Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

1962 16' Bambi
Edina , Minnesota
Hail *Prevention*??

This is a topic that didn't come up when I searched "hail" on these forums:

I have a 1961 Bambi with a skin in pretty good condition, and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm trying to figure out what to do if I were to get caught out in a hailstorm somewhere. I thought about rigging up some kind of canopy, but the wind would likely tear it away. Covering it with something is a better option, but I don't want to carry a bunch of carpeting around with me. Anyone have some good ideas? I'm assuming that I'll be out somewhere with the kids and won't have time to find shelter.
JBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've thought about this same subject, and I came up with only two practical solutions. 1. Keep the trailer under cover. 2. Pay the price for good insurance to repair it when/if it happens.

Wish there were a better solution.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
We've been hit before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I've thought about this same subject, and I came up with only two practical solutions. 1. Keep the trailer under cover. 2. Pay the price for good insurance to repair it when/if it happens.

Wish there were a better solution.
We were in a hail storm that pounded our trailer with quarter sized hail, both straight down and sideways. It caused $4,000 damage to our Honda Accord and looked to have damaged the trailer. There were dents everywhere. A square trailer next to us lost three windows and also had machine gun dents everywhere. Within three days of sunshine, I cannot find one dent on our trailer. The square trailer next to us still had the machine gun dents everywhere. I was surprised and relieved but I still don't want to be in another storm like that.
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Hail storms come up pretty fast. Hardly time to prepare. Forcasts of hail are not generally precise enough to try to take precautions every time it is forecasted.

If you are parked you could try covering the Bambi with a loose tarp tied securely to the tongue and bumper and side to side underneath. The tarp would provide only a little cushion and any wind may help as it might keep the tarp a few inches off of the skin.

If you are moving seek shelter. Gas station canopies, drive through car wash bays, highway over passes (not safe in really high winds, ) tunnels etc. The leeward side of a taller building provides some protection as hail usually is not falling straight down but coming with the prevailing wind.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Covering the trailer with a tarp could possibly result in a lot of scratches in the skin as the tarp slides across the skin from wind forces.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBob View Post
This is a topic that didn't come up when I searched "hail" on these forums:

I have a 1961 Bambi with a skin in pretty good condition, and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm trying to figure out what to do if I were to get caught out in a hailstorm somewhere. I thought about rigging up some kind of canopy, but the wind would likely tear it away. Covering it with something is a better option, but I don't want to carry a bunch of carpeting around with me. Anyone have some good ideas? I'm assuming that I'll be out somewhere with the kids and won't have time to find shelter.
There are two ways to protect the trailer from hail damage.

1. Have the trailer under cover, like a roof. Tarps will provide zero protection.

2. Avoid the storm.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Cos
2 Rivet Member

1973 21' Globetrotter
Middletown , Rhode Island
I've considered several king size bed quits with some bungee cords or other means to secure them but storing all this would be an issue.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Self inflating raft(s).

Brainstorm, but why not?

Turn upside down, throw at roof, pull air release, secure with tie downs. Most are made of heavy duty materials, some pricey ones of Kevlar. There's a pretty durable air cushion against a hit by a hailstorm. I suppose you might even find an inflatable quonset hut.

Problem is, you get 10 seconds warning if you're lucky. Last time there was hail in our area I was at the grocery store. The grocery store got pummeled, my campground 3 miles away Nothing!

Paula
Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I can't imagine a workable solution for anything but the lightest hail that probably wouldn't damage your trailer anyway. I saw the results of a baseball-sized piece of hail through a windshield one time - if that hit on a non-rib area of the roof, I'm sure it'd go through at least the outer skin.

Side note - during the early 90s, WBCCI had their international rally in Bismarck, ND, and a major hail storm came through. Every Airstream received several thousand dollars worth of damage. Jackson Center was backed up for months. They took to calling them "Bismarcks." (This being before the internet, I actually found out about this from a friend that lived in Bismarck, who let me know via a BBS message network, well before we heard from the club via the Blue Beret or anyone that was there.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
There are two ways to protect the trailer from hail damage.

1. Have the trailer under cover, like a roof. Tarps will provide zero protection.

2. Avoid the storm.

Andy
That's it.

In our part of Minnesota the hail usually comes from the northwest, so parking southeast of large trees can help a great deal. Except for the time the tree fell on my car.

