Old 10-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1986 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Main Door

I have searched the site and have posted a thread about my door on my 26' Sovereign (1986). I found nothing and received no replies. So, undaunted, I began experimenting. (with and under the direction of a mechanical genius who is a friend of mine) Here is what we found so that there is a post on the site, as I can't imagine I'm the only one with these problems.

I had gone to the coast, the trailer was coated with salt. My door began squeaking loudly (I mean heard a block away) and was not swinging well. At the outset I was certain the frame had shifted and the hinge was in a bind. So we hammered at the hinge-outward towards the back of the trailer. The door did have more even clearances on the jambs, but the squeak persisted.

Looking at the hinges themselves, there seems no way to take them apart, I am still guessing they simply come with the door as a unit. I did not take apart the door and that might have revealed a method to separate them from the door. I did try to take the door off the trailer with the hinges but the screws were not budging.

Finally we drilled holes in the hinges, just enough to get through the outer shell, and injected some penetrating oil, and the squeak began to lessen. Coupled then with WD-40 and getting my exercise opening and closing the door, it almost stopped squeaking.

My theory is the salt air and spray form the ocean got inside of the hinges and simply seized them. Drilling the holes and re-introducing lubricant seems to have solved the issue.
frscott is offline   Reply With Quote