Old 08-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Propane Regulator Gasket ('72 AS)

Forgive me if this is a much discussed topic, I've searched the forum but was unable to find a result with the info I needed.

While out for the weekend, the gasket in our Fisher dual tank regulator gave up the ghost. Managed a short term repair with some rubber gasket material but suspect that this won't last forever...

I'm having a hard time finding a replacement gasket. Is this available? Is my rubber gasket a reasonable solution? Does propane eat at the stuff?

Sorry, don't know much about this kind of repair!

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
McHenry , Illinois
The gasket material for propane and other hydrocarbon gases is special. I would suggest you google "fisher regulator gasket" and see what you get.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
In general, propane regulators are considered by their manufacturers to be "serviced as a unit," that is, non-repairable. It is for this reason that parts are not available.

In fact, many propane dealers will not, as a matter of policy, reinstall a used regulator -- on safety grounds -- even if it is working. Eventually the diaphragm fails leading to leakage, even if the gasket is sound.

In other than a museum-quality restoration where appearance is paramount it is my view that the regulator should be replaced.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Thanks for the Google tip - tried but failedover the weekend to find what I needed.

Thanks for the second response as well, seems a waste but makes some sense in a litigious society!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox500 View Post
Thanks for the Google tip - tried but failedover the weekend to find what I needed.

Thanks for the second response as well, seems a waste but makes some sense in a litigious society!
My former neighbor, was a sales manager for Fischer.

They "NEVER" sold repair parts due to liability.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote