Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
My 2K front window. A painful lesson.

This is almost unbelievable and it happened to me. I took my 58 FC out to my uncles property as he offered to allow me to use his very large garage to lift the shell off the trailer frame. I have a sloped driveway making it impossible to do, so naturally I jumped at the chance.

I arrive in the evening thinking I will drop it off and then lift the shell after work the following days.

My uncle and his buddy show up with a few drinks down and one in hand to help push it into the garage. His buddy decides that the front window is where he would like to place his hand and push, yes its 40+ year old glass and no its not tempered, and yes his hand goes right through the window. The glass shoots up his arm about 5 inches. It was awful.

I hear he is fine, had to go to the E.R. and get stitches as well as a comprehensive exam. Naturally he enjoys smoking pot so he cant pass a drug test and get a job, therefore he has no medical insurance, leaving me with the bill.

So now I am left with a 2000.00 front window.

My question is does this add to the value of the trailer?

If you have old windows and are restoring your trailer, I would advise replacing them with safety glass right away. You never know who will walk up offering to help, and what kind of brain-cells they may or may not posses.

I also enrolled in a umbrella policy today that will cover such events and only costs me 300.00 a year.

Live and learn, sucks to be me.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Dude. All I can say is, you are a very nice guy to offer to pay for his ignorance and lack of responsibility. I think I may have handled that differently. You are the better man. Good Karma will undoubtedly come your way.
Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Windcrest , Texas
I'm wondering how this became your responsibility?
Silver Dolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
fair oaks , California
Matt:

As I have said more than once you are too nice.

For those in the airstream community. I met Matt during the summer at an RV park in Fort Bragg, CA. It was my first outing in my newly purchased AS and there was a lot I didn't know but Matt was willing to come over and patiently answer all my questions. As it turned out Matt lived near me and offered to come over and help me wire and hook up a television. Since then he has also offered to help me hook up a fantastic fan.

Matt, Im a big believer in Karma and good things are surely coming your way. Its good to know that there are good people out there such as yourself.
dmcinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
many hospitals will negotiate the price of the bill if there is no insurance.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mesa , Arizona
I'm no insurance expert, but what about your uncles homeowners policy?
WRDinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Person County , North Carolina
I'm sure you're a real nice guy. That is a bummer about the glass.

Explain to me again why you're responsible for this stoner's hospital bill.

Whose going to pay when he burns himself by touching a hot stove or loses a digit by sticking his hand into a shredder?

I'll bet this guy is why the instructions that come with irons specify that you shouldn't iron your clothes while wearing them.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
I'll bet this guy is why the instructions that come with irons specify that you shouldn't iron your clothes while wearing them.
What? You mean your not supposed to? Where is your sense of adventure?

J/K
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I didn't say I offered to pay the bill, but it was quickly indicated that I will be soon.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Whilst I agree with the tack that you should not have been responsible, and should not have paid, I think you did the right thing.
Attorneys would have a lot of fun with this one, and just defending yourself would have cost much more, let alone if you had lost!
Pay the bill, enjoy the good Karma and write it off as a little bit of bad luck.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Man.

Sorry to hear of your situation. Good idea for all of us to have some sort of umbrella; note that if you had had one, the insurance co would likely have gone to your uncle's homeowners for them to participate. Also check with your auto insurance medical liability payments section - maybe there is some hope there.

Also, your homeowners may have something for you.

Also, talk to your friendly lawyer just so you can know your choices. You can always pay the bill (and walk away with your sanity, I guess) but it might be nice to know what you are actually liable for.

Good luck. Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Matt,
I was thinking about your situation. What is your Uncles position? Does he support you or does he support his pot smoking "friend"? If your Uncle does not support you. It may be wise to find a better spot to work on the trailer. It could cost much more down the road. Sorry to cast such negative vibes. Be safe.
Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
As my mother in law used to always say you can pick your friends but you cant pick your relatives. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Garage Cost

If it takes you 3 months to redo the trailer, the cost is reasonable. If you had to rent a shop it would be a lot more.
By keeping everybody happy, you will still have help when you need it on your project.
I think you did the right thing.

And YES. it does add to the RV ownership EQUITY. Talk to a good accountant to see how you can amortize that.
It all makes a good story to tell at the CG.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
The "victim" and his wife and I think they have kids are good friends with my uncle. I will say this, he will be the first person to walk up to you, shake your hand and introduce himself. Very friendly and nice. I think this whole thing was misfortunate and a simple case of having too much to drink, and lack of thinking things thru.

I feel really lucky in that I have not seen a single drop in business through this whole downturned economy. I'm in a position to take care of his mistake, but I think it goes without much saying that there are a million other things I could use that money for on the trailer.

Thank you for all your thoughts and advice. I'm sure I will look back and laugh someday. Certainly not anytime soon, but someday.

Oh and Massyfarm, if the trailer only takes 3 months to redo, I will pay his medical bills, offer him a job, and pay for medical insurance.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'd like to have you for a neighbor and friend, Mattkroff. Happy trails.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
You'll get something back for this in the future matt

well that's quite a story matt--good luck on the rebuilding and maintaining a friendship too. your frame looks good. I look forward to watching what you do with the rebuild--cool. have a great week --ted

acts of kindness and integrity always seen to pay off later. keep your eyes open and tell us when it happens.
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote