Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
White City , Saskatchewan
LINE-X Ultra on Exterior

Hello,

I’m new to the forum. My wife and I are experienced RV owners. We’ve owned box style campers with fibreglass construction. We are considering purchasing an Airstream but are concerned about future hail damage and leaks. In the areas of Canada we travel, we are frequently caught in sudden and severe hail storms.

I’ve been researching LINE-X Ultra http://www.linex.com/ultra which seems to address both leak and damage concerns.

Has anyone else considered or used this product on an Airstream? It seems like a no brainer if you can live with the trailer looking like an Argosy. Good idea or Airstream heresy?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Ben
Old 02-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have seen bed spray used as segment protector on older units with pitted front panels, but the idea of spraying the entire trailer is something I would never dream of doing. Hail can be fixed with good insurance.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I may do this to my truck one day, the whole thing. Perhaps I’d do it to the lower front as the above poster said, but that would be about it.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I'm not sure I'd do it, but I can certainly see the appeal for protection. I wonder how difficult and expensive repairs would be if you had to do something like replace a vent or air conditioner?
Old 02-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
Bet it weighs a lot.
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
My 2 cents, it works good for the roof. I used another manufacture two part epoxy roof coating for ours (Polyurea type of coatings are better than the lower cost Elastomeric types).

The coasting put an end to over a dozen leaks. We covered all of the upper seams and brought it down to the front and back windows. I prefer to do my own work, your suggested brand looks like you will need to pay to have it installed.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
I'm not sure I'd do it, but I can certainly see the appeal for protection. I wonder how difficult and expensive repairs would be if you had to do something like replace a vent or air conditioner?
That would definitely complicate the repair as the line-x would need to be cut and repaired. This was one my my concerns.
Villainball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drairstream View Post
Bet it weighs a lot.
Roughly 250 to 300 lbs.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I have seen bed spray used as segment protector on older units with pitted front panels, but the idea of spraying the entire trailer is something I would never dream of doing. Hail can be fixed with good insurance.
I am also considering just relying on good insurance. One concern I have is that the nearest dealer for panel repairs is 8 hours away. I think it’s highly likely the trailer would need panel repair/replacement every year or two.

Of note, this product isn’t a Berliner, but is deigned for vehicular exteriors. That being said, I much prefer the look of airstreams as they are, maybe I’m just overly worried.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
I've thought about having the underside of the trailer Line-X'd. It seems it would not only protect but add an Rvalue.
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I think the factory re-skins the roof for hail damage repairs. I have no idea what they would do for a second or third repair...remove the second skin...keep adding armor?

I would learn more about how these repairs are accomplished. I'll bet someone on this thread knows.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
To me, common sense heresy. If you buy an older, already-dinged trailer, don't worry about it. If you buy a nice trailer and cover it with Line X, you have effectively trashed it for resale purposes.

Maybe on the center roof area, where they are now coated from the factory, would be OK, but beyond that, I can't see any benefit.

Either way, I hope you find a good one and enjoy it immensely!
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjumper View Post
To me, common sense heresy. If you buy an older, already-dinged trailer, don't worry about it. If you buy a nice trailer and cover it with Line X, you have effectively trashed it for resale purposes.

Maybe on the center roof area, where they are now coated from the factory, would be OK, but beyond that, I can't see any benefit.

Either way, I hope you find a good one and enjoy it immensely!
I’ve had a few RVs now, so I have a pretty clear idea of what my needs are, so
my hope is to keep this trailer for many years. That being said,if I HAD to sell it, I thought I may loose money on the line-x application cost. However, I didn’t consider that it may devalue the trailer, that is a VERY good point. I really like the look of the new line-ultra, but I might be the minority.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Villianball what does new line ultra refer to?

I am looking to buy a new AS this year, and have been thinking about the shortcomings of the AS. I was on Youtube and a rep from Colonial RV in NJ talking about how to walk on the roof of an AS (basically stating that you put your feet where the rivets are because that is where the ribs are, but I digress). At one point he stated that the roof of the AS is painted white because it results in a 7 degree temperature difference compared to the bare aluminum.

This might have a serious impact on inside temps when in the western desert in the summer.

Having an all white AS might have a substantial benefit. So...if it helps keep the interior cool... and helps with leaks... might it not be a reasonable thing to do, even to a new AS?

Maybe a polyurethane paint, not Line x or Rhino, that is.

I bought My 2013 Casita (first and only RV) to see if we liked trailering, and with the intention of selling it. I don't intend on selling the AS. When I die I will bequeath it to my boys. And yes, they will most likely sell it, probably while my breath is still fogging up the mirror....
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hi Rzrbrn,

Line-X Ultra is a newer product that is being used for the exteriors of vehicles. I personally think it looks great. It is supposed to be scratch and dent resistant like the bed liner. I have the old school bed liner which has held up to abuse for 10 years and owes me nothing.

Here is a link to the product. http://www.linex.com/ultra

They state*
LINE-X ULTRA is a thin build, spray-on coating that looks great and protects virtually any part of your car, truck, Jeep or SUV. LINE-X ULTRA is an ideal custom coating for rocker panels, fender flares, Jeeps, complete exteriors (LINE-X Body Armour) and other automotive uses.*

I haven't decided on colour, but this blue is fantastic. However, I agree white (at least on the top half) would make more sense.
Click image for larger version

Name:	469123_f4bea90fcf344fe68ec7cc198b4cbd64.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	304546

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	304547

Here is a video on the product with some demonstrations on strength.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
St. Catharines , Ontario
I never thought of this, but it seems like it might work. I think I'll look into it for the white roof section.
ktmkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Schoharie , Unknown
Might not want to buy an AS for your travels as they don't seem to fare well in hail. Trying to cover one with a "coating" to maybe protect it would surely diminish it's value and probably look stupid. Have to also wonder how many times an insurance company would repair damage to the same trailer before totaling it. Then you would have a trailer with a salvage title that you would be repairing over and over, out of pocket... doesn't seem to make much sense, but it's your money!! Good luck and travel safe... : )
EZTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Since we have been in a least one hail storm every time we go west for a few months, it is a concern. But, but, but...I still would like an Airstream. I also like the two tone idea, will have to think about it a bit more. Wife prefers the clear aluminum of the traditional AS: so color may be moot.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
The aluminum on my '73 27' below the belt line is umnn very 'antiqued' as presented now:

Back in 1976 Joe Somewhen went heavy with Bicentennial decals, then Joe Somewhen Jr. took paint stripper to remove them that duly ate the clearcoat and reacted with the aluminum leaving 400grit sandpaper aluminum oxide texture across the front and corners of the end cap beneath the belt line, plus liberal scratches and gouges and dents...

It's either replace the non-compound curve sheets or do a bed liner treatment, maybe cut-off a dark grey at an angle to terminate at entrance door - or even carry it back and 45° taper off just before the rear endcap.

I don't know, maybe stuff the liner with those micro hollow ceramic spheres and call it insulation too. I know I would feel better booming down two-track lanes on rual properties or BLM land with the liner coat on it...
Old 02-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Florida , Florida
Do what you want, sounds like it will do exactly what you need it to do. i'd would go with white for the roof.

Would also give you long term protection from leaks. Don't see how that would decrease resale value.
SpitFireRX is offline   Reply With Quote