Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
ND

Welcome. Looks like you and your husband have the right attitude and the basic knowlege to fix everything that you need to take care of on the Airstream. That is not to say that you won't need to farm a little of the work out, but with the information available on the Forum I think that you will do just fine. And remember when everything is completed you will have everything new and in some respects better than a factory built stream in many ways ( like insulation, LED lights, disc brakes, real wood cabinets, etc.).

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #22
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
To All who have been kind enough to supply me with some wisdom, I have taken some bold steps in response. First thing I did was get a trailer hitch device that allows one person (in theory-haven't tried it yet) to back up the truck to the camper. Hopefully that will avoid any marital discord when we actually get to take it out camping. Well, most marital discord.....

Second item: we have taken the plunge and have gotten a permit to put up a building for the Airstream. Concrete should be going in the next week or so and then construction begins on that. In this climate, we likely won't get too far before the weather shuts us down for the winter but we have to try. My husband is a multitalented man that is willing to do whatever it takes to make it right and done well. He is a perfectionist so I know whatever he does, it will be done right. HE is doing all of the building himself-he built our home and shop as well.

Third item: we have decided to completely lift the shell off of the frame and then perhaps send the frame out for welding and full inspection. We are not sure how to lift it off but we are hoping once the storage building is to a point we can pull it in, we can hoist if off with some sort of ingenuity. I count on all of the wonderful advice I read from these posts to help us!

Fourth item: Lots of people have said welding is not that difficult and that we should just get a welder and do it ourselves. Any advice on that? I am afraid of making something not the way it should be and then having problems down the road. Seems as if we are out of our league here....

Fifth item: To tell you how optimistic I am, I have already purchased the fabric for the window curtains. My husband says I'm nuts to be thinking that far down the road but it helps to think someday, someday I will be ready to get sewing for the Airstream.

Thanks for all of the advice and guidance. Much appreciated!
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1993 34' Limited
Hugo , Minnesota
Here's an idea we tried that worked pretty well. Try and find another smaller trailer, even an SOB that you can use to travel and camp with while working on your Airstream. That way your traveling and camping, even shorter distances, but not just "working" on trailers all the time. You probably didn't buy your Sovereign to "work on" all the time anyway. You bought it to go camping in. Don't forget your primary reason for the purchase. Sounds like you might have a couple of years of work ahead.
fstuneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Tuttle , Oklahoma
From the sounds of it I think a welder is a good idea. Welding is not overly difficult but it does take practice. Most importantly you both can do it!
My wife and I both weld. I'm just so so, she was an aircraft certified welder for many years.
If I have a problem she dons the welding hood and fixes it! I have known many welders, none as good as her.
A good ole stick welder will do most anything you will want to weld if it is steel.
You can get a Mig welder that will do steel, aluminum and stainless. They are very easy to use but don't bother with cheapies.
A good one will be rated at higher duty cycle (welding time) and probably 220 volt. You can get them with all the accessories you will need for the different metals.
Practice is an absolute necessity especially if doing structural welds. If the weld looks perfect it is probably good.
A good way to test yourself is butt weld two pieces together (edge to edge) clamp one side in a vice near the weld and bend the other over as far as possible. If it doesn't break or crack you are good to go.
Finally don't assume just because someone says they are a welder they will do any better job than you would with a little practice.
1bbboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #25
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
So, let's just say for sake of conversation, that we decide to buy a welder. The machine, not the person What would you out there that know about welding machines suggest? Are we wasting our time trying to learn something completely new? We are fairly quick study people...even for a couple of Norweigans...
Old 10-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #26
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Welding steel is not a big deal. However it might be prudent to hire a pro with experiance. Especially with the length of your rig (see rear end seperation issues) I am getting ready for a shell off full monty type resto. There are a lot of great examples of this. Many have done it so dont be afraid get pumped!!
I am hireing a welder who is going to teach me to weld at the same time! Lots of luck!!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Browse craigslist using SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist and input your largest commute to inspect the machine ... search for MIG, Stick welders in the voltage you have access to (120, 240). Anything branded Miller is pretty much bullet proof.

If you have a hurry up need there are 20% off coupons for Harbor Freight items, even sale items - but don't expect them to be robust or last more than a few seasons...
Old 10-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #28
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Welding is a skill that requires knowledge and practice. It is far better and cheaper to hire someone to do any welding you need. Unless you are going to be doing it every day or at least, every week. Then it might be worth buying a welder and learning how to use it. Otherwise, just hire someone when you need something welded. That's what I do now, and I worked in garages for 20 years. For one thing it is cheaper, for another thing an experienced welder who practices every day, can do a much better job,and quicker than I can, by far.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #29
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I would recommend paying someone to do your welding for you, at least this go around. Some people pick up on welding very quickly and some people that claim to weld shouldn't be allowed.

