Old 04-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
Ron and Nancy

1997 25' Safari
Villa Hills , Kentucky
Thumbs down relocate license tag for Fiamma bike rack

Just added 22 lb Fiamma bike rack on rear bumper of our 25' 1997 safari. We've taken her many miles and enjoy several rallies and caravans. Hauling 2 bikes inside unit or on truck bed was always a pain.
The bike rack is sold by airstream at jackson center. I installed today with no problems.
After reading last page of instructions noticed comment about license tag.
With both bikes on the rack, the license plate is partially hidden.
Guess the authorities want to be able to see the lighted license plate
Moving the short piece of lead wire for lighting is a problem,
My questions are:
Does the plate need illumination for night travel?
Can the plate be displayed on the bumper?

Rolo in Kentucky

Old 04-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
In Colorado, the State Patrol will state exactly the regulations that "the license plates must be fastened horizontally, in a manner to prevent swinging, at a height of at least 12 inches from the ground. They must be clearly visible and kept clean and legible. Vehicles must have plates attached to both the front and rear of the vehicle." and this is what they will recite if you call and ask them.

However, considering how many vehicles are out there with rear bike racks, it is obvious that the State Patrol, and local police/sheriff authorities are not enforcing this. The Fiamma rack on the back of an Airstream does not block the license any more or less than any other car out there. All you have to do is take I70 west to Moab and there are hundreds of cars with rear bike racks.

I have two Airstreams, both with Fiamma racks, driven through Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, Canada, and of course, Colorado and have never been questioned.

Those are my thoughts, not to be considered as a legal opinion.....

Old 04-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
Ron and Nancy

1997 25' Safari
Villa Hills , Kentucky
thanks steamy. Colorado or Kentucky its probably the same. With bikes on the rack, the tag is visible. Just depends on DOJ. Thinking to just wing it.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
That would be my recommendation. I would like to use a cover on the bikes, but I do hesitate on doing it, thinking that may be pushing it. Would probably block some of the stop lights, but others do it.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Perhaps making a facsimile of the license plate and placing it in the rear window will show that you recognize that your bikes are blocking the view and you are doing something about it.

Greg
Old 04-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Federal regs REQUIRE a light on the rear license position, even if there is no rear plate. In NY, "Number plates shall not be covered by glass, plastic, or any other material".
Old 04-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
ranchometal

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Mare Island , California
I put a Fiamma rack on our 23D and noticed that not only the license, but the brake/turning lights were obscured. That bothered me both in terms of safety and legality. I went to Harbor Freight and Tools and purchased an inexpensive trailer light kit which includes license plate bracket with light, two brake/turn indicators and some reflectors. I drilled holes in the bike rack tire guides and mounted all these new lights. Ran a wire down to the bottom of the trailer and along up to the front and wired to the wiring bus inside the coach that is the location of the original brake/turn lights. Last I put in a connector near the Fiama that allows me to disconnect the lights when the Fiamma is in the up/unsused position and connect the lights when the rack is in the down/use position. The one last bother is that the license plate needs to be moved to the bike rack when in the down position and on the coach when in the up position. Solution: I almost always leave the rack in the down position and leave the plate on the rack. Oh, be sure to place your bikes on the rack to help determine the location of the lights. Doing the reverse, can lead to having to move the lights later may cause you to have to move the lights. I know from experience.