Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Help! Big Dent bumper

My 73 Overlander trailer got a huge dent in the bumper. Can it be pounded it out? Can it be fixed? Is the bumper aluminum. Any advise would be appreciated. Check out the pick

I just noticed the picture is turned sidways. I can not get it to turn clockwise. Just lean your head to the left and look.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dent airstream.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	160270  
Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep. I just did mine, but you will need a porta power or a jake you can get in there to push it out with. And a bunch of pounding. It won't be perfect but you can get it with a bit of work

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
My 73 Overlander trailer got a huge dent in the bumper. Can it be pounded it out? Can it be fixed? Is the bumper aluminum. Any advise would be appreciated. Check out the pick

I just noticed the picture is turned sidways. I can not get it to turn clockwise. Just lean your head to the left and look.

Brian
Brian.

All you can try to do is pull or push out the dent.

If the bumper tears, then you will know what you have to do.

Use caution, as the bumpers are not very cheap.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
It can be made to look much better but I would remove it from the trailer to do it. That looks to be a twist and end type fold. I've had sucess straightening steel auto bumpers with this type of damage. It may never be perfect, but you can sure make it look much better with a bit of massaging. I had good results straightening the one on our 76 a few years ago.

Bumper Straightening - Airstream Forums

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
At least you had the bumper take the hit, and not the body panels! The newer Sport models, with no bumpers at all, would make me very nervous to move around.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
My 73 Overlander trailer got a huge dent in the bumper. Can it be pounded it out?
Yes it can be pulled out and straightened to a degree. My bumper was messed up when I bought my AS. The previous owner caught it on something and it pulled the bumper out and twisted it slightly. I called all over town for body shops that work with aluminum - yes it is aluminum and found one who had me bring it over. When I walked in with just the bumper (there are only four screws that hold it on) they laughed at me. The owner said that it was twisted which was very difficult to get out but any repair would have to be done with it on the trailer. He also stated that aluminum is hard to work with because it does not bend back like steel and will continue to go back in a wrong shape rather than return. So, we beat it with a body hammer and worked at it by sight and improved it considerably. It is not like new but a vast improvement. Yours is pinched in a tight area. It can be pulled out then pounded to a close position as it was. The roller machines, I was told, would not work with aluminum. The center bottom of my bumper still has a slight appearance of being pulled out. I hope this is encouragement to fix it but also sets a bit of realistic outcome expectation too.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Good luck bending the other side to match
Old 06-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks guys. I am inclined to live with the fix I do. I think I will ge a body hammer and pound it back in place.

Brian
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Mine was pushed in right in the middle when I bought my 02 Safari. I removed the bumper and used a large rubber hammer to pound it back in shape. Yours is damaged worse than mine but I believe you can improve it considerable with a little effort. But I would remove it from the trailer to do the work.