Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Improvising a Bumper

Howdy,

2019 Sport 22FB.

One of my concerns is no bumper! Looks like ~$1000 to install factory option and not something I could do today on my own.

BUT Please see photo! View from rear underneath.

What ARE these brackets I see on just about every recent AS I've looked at? I know the factory bumper does not use these and not sure what they're attached to.

Looks like I could fashion a simple bumper with aluminum stock and attach here. It wouldn't be to save high impacts but those stupid moments when backing in super slow and .....bonk!

BUT they may be attached to something weaker and more vital and impacting them cause more or worse damage.

I'm full timing on the road and no telling if and when I could get a real factory bumper installed.

Should I consider this simple option?

Thanks,

Rounder44
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	333451  
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
They are skid plates to help avoid damage to the rear/bottom of your Airstream when taking your trailer through a change in grade - such as entering/exiting a gas station lot.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
SilverFire

2007 19' Bambi
EUGENE , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Howdy,

2019 Sport 22FB.

One of my concerns is no bumper! Looks like ~$1000 to install factory option and not something I could do today on my own.

BUT Please see photo! View from rear underneath.

What ARE these brackets I see on just about every recent AS I've looked at? I know the factory bumper does not use these and not sure what they're attached to.

Looks like I could fashion a simple bumper with aluminum stock and attach here. It wouldn't be to save high impacts but those stupid moments when backing in super slow and .....bonk!

BUT they may be attached to something weaker and more vital and impacting them cause more or worse damage.

I'm full timing on the road and no telling if and when I could get a real factory bumper installed.

Should I consider this simple option?

Thanks,

Rounder44
Rounder44: Those are just protective brackets that if you walk to the rear of the trailer without putting stabilizers out prevent damage to belly pan infrastructure (teeter-totter effect). I thought about putting an aluminum surplus aluminum Mercedes bumper on the back of my 16' Bambi. However, I went to the factory bumper to take advantage of the ability to access the sewer line in the rear bumper compartment. The factory sewer line tube required me to lay on the ground to access sewer line on low clearance Bambi and I figured the bumper compartment was as valuable as the bumper. It is hard to understand why the rear bumper and sewer line compartment are not stock. Best of luck whichever path you choose.
SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote