Old 11-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I cut a 2x12 to approx 3ft length and then covered it in carpet that I use when cleaning and waxing my roof. It spans the visible riveted structural ribs and is easier on the butt to sit on.
I can move from place to place with ease.Do stay away from the end caps though as there is no support.
I place a small piece of duct tape on my entry door gutter so not to scratch,then lean my ladder against it and away we go.I have been up there many times and it works great.
I am 59 years young.....

Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
There is no need to actually get on the roof.

I bought one of those 12 foot folding ladders that I will use in either the 6 foot typical step ladder or the 9 foot or 12 foot lengths leaning against the trailer. When leaning the ladder against the trailer I cushion it with water pipe foam insulation cut to fit the rails on the sides of the ladder and I also place an additional section of 1/2 inch closed foam sleeping pad between the ladder and the aluminum.

I do this on the straight sides of the trailer only - I don't think it is probably healthy for the trailer to do this on the compound curve of the front and rear rear corners.

Been doing this for the life of the trailer and have never had a problem - and have also never felt the need to get up on the roof for any task - cleaning, waxing, caulking, changing the vent, lubricating the aerial, servicing the air conditioner - whatever - there is lots of reach from the ladder.

By the way - I hobble like an old man - in line for my first knee replacement hopefully soon - second one to follow within the next year - this season I waxed the roof twice, removed and replaced caulking on the front vent, TV aerial, and front half of the awning.

Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Safely washing and waxing roof

I feel safer on the roof than going up and down a ladder and moving it all around the trailer.I have replaced my skylights with Maxums and have also done a lot of things that you just can't do on a ladder alone.How do you reach the center of the roof??

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Raceland , Louisiana
With all the good advice and good website there no reason I canít perform all my washing, waxing and repairs safely for years to come. Iíve been on the roof twice just to check out walking on it but didnít care for it. I would do it again if needed using some of the suggested tips but will try not to. I did all roof washing to date on 8í ladder standing on 6í rung but not that comfortable. It can be done safely but I sometime get a little aggressive when working. If I keep camping in my Airstream as long as I plan too I think the scaffold is a good investment for me. Now the search begins for the right one.
PS thanks for all the inspiration commits. 2dabeach you the man!
slabatFB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
I read a lot of ages and stages of decrepitude (I have both), but not weights. I'm planning on doing my fall washing and first waxing (Halbernizing?) in the next couple of weeks, but at 6'6" and 325 lbs, I'm thinking it would definitely be counterproductive to wax and seal a couple of seams while popping half the rivets. Does anyone know of a tech bulletin that has a load limit rating for the roofs of these things?
"Hot meals, cold beer, dry bed & flush toilet - everything I look for in a wilderness experience..."
Adiredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:51 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1963 22' Safari
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Never climb higher than you are comfortable falling!
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Adiredneck, we did our first wash/walbernize last weekend.

We decided that our limit was as far as we could reach from stepladder when it was next to the lil' puppy (our 22 Bambi).

We had zero interest in getting on the roof, or reaching over the top of the ladder in an unsafe manner. RangerJay's approach is what I would suggest if you need to reach in further.

If you feel the need to wash off the roof (we did not) then I would suggest some type of soft mop on a pole to do this from the ladder, with the ladder firmly on the ground and you firmly on the ladder. IMHO there is no real need to go physically onto the roof to wash it.

I view my AS as a tool; it is there to be of use to me.

We also store offsite where there is no water available. We used the griots waterless spray on car wash. That worked really nicely. Then went around again with the walbernizer.

I know of too many people who have fallen doing chores, Christmas lights, etc. I take that as a serious risk that could in effect make it less possible for me to enjoy camping in my future.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:31 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
As an alternative to scaffolding, try doing a Google search on "platform ladders". There are many varieties and, depending on the model, they can blend the convenience of a ladder with the stability of a scaffold. I recently purchased a 4' Werner platform ladder from Lowes for $119 and it is light years ahead of the old ladder that it replaced. Feels much more stable when reaching and it has a very good leaning rail at waist level.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #23
1970 23' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Mequon , Wisconsin
At 70 I'm probably more daring than wise but, I'm very cautious on a ladder. I cleaned the top of ours using a 4 segment 12' folding ladder set with the top 3' section locked at 90deg. (horizontal) and attached a piece of oak flooring, wrapped with a hand towel, across the ends which then rests on the framing ribs (rivet line) which prevents denting the roof. Very stable.

Mr.Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote