Old 06-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
1.Belly pan around the dropped frame rails - I'll try to get some pics of mine, but I (having no metal brake) had the local HVAC shop bend up some 0.032 to match the angles of the dropped section, with a 1" lip fore and aft. I riveted the vulcum-sealed lip to the belly sheet coming back, the edges to the lower frame rails, and the trunk section to the aluminum angle that closes off the forward floor of the trunk. The aft lip screws into the bottom edge of the bumper. (Whew - pictures would be worth a thousand words!)
2. Black tank pipe connection - Mine was very tight; hose clamp is all that's needed.
3. Gray tank mounting - When I got mine tight, I discovered a good bit of side-to-side play that would be increased by the weight of a full tank, so I had to go back and fasten in some foam boards to snug it in. I worried that tightening the straps would risk gradual rubbing into the plastic.
4. Stinky Slinky attachment - Ryan described what I was trying to say: an opening/hatch in the floor of the trunk. But I want the waste hose fitting to come up into the trunk space so no fitting is below the belly pan. Pic is from the owner's manual (and speaks to your spot-on comment re over-engineering, Dave.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunkopening.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	214865  

Old 06-25-2014, 04:49 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Thanks for the explanation Tex! I meant to say that the black tank valve is held in by a four inch hose clamp. My tank is new so it required some heat application and a rubber hammer to get it in there. Than the hose clamp. Then, I filled the sucker with water just to make sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:53 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Hey one thing I meant to ask you guys, do you listen to The Vintage Airstream Podcast? If not, you should. I ask Tim and Colin questions there all the time and it gives me access to two guys who really know their stuff for free!

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 06-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Thanks again guys for the information and keeping up with my questions! I have been feverishly working on my trailer hoping I can get some camping done in July at least! I spent a late night last night cutting some aluminum sheeting to fix some cracks in my wheel wells. I hopefully will have those installed tonight and then with any luck my fittings I had to order for the black tanks will be waiting for me when I get home. If I have a really good night, I'll get the black tank mounted as well! I'm trying to get all this done because tomorrow a friend of mine is coming over to put the new axles on. I want to be able to roll it out of my shop to fill all the tanks and check for leaks prior to putting the belly pan back on.

Boy that first beer on the first outing will taste really good!

Alan, you did a good job explaining the pan under the black tank. It makes sense to me anyway. I think what I wasn't visualizing when I was trying to figure it out in my head was actually using a metal break to get the pan to follow the angle on the front of those little channels. Did you then use separate small pieces for the corners? I guess how much of the pan did you replace in total? I'm actually planning on replacing from the fresh tank all the way to the bumper. My original one was pretty bad and had most of the rivets pulled through even with the oversized head rivets. What a project it evolved into! I was just going to replace the axles and then camp with it this summer but it kind of escalated a bit from there!

Dave, as of about a month ago I successfully listened to all 200+ episodes of the VAP and am now going back through and revisiting some that seem to have particular topics of interest. I've called in on a few occasions and really appreciate their advice! It would be nice if it were actually a live call in show as their answers usually span another round of questions and then you have to either wait two weeks or do more research on it on your own. I now recall the "Dave from Denver" calling in! Mostly because of the Denver not being in Colorado, but I suppose you get that a lot!

Ryan

Ms. Streamy - 1971 Overlander Restoration Blog
chilipepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Look familiar, Alan?

A busy weekend in my shop. Finished axle install and actually pulled it out into the yard to fill the tanks and do a leak test. She passed with flying colors, BTW! I installed all the belly pan sections except for under the black tank and the outer part behind the street side axle to the rear but I need to get MORE aluminum, go figure! Plus I'll need to get it bent to match the profile. Then last night after a very long day on my back drilling and riveting I SAT at the back of the trailer and finished sealing off the rear ala Alan. I had a hole saw for the black fitting so there is less than an 1/8 of an inch there for rodents to get in so I think I'll just add a little Vulkem to it and call it good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-06-29 22.58.08.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	215248  

Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Bravo!!👏great work!!!

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 06-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Yeah... I know Tim and Collin a bit. Both have been invaluable with this project. Colin talks about his bike occasionally, that was the one I traded him for my 72. I called the show this week because I am interested in solar. For me the idea of camping means boondocking!

Dave

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
No funnel plate HURRAY!!!!!!! That is exactly what I did to mine.

Perry
Old 07-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Perry,
How do you empty the black tank? If you're setup like this do you come up through the floor of your bumper trunk? Enlighten me guys. I like where you're going with this!

Thanks
Dave

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have a center bath so all I had to do was run the electrical pig tail out the back.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f476...fun-91686.html

Perry
Old 07-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Dave, I will try and grab a picture of how the dump connector will look coming out through the bottom of the pan. I will be fabricating a hinged panel that will attach to the angle that I used on the bottom of the panel I used to seal off the rear end. It will come back and follow the angle of the pan under the bumper and have two of the little latches like the water heater cover has on it. That is pretty much how mine was originally or at least as I received it.

I have to say if it weren't for the VAP I probably would have not tore my trailer apart as much as I did and certainly not with the confidence that I had going in. So I'm not sure if that is a good review or bad! After listening to all the episodes I really wasn't surprised by anything I found and felt like it wasn't a big deal and could be dealt with in a concise fashion. Everything can be fixed, replaced or redone and with Colin's knowledge and Tim's experiences, there isn't a whole lot that was left uncovered by the show. I did listen to the solar episode with great interest as well as eventually that will be an addition I'll be undertaking! BTW, thanks for your work on Tim's book!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Look familiar, Alan?

A busy weekend in my shop. Finished axle install and actually pulled it out into the yard to fill the tanks and do a leak test. She passed with flying colors, BTW! I installed all the belly pan sections except for under the black tank and the outer part behind the street side axle to the rear but I need to get MORE aluminum, go figure! Plus I'll need to get it bent to match the profile. Then last night after a very long day on my back drilling and riveting I SAT at the back of the trailer and finished sealing off the rear ala Alan. I had a hole saw for the black fitting so there is less than an 1/8 of an inch there for rodents to get in so I think I'll just add a little Vulkem to it and call it good.

Wow - you got more done in a weekend than I've done in a month! Looks beautifully done; I'd love to know how you lined up the waste pipe with the hole in the skin. Keep at it and keep postin'!

Alan
Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
You guys are motivating me to get my but in gear . Chili, I am looking forward to seeing how you do yours. I will probably copy it. I've been running electric and reinstalling the battery box and associated stuff. Now we are waiting for Hurricaine Aurther to get here...

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1404491532.238213.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	827.9 KB
ID:	215641

Thanks guys. I think the key to lining up the waste pipe was a set if young eyes. I enlisted my daughters help to mark it out and then before I attached the flashing to the bottom angle it flexed enough to drill a pilot hole from the back. The photo above shows how the clear Valterra adapter will work.

This is why I've been busting my rump to get her road worthy!!

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1404491329.201338.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	953.9 KB
ID:	215640

Towed it about 250 miles to the black hills for some R&R and a few beers. She is not done by any means but I couldn't wait any longer. Galley has water, we have a temporary 12v setup in place, the propane lines are run and tested, and beds and rear bulkheads are in place...so we are camping.