It easier today when traveling with weather radar/forecasts at your cell phones. We have avoided a number of bad-looking thunderstorms with some rerouting as we move along.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
If you are driving along the road and it is going to hail, stop under a bridge. I realize this is easier said than done. Just thought I would throw it out there.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
If you have advance warning that hail is coming, you can put up hail netting. Orchard's use it to protect their tree's.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
If you stop under a bridge, don't run over the Harleys

My trailer came out of FL when it was new, and it's got quite a bit of hail dents in the end caps. Looks like somebody worked on it with a ballpeen hammer. Well, what are you going to do? It's "character"

It doesn't leak, and there's no real practical way to fix it short of replacing the panels. So I just live with it. Be nice if it wasn't there, but cest la vie...
Old 12-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopariac View Post
Within three days of sunshine, I cannot find one dent on our trailer.
My dear departed dad told me once that a quick fix for hail damage is this: (1) park in bright sun on a hot day; (2) gently set an ice cube in each dent; (3) wait for the contraction from sudden cooling of the hot metal to pop the dent right back out. Won't work perfectly on every dent, but it should take care of a significant number of them so there's less to fix the hard way. He said it worked on the wings of a B-52 back when he was a crew chief, so it ought to work on an Airstream, I would think.

I thought the idea was elegant in its simplicity; if ice caused the dent, use ice to fix the dent.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
aluminum & hail

This is a subject that is of concern to many RV owners. I've owned a couple of SOB's, both had some hail damage, but it just wasn't all that much of an issue. I also once had a conversion van that was totaled by softball sized hail.
That being said, I really can't see myself hauling arould quilts, carpet, rubber boats, netting to cover the classic in the event of hail. (couldn't put them on if I had them) I also can't see myself racing for a bridge or overpass or driving around in circles to dodge a dark cloud.
I did build a full cover to protect the classic when in homeport and insured it for full value, full coverage. If I get hail damage I will decide at that time if I can live with the damage, or sell it to someone that can.
A thread of people's experience with hail might make interesting reading.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
If your insurance covers hail damage, it might be worth looking at the exact wording!

When we bought our airstream, I went to our broker for coverage - I asked her to be sure that the company she used did provide hail damage and she assured me all was well so I signed up and paid my $$.

A few weeks later my policy showed up and I decided to read through teh fine print.

There was a hail damage clause - provided the hail caused perforation!

I was a bit upset about that can spoke with the broker to say I didn't feel that was likely to happen and my concern was cosmetic damage to teh trailer significantly reducing its value and being costly to repair.

She assured me that perforation happened all the time (?) but I decided to switch insurance companies to one that didn't include the weasel words! Not surprisingly, It did cost me more!

I suppose perforation of the skylights could easily happen, but I was afraid that company one would only have paid to replace the skylights!

(In any event I have already changed them for the far more substantial polycarbonate ones.)

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have been caught several hail storms. Once in the Airstream. The Airstream was not damaged much. One other storm pretty much totaled a Toyota Corona. One destroyed the roof on my house, but we were off on an Airstream caravan at the time so the trailer missed it. My experience tells me that there is often nothing you can do to avoid hail. Hail storms tend to come quickly. I think hail damage is just one of the risks of traveling with an Airstream. Maybe store it under a shelter when not in use.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi JBob: I have often thought about it althought I have not yet done anything about it. I have purchased a large roll of 1/4" thick and 4' wide closed surface foam, that apears to be urethane. It is very soft and very flexible and impossible to tear. I am considering to glue two strips side by side with canvas strip as a connecting hinge when I find proper glue. On each side along the edge of the full lentgh I will insert a rope into canvas strip into glued in pocket. Two tennis balls fastened to a 8' thin rope at each end of the fore and aft rope can be tossed over the trailer to pull the cover over the roof. Third rope and ball can be added in the middle. Tie the fore and aft ropes to the bumper and A frame in the front and you are done. For the ease of storage, the cover can be folded in half at the center hinge and rolled up. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
You all obviously have never experienced Colorado hail
I have seen watermelon size chunks fall from the sky. There is nothing safe from that!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
You all obviously have never experienced Colorado hail
I have seen watermelon size chunks fall from the sky. There is nothing safe from that!
The world record hailstone (Keloland, South Dakota, July 2010) weighed less than 2 pounds and was about 6 inches in diameter (18 inches in circumference when measured by the National Weather Service). This set the world record for both the largest and the heaviest hailstone ever recorded. It was only one-third as dense as water; more of a snowball than an ice chunk.

Colorado must grow some awfully small watermellons.