Old 11-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Raceland , Louisiana
Safely washing and waxing roof

How do you wash and wax your roof safely. I知 54 years old and feel I知 still pretty mobile, I ride motocross often weather permitting, exercise couple times a week, walk and hike with wife. But when I知 on top of that 8 ladder with a long handle brush trying to scrub tree sap for our recent trip I feel very vulnerable. I feel safer on dirt bike jumping a 60 long table top. Washing is bad enough but waxing where you need to lean on roof and stretch out to reach center. Well the ladder feel like it will kick out leaving me sliding down a shiny waxed side. I have got up on the roof but feel it will do some damage over time and will I really feel like climbing up there 5 or 10 years from now. Are you experience the same thing or am I just older than I think.
I知 thinking about make some type of scuffle that would hang from the top of my camper cover. That would cover the waxing and any repairs that may be needed down the road. Again climbing on the roof seems like it would cause early repairs by flexing the top sheets and rivets.
How are you completing this task?
PS, If I fall off a ladder and break something nobody will believe it wasn稚 a dirt bike crash.
slabat

Old 11-08-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I'm the same age as you ,I'm afraid of heights and drive motorcycles, have done skydiving before was scared at first but you loose perception of height so it's a blast , I have washed and waxed my trailer several times , I stand on the top of my 5 foot ladder to wash and wax the trailer with a four foot brush no problem , you can for the center of the roof apply the wax to a applicator and then use a pole to move it around on the roof ,and do the same for removing the wax just put a rag under a brush on a pole as for getting on the roof I tie off the top of the ladder to the antenna base and awing rail,this is just to keep the ladder from kicking out. Oh and if you have to do some repairs on the roof its best to get them done before waxing as the roof is really slippery after waxing!
Don

2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
This is the scaffolding that I use. I just polished the entire Motor Home. I already owned this scaffold so that's what I used. If you have to buy something I would look at a 'Perry' or 'Baker' scaffold. They are 24" wide by 60" long and adjust from 10" to 72" high. You should be able to get one from Lowes or Home Depot for $150 to $250.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0822[1].jpg
Views:	145
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	251805  
Old 11-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Raceland , Louisiana
I checked out the scaffolds on the Lowes website and I must say that the 29” wide scaffold makes a lot more sense than the hanging from the ceiling scaffold I had in mine. I did realize you could get them in a narrower width than the standard 4’ width. They also come on wheels that would make it easy to move around and just lock them before you climb. I will do a little more looking around and see what others sizes are out there before I buy something. If I find some cool I will pass it on.
Thanks for getting me off my sky chair thinking.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
At 64 and less flexible than I used to be I have been on my roof several times. I have a coupe of pieces of plywood cut to span the ribs and spread my weight out. Nervous time is the transition from ladder to top and back again. Once on top I am fine.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I am 52 and very mobile. I use a 6-foot ladder and a telescoping RV brush to clean our Avion. If it needs a better scrubbing, I get on top of the trailer and use a bucket of zip wax and a scrub brush. No problems supporting weight on the Avion.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Colonial Airstream has a video of how to get on and off the roof, and where to walk. Check their website. It's worth the time to watch.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oops... You can't get on the roof????

To minimize slide, throw down some of that "non skid"'for kitchen shelving on the roof lay down your plywood/planking. Using a "little giant" (they are wider at base than "normal" ladders...)... along side, climb till thigh is about even to above the main awning... slowly get momentum and swing closest leg onto roof behind the awning...foot pointed so shin is against roof... Put closest hand on roof behind awning... Move ladder foot closer to Airstream then move torso/weight over your roof leg in one motion, pull other leg up. My sons just raise the ladder so they can get to knee height and hop up... With my 275# stabilizing the ladder.

They applied my new HyTech for coating...check out the thread on the Maintenance/Exterior/roof forum section. That stuff is "non skid"... But not abrasive!!
Link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...of-140125.html
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Wash and wax the roof? I love my Airstreams but I see no reason to wash the roof other than with a hose and maybe a long handle brush while on a step ladder. I can't imagine waxing the roof. Ever. LOL.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have read that waxing the roof will stop the streaking caused by the bleeding of the white paint.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I wash the roof, never wax it. No white streaks ever. When I wash it with a hose end mop, I get a flood of white oxidation off, but it never streaks between washings (maybe 3 times a year).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Here is a good scaffolding source..
Scaffolding & Scaffold Accessories at the Best Possible Price. Scaffold Mart. . They have better than rental stuff...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I agree with IDROBA...but I also read where you have a wife....problem solved! You can hold the ladder and offer helpful critiques as she balances up there, thus allowing you to claim most of the credit. You can also help by pointing out spots she may have missed. She will appreciate that kinda input. Trust me....jon
Old 11-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
I'm 18 years older than the guy who started this. Waxing the roof does prevent the white stuff from coming off the roof and leaving marks on the side of the trailer. I use a 6' ladder and a telescoping handle brush to clean the roof before waxing. When the roof dries I go back up and wax it standing on the top rung of the ladder with my wife pushing against top of the ladder so it doesn't push away from the trailer. The first part of the roof from the edge toward the center can be reached standing on the ladder. The next section up to the center can be reached by placing your belly on the edge of the roof and extending your arms to the center of the roof. After applying the wax I use a power buffer with one hand and remove the wax in the open areas and then with a rag to get the remaining spots.