Old 06-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Removing REFLECTORS???

Okay...I'm stumped. I'm finally getting around to attempting to polish my '68 Overlander. I have the four round reflectors that are badly dulled on both sides of the A/S. I'd like to replace them with something newer. They are the two round amber and red reflectors that are enclosed in a circle of aluminum. Are they riveted on??? Is there a way to replace these? Once this baby is polished, these are going to stick out like a sore thumb!

Old 06-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Those reflectors are riveted right in the centre. You have to pry them out of the holder, then you can get the rivet.

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Thanks, Doug!

What do you do after you've pryed them out? I'm sure the holder of the reflector will be trashed, won't it? Do they make a replacement holder, or do you just leave them off? (I like the fact they are there, for the visibility part!) Don't want to get run into, don't you know! I think I've got a few replacement ones that just stick on. Is that what some of you have done?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
My .02 - I bought the oval stick on ones to match my oval marker lights. My Caravel never had reflectors. I thought it was a good idea to have them. I put them down low.

Chris
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2havefun
Thanks, Doug!

What do you do after you've pryed them out? I'm sure the holder of the reflector will be trashed, won't it? Do they make a replacement holder, or do you just leave them off? (I like the fact they are there, for the visibility part!) Don't want to get run into, don't you know! I think I've got a few replacement ones that just stick on. Is that what some of you have done?
I pryed very carefully by bending the frame out with a knife just enough to remove the lense, then you can bend the frame back over the lense. This must have been the way they were put on orginally.You can get good stick on reflectors or reflectors with two mounting holes on the frame.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Thumbs up Thanks!

Doug, I am so happy to hear that they can be removed and I might be able to keep the holder! I really didn't want to remove the aluminum holder altogether. Besides... the ones that are in the tail light assembly are the same way, and I was really starting to worry about what to do there, as well! I will just have to be extremely careful, ??? If anyone else has some tips...let them roll!

On another note...I tried some of the Diamond Brite from Lowe's today as was mentioned in the other thread. I love this stuff! Thanks for that info also! WHAT AN AWESOME FORUM!! BTW...the hubby came out and begged to use the compounder for a minute. He had to see how easy it was polishing! Maybe he'll want to try it some more! If not...I'm a happy camper doing all the polishing. I'm the one who had to have this great find anyway. There's just something about aluminum!

Chris, I might add some other oval reflectors like you'd mentioned. Maybe they will cover a couple of incidental scratches if I need them to! You can never have enough reflectors to warn others from hitting your precious A/S you know! Of course, if the polishing goes as good as I think it will...there should be enough of a reflection coming anyone's way!!

Thanks again!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Becky ~

Glad to see you're posting again. I wondered what had happened to you. Also glad to hear you're not shying away from polishing your beauty. You'll have Popeye arms in no time.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Quote:
Becky ~

Glad to see you're posting again. I wondered what had happened to you. Also glad to hear you're not shying away from polishing your beauty. You'll have Popeye arms in no time.

Brad
Good to hear from you, Brad!! I've been reading the forum from time to time, but I'm just now learning how to post again!
Yeah...Popeye won't have anything on me, huh ??? Life's been crazy. I needed some sanity, so I figured the only way to get it, is to work on the A/S! Something theraputic about polishing, isn't there. Besides there's always someone there with you. (This strange REFLECTION of some crazy lady, has been keeping me company! )
Old 06-09-2006, 11:47 PM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
What reflection is that? Seems you may need to post a pic or two of your progress. I need to get some work done to mine too but its just too darn hot unless I start work at 5 AM.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:43 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Brad, I will have to read up on how to post pics. Probably way out of my league, but I'll try! Polish yes...post pics...I'm not so sure! Any suggestions? I WOULD like to show how this polish is working on my trailer.

I have Nuvite F7 and S. I started compounding with the F7 and wasn't really happy with it. (Of course...I hadn't removed all that darn clearcoat! ) So I'm about done stripping the last bit off and tried the Diamond Brite. I think this route will go much faster, especially with the clearcoat finally removed! I've also got some of the G6 coming. Should be here Monday. (And of course I've had the cyclo sitting in the garage for well over a year now!) Seemed we had rain most of last summer!

(I have to say, I don't envy being where you are now. I guess during the winter when I'm shoveling snow and you're polishing ....well that's another story!)
Old 06-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #11
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Becky ~

Posting a picture is easy once you know the basic steps. In the posting window at the bottom of every thread, you have the option of either "Post Quick Reply" or Go Advanced." If you intend to post a pic, then "Go Advanced." The screen changes to another with your verbal posting at the top with another area where you can "Manage Attachments."

Once you select "Manage Attachments," another window comes up for you to select your pictures by name. Select your picture and then hit upload. This can take awhile so be patient.

That's all there is to it.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 5.png
Views:	75
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	22172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 10.png
Views:	90
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	22173  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
I was hoping to get some advice on exterior side reflectors and this was the nearest post I could find. I just bought an '85 Sovereign last summer. Someone took all four exterior side reflectors off and didn't replace them. Where can I find them? Are they screw mounted or riveted. The holes don't have the same dimensions between the holes.

Thanks.