Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
License plate mounting

I have one gripe about my new trailer. The license plate mount. Can someone tell me why, on a $55K trailer they put such a cheeseball license plate bracket? How do the rest of you have your plates mounted? Where did you get the better bracket if there is one. I am thinking of having a machine shop machine one out of a piece of billet aluminum just so the trailer doesn't look so bad with the flimsy thing that is there.
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I agree; it is a little ceesey. I have mounted a 1.5" aluminum strip behind the tag extending out about 6" on each side of the tag. On one side I have mounted a plastic plate with a Good Sam logo and Hensley logo on it. On the other side, I have mounted a vintage metal Florida AAA badge. It is a low budget fix that looks pretty classy.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Just wait

You think it is cheesy now, wait until the chrome license plate light housing starts to rust in about 2 months. Not to worry, Airstream will replace it with another cheesy assembly at no cost. I think they know it's a piece of crap.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
gee what a shame the one on my 86 looks nice. probably American made.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
twist...turn... replace.. break.. ouch...

not only will they replace that cheesy rusting license plate holder they will replace every running light because the screws are not even stainless which in turn causes the assembly to rust. They will also replace the patio light.. Which will pit and rust.. Because it is cast iron with a bad chrome job.. So there you go.. my local dealer (which I didn't even purchase from) just loves me.. haaah...bottom line... Airstream’s structural integrity.. is second to none.. fit and finish.. sucks..Not unlike most other rvs... in the end, I still love her she is a pretty gal...and everyone that passes smiles when they see her...sometimes even wave...acting like they know her or something...beauty is only skin deep...she is not without flaws, so a little plastic surgery to fix a few blemishes...a little lipo...a lot of exercise by taking long road trips should make her perfect… even to my critical eye.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Yes yes yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
not only will they replace that cheesy rusting license plate holder they will replace every running light because the screws are not even stainless which in turn causes the assembly to rust. They will also replace the patio light.. Which will pit and rust.. Because it is cast iron with a bad chrome job.. So there you go.. my local dealer (which I didn't even purchase from) just loves me.. haaah...bottom line... Airstream’s structural integrity.. is second to none.. fit and finish.. sucks..Not unlike most other rvs... in the end, I still love her she is a pretty gal...and everyone that passes smiles when they see her...sometimes even wave...acting like they know her or something...beauty is only skin deep...she is not without flaws, so a little plastic surgery to fix a few blemishes...a little lipo...a lot of exercise by taking long road trips should make her perfect… even to my critical eye.
You nailed it....

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
I have one gripe about my new trailer. The license plate mount. Can someone tell me why, on a $55K trailer they put such a cheeseball license plate bracket? How do the rest of you have your plates mounted? Where did you get the better bracket if there is one. I am thinking of having a machine shop machine one out of a piece of billet aluminum just so the trailer doesn't look so bad with the flimsy thing that is there.
Did you ever have one made?
Clozzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I know this is a bit old threat but the item remains a current issue. My 2017 has a plastic plate holder and light housing. Ordered a chrome plate holder (the light housing is “chrome plastic” and the rest of the bracket is metal).

The factory assembly was cheaper than I thought. Wish the discontinued metal housing lights didn’t rust so quickly but this is an interim better looking approach. Seems that an polished aluminum house would be easy to make.

Placed the plate in a silicone holder too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	371280

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
I know this is a bit old threat but the item remains a current issue. My 2017 has a plastic plate holder and light housing. Ordered a chrome plate holder (the light housing is “chrome plastic” and the rest of the bracket is metal).

The factory assembly was cheaper than I thought. Wish the discontinued metal housing lights didn’t rust so quickly but this is an interim better looking approach. Seems that an polished aluminum house would be easy to make.

Placed the plate in a silicone holder too.

Attachment 371280

That looks good! Where did you get it, and does it use the same holes as the factory housing? Thanks, Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
where did you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
That looks good! Where did you get it, and does it use the same holes as the factory housing? Thanks, Joe
Thanks, but where did you get it?
2019 Flying Cloud 27FB "Blanch"
Two Dogs in Tow
lsawye01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
$10 on Amazon.

The back plate is black. I spray painted it but it is not going to stay on. Going to have to strip, prime and repaint in the future.

The screw holes align perfectly. There is a black foam gasket from the original I reused. Cut it down to fit this holder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	371349

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote