Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Need Place to do Restoration - Advice Needed

I am at the very stat of the process of getting a trailer to do an airstream renovation. I'm working on gaining skills and doing my research. And I'm not in a hurry. My problem is trying to figure a place to actually do a renovation.

Currently I am an apartment dweller in Los Angeles. When the time comes to buy a trailer and start renovating I'm not sure where I can house it.
I'm looking for advice on locations where I could store the trailer and work on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I've thought about getting a regular RV storage spot and trying to work on it there but I'm not sure if a storage facility would frown on that.
Same with housing it at a motor home park.
I'm also researching industrial spaces (part of a warehouse or outdoor industrial lot)
Does anyone have other suggestions? Advice?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated
philmoto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Hi and welcome to the forums.

First question is, do you want a trailer to camp in, or a project to work on?

If you decide you want a trailer to camp in, then you could probably park it at a storage lot and do a few little fix-up projects without getting on anyone's nerves. If you want a major project, start out by getting good and educated about the scope of the renovation you are willing to perform. If you need to do a shell-off rebuild, you are going to need a lot more space than just some interior spruce-up work. Try getting your hands on the back episodes of "The Vintage Airstream Podcast" (The VAP), as they go over most aspects of repair/rebuild of vintage trailers.

I guess my recommendation is that while you look for an Airstream, you should also look for a rental house with a backyard or driveway that you can work in. I have a very small yard, but have managed to do a shell off of a 21' trailer. Depending on how involved your renovation project becomes, you are going to need about half of a garage worth of tools, workbenches, etc..

I work on my trailer nearly every day, and most of both days every weekend. I just hit the two year anniversary of its purchase, and it still has no interior, as I have been working the frame, shell, windows, leaky roof, the awning, etc. (and I really didn't want to do a shell-off when I hunted down this trailer). If I had to put all my tools in my vehicle, drive to a storage lot, and then pack it all up again when done, I probably would take 10 years to finish this project.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote