I can come up with a way to use the tub and linen closet and create the vanity new. Mine was really in rough shape and would require a lot of time to fix it and make it usable.

Cheers!
Ryan

Ms. Streamy - 1971 Overlander Restoration Blog
chilipepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Hey Ryan!
Great looking trailer! I got my 30 amp cable last night and plugged her in. Got juice to AC , and into box, but no lights....hmmm. Turned around and looked at the missing junction box where the polarity light used to be and all those 14/2 wires hanging loose DOOOHH! Well, got a little more work to do on the inlet. I installed it a quarter turn off center so when ten cables plugged in it points to the right slightly. Glad I didn't install those skins yet .

Plumbing this weekend, and then the fixtures. I am so ready to camp.

What did you polish your trailer with, it looks fantastic.

Dave

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 07-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Thanks Dave! Did you cut the old cable when you installed the inlet on the side of your trailer? I did the same and then just bought a new Furrion plug that I could put on the remains of my trailer cord. It gives me about 25 feet or so. I will want to get an extension for sure as some sites just are not very well planned for their power poles.

Your reminder about the polarity light is a good one. Mine is still hanging there. I think on the VAP they talked about removing it completely for some reason or another that escapes me now. Thankfully those lose ends were not touching the skin when you powered things up!

I have been working on the PEX the last couple of nights but not with the same furry I had for the last few weeks. I'm taking a little more relaxed approach and I also have a lot of yard work and 'honey do's' to catch up on as well.

My trailer was polished by the previous owner. I believe he used the Nuvite products and stopped at "C". It has been a few years now and needs to be touched up but it still looks pretty good when it is nice and clean. There are scars and road wear as well as a few dents but it all just give it character! I did throw some other pictures on my blog of it after I cleaned her up. msstreamy.blogspot.com

Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Ryan,

First,thank you for your concern, but my Brother is an electrician who's taught me to never leave bare wires (among other things), I always cap them regardless or what I *know*. For the same reason I carry a tester with me when I am noodling around with electricity. And I've done enough house reno to never trust anything I havent personally wired.

Anyway, I did away with the polarity light, after a conversation with Tim about it his thoughts were that they caused more problems than they are worth. What I was doing tonight was adding adding a junction box puling the four 12/3 wires into it and capping and taping them. SO how do I deal with polarity issues? One of two ways. I bought one of these: 120V Digital AC Volt Meter & Polarity Tester (hope you can see that). It plugs in and is portable. If you are really cheap you can get one of these: GE 3-Wire Receptacle Tester 50542 - Voltage Testers - Amazon.com for $10.00. Either way works, I would have gotten the receptacle tester till the wife asked "what if you forget it?"..... hmm makes sense so I bought the one I'd leave in the trailer. Anyway, I got the juice back in and I feel like I accomplished something. Now on to the plumbing!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (1).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	216079   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (1).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	216080  

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 07-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Dave, it is a great feeling to see it coming back together, isn't it!? Looks good! Well all-in-all I'm glad your safe putting things back together! Are you using the polarity tester by just plugging it in to an outlet in the camper or are you testing the 110 connection at the power pole prior to plugging in?

Although I took the weekend off I'm still working on plumbing as well. I have the hard part under the sink and at the pump done. I have the main lines going to the back of the trailer next and stub things out for the shower and sink. With any luck I'll have the water heater up and running as well. I'm still up in the air on what to use for a city fill and if I want to have it on the side of the trailer or off of the back frame where it was originally.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Hey Ryan!
Yeah it was a Frankenstein moment when I put the juice to it and the lights worked "It LIVES!!! " It LIVES!!!"...I am no plumber but it does seem the best way to llumb is from the sink/pump - back. I am not gonna leave the drains under the sink,instead I will move them to the the back of the trailer. Just makes sense to me. What are you doing for heat? I have a four year old furnace but I want to fabricate something like a 4 " round dryer house to move the air to the back of the trailer, I think the ductwork is overkill.

Anyway , just finished my day job so I am signing off.
Later!
Dave

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Oh, heck. Yes plug it into an outlet in the trailer. Plug the trailer in and check it out.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Thanks again Dave! I've been busy with the 'honey do' list lately so my trailer has been on the back burner or at least until after dark. Boy I see where they get this mistress moniker for ones trailer!

When I did the new water pump and plumbing under the sink I did re-create the drains there. I contemplated keeping it a bit simple there but I had to put in a drain for the fresh tank anyway so I just added the two additional valves. I also added a pump bypass valve that will allow me to re-fill the fresh tank when connected to city water. This will likely not be used much at all as we mostly boondock and if at best we may have a power connection. But I guess you never know!

Like you, I did away with all the ducting that was there and will replace with 4" aluminum dryer venting or something similar. I will run two ducts to the front by the door and especially since that space to the left of the furnace is kind of wasted anyway. I will then run two lines towards the back. One to the bedroom and one to the bathroom. I ended up raising my rear twin beds up about 4 inches to clear the side access hatch fully. This gives me more room over the wheel wells and I will try and tuck the lines there and then out of the way somewhere as they make there way to the rear.

The fun continues!!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Milestone day today: got the bathroom reinstalled and plumbed! Not ashamed to say I did the happy dance around the trailer after that last rivet went in! Bellypan back on, inner skins back in - something downright euphoric about those milestones…

Pics to come…

Next, I want to get the a/c on while my youngest son is home from school, then on to the cabinetry.

You guys may have already thought about this, but there is a good bit of discussion on here against the use of flexible vent of any type, mainly related to airflow, durability, etc. Possibly one of those overcautious/overbuilt issues? I went ahead and put in 4in rigid ducting, one fore, two aft, from the new furnace.

Anyway, hope y'all are having fun,
Alan
Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Lake Minnetonka , Minnesota
Still waiting on these pics, suspense is killing me😜

Old 07-25-2014, 04:23 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Hey Alan,

Sorry it's taken so long to catch up. That dang work thing gets in the way of everything! Sounds like you've done a hell of a lot of work and have the right to do the snoopy dance!

I got the skins in, plumbing up to the kitchen.

I've got a buddy who is ex hvac guy. Says "hey it's hot air, doesn't matter what you use". But like you I am coming to the realization that maybe just putting back the original is better. My duct looks to be 4x8, which I can't find at lowes. Where did you get yours, this weekend is family time so very little will be done but I'll get on it next week after work.

And, yeah.... Where's the pics???

Lucky Dave, Denver NC