Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

1976 25' Tradewind
Münster , NRW
Mystery thing on the roof of my 1976 25 ft

Hi there, I'm a new proud owner of an 1976 25 ft Landyacht, just shipped from Baltimore to Germany.
Starting my renovation now I found 4 metal oval shaped "devices" going out of the roof and not been covered by anything, probably holding plastic tubes.
I'm wondering, if this tubes are connected with the inside of the trailer and may lead (rain)water into the vehicle.
Does anybody knows what they are good for and what I have to do with them? Covering? ...Please find two of them visible on the right roof side of my trailer.
Thanks for any hint
Christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Can you post a picture. Could it be the black and grey vents.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Can you post a picture. Could it be the black and grey vents.
I agree, these are drain plumbing/tank vents and any rain going into them will do no harm
Be sure the sealant is good around the outside of the pipes
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Hi Christoff,

These sound like the vents for the water waste pipes, my 73 overlander had 2 which were conected to the black plastic pipes, i removed mine and sealed the holes with some aluminum discs i cut and then put them back in place.
i am in UK but if i can help in any way do not hesitate to message me,

Cheers
Tim
ps i have the full workshop manual for my Airstream which may also cover your tradwind, it has full exploded diagrams for chassis, and much more so i can scan and email if you need any
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello Christoff:

You have described your plumbing vents accurately.
1. Kitchen sink vent
2. Bathroom sink vent
3 Toilet vent
4. Shower & Tub vent

Originally these vents contained a screen to prevent insects from entering. Yes, the vents contain plastic pipe allowing air to enter. If they get plugged your sinks may not drain or drain slowly.

The small amount of rain or wash water that enters these pipes causes no problems. It only descends through the pipe and out with the normal sink water.

The metal shaped devices on the roof that you described were originally fastened with a gasket, sealer & screws. Over time the gasket & sealer will deteriorate and then rain water can get in which runs down the exterior of the vent pipe and cause water damage to the interior of your trailer. I climb on a ladder once a year to inspect items that are fastened to the roof. It's just a part of normal maintenance.

Have fun with your new toy! -- Don
helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Hi Christoff,
Forgot to say, the reason i sealed mine was because i have completely gutted my Ovelander and replaced all water and waste pipes.
Tim
Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #7

1976 25' Tradewind
Münster , NRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Hi Christoff,

These sound like the vents for the water waste pipes, my 73 overlander had 2 which were conected to the black plastic pipes, i removed mine and sealed the holes with some aluminum discs i cut and then put them back in place.
i am in UK but if i can help in any way do not hesitate to message me,

Cheers
Tim
ps i have the full workshop manual for my Airstream which may also cover your tradwind, it has full exploded diagrams for chassis, and much more so i can scan and email if you need any
Thanks Tim,
helpful answer!
The manual you mentioned is quite interesting for me, since we will start the rebuilding from the interior and reshape the inside anyway. Right now I have the bathroom in the back, but I would like to replace it with a bedroom.
If possible sent me the scanned manual. Would be helpful
Cheers, Christoff
Christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
Thanks Tim,
helpful answer!
The manual you mentioned is quite interesting for me, since we will start the rebuilding from the interior and reshape the inside anyway. Right now I have the bathroom in the back, but I would like to replace it with a bedroom.
If possible sent me the scanned manual. Would be helpful
Cheers, Christoff
Hi Christoff,
more than happy to send relevant pages, the manual is over 300 pages so scanning the whole thing would take a bit too long.
i'll scan the index pages and send to you so you can decide which you will need.
let me have your email address
cheers
Tim