Old 09-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I get a dent in mine right over the right side axle at the roof.When the sunn beats on it I hear poping then in the eve when the sun goes down popping again and dent gone

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I get a dent in mine right over the right side axle at the roof.When the sunn beats on it I hear poping then in the eve when the sun goes down popping again and dent gone
What you have is called an "oil can" dent.

Many Airstreams have them, but few people ever notice them.

They hurt nothing and cause no problems. Sometimes it may take years for them to quit, or years for them to start.

It has been suggested, that how the trailer may be parked, or loaded, can cause the oil can dents.

Fortunately, they are not permanent, and do not cause any creases in the metal.

Sometimes, a few rivets can be removed from the area, and let the trailer alone for a few days, especially in a hot sun.

Then enlarge the holes and install "Olympic rivets" with vulkem, of course.

That process has been known to correct the "oil canning" some of the time.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
So sorry to hear this. Remember that he probably feels worse about it than you do...
And feeling worse by the minute. He's looking at this thread right now saying,
"HEY!!! It isn't embarrassing enough that I dented our brand new trailer, huh? Now you're broadcasting it all over the internet while I'm at the store trying to fix it! I SAID I'm sorry!"
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
does he think he's the first one to do this? he has a lot of company!
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #19
1992 34' Excella
Hansville , Washington
A new day, a new dent, a new way. . .

I'm looking forward to trying some of the remedies in the thread--thanks to all for the input.

I thought I would advise our latest experience resulting in a new dent. We traveled with our coach to Redlands, CA where my wife had been invited to judge the Redlands Horticultural and Improvement Society's annual flower show. As my bride is from Redlands, she has many friends and we normally park the rig on a very wide road adjacent a local high school. It is usually quite peaceful and simple even if the little darlings seem to drive at least twice the speed limit.

Being a hot day we had the forward and after windows open to allow the breeze to flow through the coach. Apparently the open rear window was too much for some of the little darlings to resist. The local weapon of choice is apparently oranges; launched from cars and trucks as they pass the coach.

Ripping the window screen and severing several of the curtain slides as they put a couple of oranges into the rear of the coach was not too bad as we can quickly and easily correct these deficiencies.

However, the little darlings blessed us with one last pass at an estimated speed of 75 MPH launching an orange that missed the window, but glanced off the street side about two feet above the panel joint. The resulting dent is about a foot in diameter and perhaps two inches deep. At least it doesn't have any 'sharp' edges although there is some evidence of surface stretching at the forward end. The remains of the orange stopped across the road about 50 feet past the point of impact.

The Sheriff advised that there had been quite a bit of local gang activity in the area that evening, but declined to do anything but issue a 'report number'.

Suction cups should be waiting for us when we arrive home, so we will give it a try in an attempt to gain a '50 foot' repair.

Any further comments on 'technique' will be much appreciated.

welsht is offline   Reply With Quote