Old 07-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
Hot water heater compartment cover

I was hoping someone could tell me what is supposed to be in the hole that is empty on the cover to the compartment for my hot water heater. It looks like there should be a locking mechanism of some sort but I am not sure where to find it or even what it looks like. The previous owner has replaced it with a screw.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	215470   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	215471  

Jeremy9107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
I believe you are looking for this.

Camco Cam Locks for RV Water Heater - Steel - Qty 2 Camco RV and Camping CAM09213

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The locks at that link are the standard lock - they go through a slot in the cover and allow you to even put a padlock through them. My cover - and any stock covers I've seen - don't have those holes.
"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Superannuated Member
2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
Jeremy, that is not the stock cover. OEM is painted steel and someone (PO?) has fabricated an aluminum one to match the trailer. Pretty good job, too. Is the old cover underneath? My trailer has diamond deckplate alum over the steel courtesy of PO.
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
I wouldn't doubt that this cover is not a stock cover, and there is not an older one underneath. This is a 1970 Caravanner and I just bought a new water heater that came with a cover that has the opening that is described above. I am going to stick with this one though cause it matches my trailer's aluminum (better than the white cover that came with the new water heater). I just wish I had something better than a screw to keep it closed. There is a mechanism on the inside that almost makes it look like the type of lock that is on the rear bumber compartment though.
Jeremy9107 is offline   Reply With Quote