Old 03-18-2004, 03:19 PM   #29
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
I remember that guy, he caused a minor stir on the forum a while back. Who could for get his bumper-mounted generator on that other trailer he has for sale.
And it's still available even though the price has been slashed to just $15k. Better hurry!

Rog

Old 03-18-2004, 06:48 PM   #30
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by bredlo
Right here!

They want a grand for it. Looks like they're in Fort Worth, TX. I'm not affiliated, I was just surfing this morning and found it.
If that had been a SOB, the roof would be on the floor. They go up in a flash-literally.
Terry

Old 03-18-2004, 11:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
So what you are all saying, is that we need to lay our worries aside, and know that we are towing the safest of trailers???
Old 03-18-2004, 11:19 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I guess what I'm taking away from this is that safe driving in safe road conditions will prove the biggest protection against dragging your trailer down the highway on it's air conditioner.

And also that - given a choice - if you have to flip a trailer, an Airstream is the one you'd want to flip... it seems to have the best chance at coming back from the dead.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:22 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

any airstream salvage yards in tx? preferably east tx
Old 06-09-2004, 09:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
What a SAD deal!

We are one year in to AS ownership, and have friends that have had several other SOBS, with accidents that totalled.

Our unit pulls effortlessly and doesn't sway. Speed is an indicator, too!
Old 06-11-2004, 11:26 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
How very "sad" and unnecessary.

Two out of every three in those photo's should not be there.

Back in 1970, Caravanner Insurance, the old insurance division of Airstream, proved that "two out of of three" rollover accidents "ARE" caused by improper modifications to the tow vehicle or improper hitch or hitch setup.

It was proved hundreds of times, over a four year period.

Yet the problem continues.

Seems to me, that we lack proper education in this area, or, we have too many people that just don't care to investigate into the correct hook up procedures or methods.

Maybe one of us should write a book.

Andy
Old 06-11-2004, 11:36 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Seems to me, that we lack proper education in this area, or, we have too many people that just don't care to investigate into the correct hook up procedures or methods.

Maybe one of us should write a book.

Andy
No kidding, Andy. When we were looking to buy our A/S I investigated the hitch setup I would need with my '97 Expedition. I looked online, I read the Ford Towing guide, I read forums. We live in Michigan where "everyone" has a hitch, a boat, a camper, a snowmobile trailer and a toy trailer. I asked several friends, one said "Get the WD and sway control", another said just sway control, and the Ford guide said I didn't need WD. A dealer I called told be I needed a $700 setup. The dealer I bought the Safari from didn't blink an eye when I hooked it up without either and drove off. So, I'm still confused and there is not one definitive voice out there that is impartial and knowledgable on what setup to use. A book would REALLY be appreciated, and with the popularity of RV'ing these days, probably a best seller.

John
Old 06-11-2004, 11:43 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
definative answer

you only need Sway control and WD if you want to live to camp another weekend.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:58 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFighter
you only need Sway control and WD if you want to live to camp another weekend.
OK, but given what? Size of trailer, vehicle, etc.? Ford says that it's not needed below 5000 lbs, which we will be. Do I believe you or them? I usually apply better safe than sorry, but what is the criteria for these devices? No one has given me definitive information for me to make a decision for my self.

John
Old 06-11-2004, 12:07 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
definative answer

I agree in michigan everyone has a trailer or two or three, i have a car hauler and have had several boats and snowmobile trailers. i have pulled all of these without WD or Sway because they do not have a side profile to catch wind from passing semis or open fields. all i can offer is to pull with WD and sway control and then without then decide which way you would prefer to load your family in the car on an interstate with construction every 20 miles for 20 miles. a brand new WD with Sway control like a Stright line will run you $500 it is all about piece of mind. these are only my opionions, the other is that your Tow vehicle has a fairly short wheel base making sway control an even bigger benefit. i used to pull with a 4 door tahoe.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:26 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
AYRSTRM2

The selling dealer is "SUPPOSED" to educate the trailer buyer.

ANY, Airstream trailer, ever built, should be towed with some form of a load equalizing hitch.

THAT, is a proven fact.

Who proved that?

The laws of Physics.

Yet we have those that disagree, including manufacturers of tow vehicles.

Adding "ANY" weight to the back end of any common type tow vehicle, "WILL" reduced the weight from the front axle of that tow vehicle.

That is true if you simply load up the trunk with weight, and not even tow a trailer.

But, when several hundred pounds of weight is added to the ball, the rear end of the tow vehicle is supposed to drop. It is then picked up with a "load equalizing or weight distributing hitch."

When the fulcrum or rear axle suspension of the tow vehicle is beefed up with overloads or heavy duty springs, it's real effect is that it "DEFEATS" the purpose of the hitch.

First, it will not allow the rear end to appreciably drop, therefore there is little to no weight for the hitch to pick up. That simply means that you have added the tongue weight of the trailer to the rear axle of the tow vehicle, "AND" you have transferred even more weight from the front axle, back to the rear axle.

"ANY" truck scale will confirm that.

Simply saying my rig tows great and I don't have a load equalizing hitch or a sway control, is leaning way way over the edge. A truck scale will prove them wrong, "EVERYTIME."

A "sway control" is added insurance. The longer the trailer, the more insurance a person better have, or else.

What will happen when improperly rigged, is guaranteed trouble. When, is unpredicatable.

Opinions are just that.

Physics is "law."

We will be writing from time to time, articles that will be published in the new Airstream Life Magazine. Perhaps the publisher would allow such an article in a future issue.

I will make another post accordingly.

I can tell you that in the September issue, there will be an article on "towing tips", but it will not be comprehensive in detail.

In the mean time, I would strongly urge everyone to subscribe to that Publication.

I believe that magazine will have a great influence on the Airstream owner, such as this site has, but in different ways.

Andy
Old 06-11-2004, 01:40 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
correct my self

i meant Equal I Zer not straight line
Old 06-12-2004, 04:19 PM   #42
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
OK, but given what? Size of trailer, vehicle, etc.? Ford says that it's not needed below 5000 lbs, which we will be. Do I believe you or them? I usually apply better safe than sorry, but what is the criteria for these devices? No one has given me definitive information for me to make a decision for my self.

John
Follow the most restrictive instructions. If one manufacturer says " no" and the other one says "yes", as far as WD and sway reduction/control, go with the sway control. As one of the general rules in another "hobby" I have states "Always follow the safer course of action".
When you get a WD system, have the seller set it up on your rig. Watch them do it, so you know how. Ask questions, take pictures, if you want. Take notes. There probably won't be anyone around at 11 at night for you to ask if you are hooking it up right. I know what I'd tell you to do with it if you called me at that time of night...
I have towed single and tandem axle trailers, both with and without WD and sway control, and the difference IS noticeable. Even the same tandem axle unit, that seemed to pull very well without, pulled a lot better with.
Terry