Old 11-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Ok, thanks all. I'm going to lowes or harbor freight to get another compounder. What are your recommendations?

Old 11-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Variable sped and horsepower is a must. You will be using a lower rpm for polishing, but, the unit must have enough torque that it won't slow down. A Harbor Freight unit probably won't last you too long. You need something you can get both hands on and bear down on it without slow down. Takes some muscle besides horsepower. You will end up with swirls in the aluminum when finished. You will need a Cyclo polisher to get the swirls out as final step. But a Cyclo is not the choice for the initial compounding and polishing work.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
What am I doing wrong??!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Like I said...THAT type polisher is NOT going to get it done.
So, I couldn't find a 7" Mikita polisher, so I ordered one from Amazon. Should be here on Mon. Meanwhile, I'm using my porter cable random speed orbital polisher-with nuvite f6 and c. I have a lot of corrosion, apparently. I chose a panel on the TT to work on that was not original. No clear coat, super corroded. 5 hours of polishing, wiping with mineral spirits, rinse, repeat, about a 3 foot section. Progress, but slow. I read that my porter cable is 6500 rpms. Should I slow it down? I've tried from 3-5. I actually enjoy slow, tedious, mindless activity, so I'm in no rush. Just want to make sure I'm not screwing something up. I'm attaching photo of the "new" piece. The panel above I had not completely ridded of clear coat (have now), so you'll see that. Photo will prob be sideways, too. Thanks for your help! This site is a lifesaver!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	252060  
Old 11-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
That's helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Variable sped and horsepower is a must. You will be using a lower rpm for polishing, but, the unit must have enough torque that it won't slow down. A Harbor Freight unit probably won't last you too long. You need something you can get both hands on and bear down on it without slow down. Takes some muscle besides horsepower. You will end up with swirls in the aluminum when finished. You will need a Cyclo polisher to get the swirls out as final step. But a Cyclo is not the choice for the initial compounding and polishing work.
Thanks! I have no upper body strength, but have a son who does! I'm confused by the info I've gotten that says one pass you'll see shiny metal. All I see is black smudges. It takes MULTIPLE passes to get it to where I can see metal, after wiping down with mineral spirits. Don't get me wrong, I actually kind of enjoy this, so long as the weather is good! January and February won't be so forgiving as today's 70 degrees.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasafari View Post
I read that my porter cable is 6500 rpms. Should I slow it down? I've tried from 3-5. I actually enjoy slow, tedious, mindless activity, so I'm in no rush.
Hign rpm can build up too much heat and actually scorch the metal causing permanent damage, Also harder to control due to the gyroscopic force it creates. Think 1000 to 1500 rpm. Yes you can see bright metal with one pass, but the only way I know of to do this is with a buffing wheel and a tripoli bar, but that is still just a beginning. Think Karate Kid "wax on wax off". Sounds like you have found the Zen piece. Without it, it's drudgery. And I hope yu have figured out to wear your oldest clothes and cover your head. A simple paper mask is not a bad idea either. Have you long hair? Make sure it is tied up. Get it caught up in a polisher and it will pull the scalp right off your head, or worse.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Spending too much time on one spot can also cause an orange peel effect. Be sure to keep feathering your work out.
I polished injection molds for many years as a side job and learned this early on in my training.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Progress!

I'm still using my little polisher and it's doing a decent job. My larger Makita comes tomorrow. I'm working on the bottom until I get my scaffolding. But I think I'm getting the hang of this. Fortunately, that pitting is only in one area so far, so she will have her beauty marks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	252123  
Old 11-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Hign rpm can build up too much heat and actually scorch the metal causing permanent damage, Also harder to control due to the gyroscopic force it creates. Think 1000 to 1500 rpm. Yes you can see bright metal with one pass, but the only way I know of to do this is with a buffing wheel and a tripoli bar, but that is still just a beginning. Think Karate Kid "wax on wax off". Sounds like you have found the Zen piece. Without it, it's drudgery. And I hope yu have figured out to wear your oldest clothes and cover your head. A simple paper mask is not a bad idea either. Have you long hair? Make sure it is tied up. Get it caught up in a polisher and it will pull the scalp right off your head, or worse.
Long hair or a long beard, trust me.