However I would suggest you learn how to weld, it is an indispensable skill IMHO. The better you get at it the more uses you will find for it. I don't claim to be a welder but I can get two pieces of metal to stay together...we call it farm welding

I own both Miller and Lincoln welders and both are good machines.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I would get the use of a welding machine, that will do 150 amps or so with SMAW, get some pieces of 3/8 inch or 1/4 inch angle iron, practice doing some complete penetration welds, vertical up with no stress riser configurations. Since you're in the Dakotas, use a 7018 rod with Charpy Impact of minus 40 charactistics. When you're confident with your welds, then hire the local vocational schol teach to watch your welds on your frame. Don't know those words? Look them up before you hire some guy with a "Certified Welder" mispelled sign on the side of his pickup truck. You'll be happy you did and comfortable with your frame.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #31

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welding is not inherently difficult but it does take knowledge, practice, a steady hand, and the correct equipment. Being able to diagnose setup problems, select consumables appropriate for the process and weld position, and understanding joint geometries is critical to your success.

The standard reference for welding basics is Lincoln's Welding Handbook. I would recommend it to anyone involved, or getting into welding.

https://ssl.lincolnelectric.com/linc...asp?prodnum=PH

There are numerous welding processes of varying complexity and cost but common ones are Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW, aka Stick), Gas Metal Arc Welding GMAW, aka MIG), and Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW). You can buy hobby rigs at Home Depot and such that will perform any of these but they are limited in capacity. For the average Do-it-yourselfer a 200 to 250 amp unit such as a Miller Millermatic, Lincoln Power MIG, or ESAB MigMaster offers tremendous flexibility but they're not cheap.

We have SMAW, GMAW, and FCAW processes in our shop but most of my work is with GMAW or FCAW for materials measuring 5/16" thick or less. For applications such as an Airstream frame repair my machine/process of choice would be a Millermatic 252 running an E71T-X FCAW wire, or an ER70S-X GMAW wire.

I urge anyone to spend a fair amount of time practicing your skills before attempting any project welding. I would also add that most Vocational Welding Programs in this part of the country are more than capable and willing to do work of this type for the benefit of their students. Usually the cost is no more than the donation of materials to do the project.
Good Luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 AM   #32
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Funny you should mention that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
I would get the use of a welding machine, that will do 150 amps or so with SMAW, get some pieces of 3/8 inch or 1/4 inch angle iron, practice doing some complete penetration welds, vertical up with no stress riser configurations. Since you're in the Dakotas, use a 7018 rod with Charpy Impact of minus 40 charactistics. When you're confident with your welds, then hire the local vocational schol teach to watch your welds on your frame. Don't know those words? Look them up before you hire some guy with a "Certified Welder" mispelled sign on the side of his pickup truck. You'll be happy you did and comfortable with your frame.

I did call our local welding instructor and he has offered to come and take a look at it for us. Problem right now is we don't have the frame completely off the shell. He wants it completely off and then he could give us advice. He is a really nice guy and I trust his opinion. I don't want to take advantage of him though. I am sure there are plenty of people wanting advice.

We still haven't figured out what is the best way to get the frame off without damaging the shell. We also have to pull the water tanks off-someone put a two by four across the back tank and it is hanging on there by a thread at this point. Amazing we could haul this thing back to ND.

We did buy a "How to Weld" book yesterday but are still thinking for this first time, we need to get someone who isn't on page 14 of the welding book. Thanks for all of your help!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #33
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Wink Another month closer to the start of the beginning of the initial phases

My better half would have finished his welding class tonight if it weren't for the 10 inches of snow that blew in yesterday. I am guessing he will get another make up class and then he will be ready to start thinking about the beginning of his initial welding phase on the frame. He said at lunch that he was thinking of having his welding instructor weld up the new frame. He said it might be too big of a project for a new beginner and I replied "Whatever you think. Let's just get to the point we can go camping."

Big plans for Saturday to head over the the local welding shop to look at welders and determine possibilities. Ah, the height of adventure and excitement....it is if you have Airstream dreams and camping obsessions. On a crazier note, I did make up welding doo rags for all occasions...you name it, I made it. Route 66, travel, football, cooking, hunting, etc. and etc. Husband said "Stop already." I guess I don't show him the other 14 I made....

I think I am going cabin crazy at this point. Time to get outside and to work on the Albatross.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0704[1].jpg
Views:	153
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	125153