Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Grease / Lubrication

I've long wished I had a list of best lubricants to use outside and inside the Airstream - along with a good maintenance schedule.

What is best to keep things moving freely without attracting dirt. Just need to do steps, stabilizers, etc. now.

Thanks in advance.

Paula
Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I've been having good luck with 'Fluid Film', which is is a lanolin based lubricant.
Fluid FilmŪ | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I use aerosol Teflon dry lubricant for places and things where WD-40 and regular lubricating oil is too messy or draws dust and dirt. This is available from auto parts and home improvement stores, and even hobby shops, under many different labels and descriptions. I have even found this product labeled as a candle-mold release agent.

Just look for an aerosol can that looks like spray paint, with Teflon, TFE or tetrafluoroethylene listed as the main ingredient, that has the keywords "dry lubricant".

Note: This lubricant leaves a slight overspray of white Teflon on the surrounding surface, which can be wiped off easily, if desired.

Below is a listing for a typical product. However, this lubricant may be available locally under a different label, at a cheaper price:

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-Sti.../dp/B003UTX0R8

For example, I bought this at a local Autozone:

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-...ef=pd_sim_sg_5
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I use aerosol Teflon dry lubricant for places and things where WD-40 and regular lubricating oil is too messy or draws dust and dirt. This is available from auto parts and home improvement stores, and even hobby shops, under many different labels and descriptions. I have even found this product labeled as a candle-mold release agent.

Just look for an aerosol can that looks like spray paint, with Teflon, TFE or tetrafluoroethylene listed as the main ingredient, that has the keywords "dry lubricant".

Note: This lubricant leaves a slight overspray of white Teflon on the surrounding surface, which can be wiped off easily, if desired.

Below is a listing for a typical product. However, this lubricant may be available locally under a different label, at a cheaper price:

Amazon.com: DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant Aerosol Spray, 10 Oz.: Sports & Outdoors

For example, I bought this at a local Autozone:

Liquid Wrench L512 Dry Lubricant with CERFLON - 11 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive
X2

A dry film aerosol lubricant is the all around handy choice. I have others for more specialized purposes, but this type serves best for TT GP. Combined with a penetrant (usually liquid) one has -- with disposable paper or cloth -- a one-two punch on "rust-free and freely working".

NAPA usually carries quality brands (as their real business is not so much retail, but wholesale to repair shops). I have preferred CRC brand over the years. (Jig-A-Loo is another brand of a different type I have also used as GP).

Internal lock mechanisms, like sewing machine or gun works, will benefit more from other types. In those cases, a quart of synthetic ATF dispensed from an applicator can keep them running. Combined with some acetone, the ATF will "defeat" about any rust problem found in devices seeing use, limited or otherwise. (ATF lacks the needed additives for combusion byproduct control found in motor oil thus leaving almost no residue). Along wtih acetone, lighter fluid is a tool to get old, dried grease out of a mechanism not easily opened (assuming one is removing an item for a partial breakdown/renovation).

A box that contains these which will not allow leakage is key. Use dividers to separate. And understand flammability of both types. I would not keep paper or cloth stored in combination with this.

Whatever your TV look in the owners manual for lubricants/greases in a list or chart. Use that as starting point (if one wishes, as with a spare tire, to be thorough in supplies. NLGI #2 grease is about the only addition to the above. Where engine oil is called for, use ATF).

If a DF aerosol, ATF +/- Acetone, or #2 grease can't do it . . call NASA.

The aero DF is enough to keep for a fulltimer. A bit of oil can always be taken from an engine dipstick for small problems, etc.

Use and dispose of the other types once a bigger project is done, IMO. The risks (leakage high among them) outweigh the purchase price versus buying them several times over a decade (except where they are TV specific and kept in that vehicle in a safe, clean manner).

Where an older TT may need a year or three of work, overall, a newer TT may not need much of anything. The TT's which are genuine "projects" will probably find the owner with a shelf of products . . but note that the shop or garage is where they are kept.

IOW, if one is down to maintenance only, minimize. "Ideal" doesn't mean too much in re basic, scheduled lube . . only that one do it.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
What Phoenix said.

Remember, WD 40 is not a lubricant.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Boeshield T9 leaves a film of paraffin wax so works good inside and out, but it's messy and excess can collect dirt. I wouldn't spray it inside; spray some in the cover, dab it on with a Q-Tip. Trying to travel light, I carry this and CorrosionX, which is cleaner and a good exterior lube as well as corrosion preventive. CorrosionX on the shell, Boeshield T9 underneath, 303 Aerospace UV protectant on exterior seals/plastics, window seals so they don't stick.

We could all contribute to a Maintenance Schedule, but it would be different for where you live and travel. But it should begin when bringing the Airstream home and regularly after that. And include inspections with a moisture detection meter for leaks, corrosion preventive treatment, and repair of any problems found.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote