Old 12-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
aluminum & hail

This is a subject that is of concern to many RV owners. I've owned a couple of SOB's, both had some hail damage, but it just wasn't all that much of an issue. I also once had a conversion van that was totaled by softball sized hail.
That being said, I really can't see myself hauling arould quilts, carpet, rubber boats, netting to cover the classic in the event of hail. (couldn't put them on if I had them) I also can't see myself racing for a bridge or overpass or driving around in circles to dodge a dark cloud.
I did build a full cover to protect the classic when in homeport and insured it for full value, full coverage. If I get hail damage I will decide at that time if I can live with the damage, or sell it to someone that can.
A thread of people's experience with hail might make interesting reading.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
If your insurance covers hail damage, it might be worth looking at the exact wording!

When we bought our airstream, I went to our broker for coverage - I asked her to be sure that the company she used did provide hail damage and she assured me all was well so I signed up and paid my $$.

A few weeks later my policy showed up and I decided to read through teh fine print.

There was a hail damage clause - provided the hail caused perforation!

I was a bit upset about that can spoke with the broker to say I didn't feel that was likely to happen and my concern was cosmetic damage to teh trailer significantly reducing its value and being costly to repair.

She assured me that perforation happened all the time (?) but I decided to switch insurance companies to one that didn't include the weasel words! Not surprisingly, It did cost me more!

I suppose perforation of the skylights could easily happen, but I was afraid that company one would only have paid to replace the skylights!

(In any event I have already changed them for the far more substantial polycarbonate ones.)

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have been caught several hail storms. Once in the Airstream. The Airstream was not damaged much. One other storm pretty much totaled a Toyota Corona. One destroyed the roof on my house, but we were off on an Airstream caravan at the time so the trailer missed it. My experience tells me that there is often nothing you can do to avoid hail. Hail storms tend to come quickly. I think hail damage is just one of the risks of traveling with an Airstream. Maybe store it under a shelter when not in use.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi JBob: I have often thought about it althought I have not yet done anything about it. I have purchased a large roll of 1/4" thick and 4' wide closed surface foam, that apears to be urethane. It is very soft and very flexible and impossible to tear. I am considering to glue two strips side by side with canvas strip as a connecting hinge when I find proper glue. On each side along the edge of the full lentgh I will insert a rope into canvas strip into glued in pocket. Two tennis balls fastened to a 8' thin rope at each end of the fore and aft rope can be tossed over the trailer to pull the cover over the roof. Third rope and ball can be added in the middle. Tie the fore and aft ropes to the bumper and A frame in the front and you are done. For the ease of storage, the cover can be folded in half at the center hinge and rolled up. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 12-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
You all obviously have never experienced Colorado hail
I have seen watermelon size chunks fall from the sky. There is nothing safe from that!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
You all obviously have never experienced Colorado hail
I have seen watermelon size chunks fall from the sky. There is nothing safe from that!
The world record hailstone (Keloland, South Dakota, July 2010) weighed less than 2 pounds and was about 6 inches in diameter (18 inches in circumference when measured by the National Weather Service). This set the world record for both the largest and the heaviest hailstone ever recorded. It was only one-third as dense as water; more of a snowball than an ice chunk.

Colorado must grow some awfully small watermellons.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Nonetheless at 32 meters a second nothing short of plate steel will save you from dents. I saw a whole lot of new units last summer at Bill Thomas.. all look like they were hit with cannon balls. Even the sides were crunched. I should have taken pic. Was sad
Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #22

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Nonetheless at 32 meters a second nothing short of plate steel will save you from dents.
No argument there. Just poking fun at the notion of "watermelon-sized" hail, is all. No offense meant.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Self inflating raft(s).

Brainstorm, but why not?

Paula
Buy several trampolines and bolt them to your roof.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #24
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
OK so it was a smallish Colorado Front Range Watermelon!
You don't get those down in your neck of the woods?
Do you even get hail in Louisiana?
I have family in Denim Springs, never mentioned it.

Takes an awful lot to offend..... something like saying "despite your trailer having 3 axles, it really doesn't look like it's 34' ".

Stuff like that...
Old 12-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Do you even get hail in Louisiana?
I have family in Denim Springs, never mentioned it.
Not much hail in south Louisiana. A light dusting of pea-sized hail once in a great while during a summer thunderstorm, that's about it. Rather that than a hurricane, though!

I grew up in southwest Oklahoma. We got hail there, plenty often enough. Maybe not the size of a Colorado Front Range Melon, but enough to dimple my car all over like it was a golf ball. Rather that than a tornado, too.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I've thought about the hail situation. I don't have a roof to cover my trailer. But if I saw a big hail-filled storm coming, I think I'd run out there with a couple of sleeping bags & toss them over the trailer & hope for the best. I know, it sound like a crazy person, but aren't most of us on here crazy people? Of course, I'm not always home when a big storm comes through, but if I were.........

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I've thought about the hail situation. I don't have a roof to cover my trailer. But if I saw a big hail-filled storm coming, I think I'd run out there with a couple of sleeping bags & toss them over the trailer & hope for the best. I know, it sound like a crazy person, but aren't most of us on here crazy people? Of course, I'm not always home when a big storm comes through, but if I were.........
Just a couple of sleeping bags? Throw them over the front and rear caps. Not only are they the most expensive panels (compound curves), they are the easiest to dent due to the forming process.

Mine looked like this when I got it, so I don't sweat it so much. The back looks fine. Word is that it was towed through a hailstorm.

I will say that I see no evidence of even small watermelon sized impacts, thank goodness. Maybe some squash sized though.

On edit, small yellow crookneck squash, not giant zucchini.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Just a couple of sleeping bags? Throw them over the front and rear caps. Not only are they the most expensive panels (compound curves), they are the easiest to dent due to the forming process.

Mine looked like this when I got it, so I don't sweat it so much. The back looks fine. Word is that it was towed through a hailstorm.

I will say that I see no evidence of even small watermelon sized impacts, thank goodness. Maybe some squash sized though.

On edit, small yellow crookneck squash, not giant zucchini.
Oooh....you'd need more than a couple sleeping bags! But my little trailer is only 17 ft. long, so a couple would do it!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote